PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• just_the_two_of_us
    Options
    Quick update - been to Home Bags for stock stuff and just done a big shop in Mr A*di to use the £5 off voucher. !st time I have bought one - but as it's payday today have stocked up on meat for freezer and think I now have all the main meal meat for the month (we are away a week).

Not much money left but have shared it out between the three weeks and am sure we can manage.
    Good luck to everyone for June budgets - especially the newbies. You'll get good ideas and support on this thread. It has made such a difference to our shopping habits.
    July 16 £95/£200
    Nov 16 £0/£200

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don't need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself." Thich Nhat Hahn
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello everyone, please count me in this month although I work on a weekly budget which at the moment is £20 a week and starts every Friday, so I am starting today. There's only me and various dgc that come to stay whilst their mum's are at work. I'm also trying to eat out of the cupboards as I have quite a bit in. So tonight dgc is having sausage pizza and I'm having a pasta dish out of Jacks book, and I haven't spent anything today either so £20 still intact!
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• Treadingwater84
    Options
    Well I hit the shops again this afternoon and I'm now done for the next week :j

I've been to 5 different shops today. Luckily 3 were close together, 1 in walking distance from home and the last 1 was next to the petrol station which I needed to do too.

In total I've spent £45.33/ £300. I'm so proud of myself, a weeks shopping hasn't been that low in years. Now I'm hoping I can continue to be under budget, even with the dreaded nappies included next week.
    Grocery Challenge June £229.58/300
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,927 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NSD here again.
    Prawn Stir Fry for dinner here.

[IMG][/img]Fridaysdinner_zps8d372099.jpg
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/325
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £51.35/£100 NSD - 76
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £312.42/£500
  • Aldahbra
    Aldahbra Posts: 317 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :TA no spend day! That's a good start.

My budget doesn't start until the 6th but didn't see the point in joining Mays thread.
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge:j: week 1 :(
    target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: £100/£500
    left to spend £400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello everyone

Please can I join in again, with a budget of £400 for June? Didn't officially join in for May, but haven't done too badly. Need to clamp down on spends, though, as I go to uni in September, and littlies move into new schools, so more expense in those areas, therefore food budget needs to come down. My month is a calendar one, 1st to 30th June.

Off to catch up!

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • laura_hoggle
    laura_hoggle Posts: 468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok, I'm checking in again for June with an increased budget, as I can't seem to stick to what I'm setting!! I'm aiming for £250 this month, for 2 adults and a kitten which we should be collecting next weekend!

When I look at other peoples budgets, this seems like an awful lot :o so I know we need to work to bring it down. I now include all food for us and the kitten, alcohol, and household purchases, but not toiletries as DH and I buy our own.

I started our month early, on Monday 26th this week as DH and I went to Mr T together (first time we had been to a supermarket together in ages!) and spent £33.74. The month will finish on Wednesday 25th June for us. I'm going to try a few online shops this month using coupons, have done an order today with Mr S to come on Sunday and have stocked up on kitten food which is on offer-the current owner said that's what she is eating now, so I hope she still wants to, otherwise I'll be taking it back!!! I'm hoping that doing shops online will stop some of my impulse buys and make it easier to keep an eye on how much I spend, but we shall see!!
    MFW 2016 #32 £1574.66/£1500:j:j
  • VickyV
    VickyV Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Feeling virtuous today. :A I have done the rest of the batch cooking and now have:
    4 Chicken and veg madras meals (for 2)
    4 Chicken and veg thai red curry meals (for 3)
    2 small and 3 large cheese and salami pizzas
    3 large chicken and veg pies (for 3-4)
    2 chicken, chorizo and potato meals (for dd)

Think that's it. Couple of minor spends - £4.18 on overpriced veg from the grocer's on the end of the street (ran out of carrots, onions and celery) and £2.20 on extra walnuts. Most of the month's meals are accounted for now so hopefully I'm on track! :D

Vicky x
    Grocery challenge:December 2022 £151.96/£400 . Advent decluttering challenge 47/240.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NSD today and my June budget is firmly shut in my little brown purse .I am home all day tomorrow so it will mean another NSD and Sunday I am at my DDs for dinner so yet another NSD.I have a small shopping list that I keep by the kettle and I try not to go to the shops unless I have 7-10 things on there that's really essentially needed.Shopping list is bare at the moment .I am going to use up some of my long-life milk over the weekend to save me going to buy any fresh stuff.Its only for cereal anyway so I'm not too fussed.
    Tomorrow is going to be a baking day for me as I want to make some lemon drizzle cake and a fruit cake and probably a Victoria sponge cake as well.Some choc chip cookies for the boys for sunday if I don't start to flag too much as well :):):)
    I have a head of celery in the fridge that could do with being turned into soup so that will be made as well.Plus I am making a lasagne for my friend and I's lunch for Monday so if I do it tomorrow and freeze it until Sunday night it should be OK.Plus with all the baking to be done I won't have time to go anywhere near a shop :):):)
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    edited 30 May 2014 at 11:28PM
    Options
    I know it's not gc related completely, but can I weigh in on the bills thing? I get paid on the 23rd of the month, and used to try and work from then, but always got stressed. Then I had a brainwave! I opened a separate bills account. After payday, I put a set amount into that account, and that's my bills paid for the month. As for those awkward quarterly or yearly bills, I put the right percentage each month into the bills account, so every month my bills cost me the same, and I never have any expensive months that way. It also doesn't matter when in the month the bills come out, as they're already paid for. I work things like the gc and pocket money by the calendar month, as I've had a week to sort out the main money. Thought I'd share that, as it has relieved a huge amount of stress, and it's actually a really simple, manageable system.

Anyway, today was a spendy day for the gc, as I had a random stock up. It'll count in May, as I'm still there, but I'm not sure how much it is yet as I bought some non gc bits too.

Think we're having sweet and sour tomorrow, so I'll need to get a chicken breast out of the freezer in the morning.

Night all,

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport