PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• First spend of the new year - £12.99 on chinese lanterns for DDs birthday
    Will maybe work on separate budget for clothes, birthdays etc as the majority of my grocery budget is not spent on groceries :/
    January grocery challenge £159.43/£250.00
    February grocery challenge £209.53/£200.00
    March grocery challenge £165.66/£190
    April grocery challenge £186.27/£170.00
    May grocery challenge £22.51/£180.00
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would love to see the banana bread recipe. My usual one has milk so I can't eat it. Not entirely a bad thing, but it would be nice to indulge sometimes! :j
    Can't you use a substitute milk - soya, rice or oat or something?
  • ClaireT13
    ClaireT13 Posts: 239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just reporting my final spends of today - £3.05 on bread, cauliflower and leeks.

Signature updated.
    Declutter challenge - 81/1500 (5.4%)
    Make £2,021 in 2021 - £148.95/£2,021 (7.3%)
  • Justamum wrote: »
    Can't you use a substitute milk - soya, rice or oat or something?

I can't have soya either, have tried various grain/nut milks and do not like the flavour which I find will come through even in baking. I do have coconut based milk (not like tinned coconut milk) which I use for some things, but it's too expensive to use for baking. And again, can impart a certain flavour that doesn't always work.

I think it's better to find good dairy free options, rather than substituting. Thanks for the thought though. :)
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    went to As*a and spent £39 so my first spend of the year has commenced ... not sure if this is any help to anyone but tesno has 2kg of red lentils for sale for £1.99
  • lushplus4
    lushplus4 Posts: 289 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Someone in my house has put a whole bag of fresh carrots in the freezer, now I have defrosted and they are a bit brown and limp. Have I lost these or can I make soup anyone please?
  • raphanius
    raphanius Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    just ordered a huge box of tea from victory tea cos they sent me a 25% off code....i may never have to buy tea again! its eroded another £22.49 off the budget though. I've posted the code in the discount codes and vouchers board if anyone is interested.
    Wins: 2008: £606.10 2009: £806.24 2010: £713.47 2011: 328.32
  • mum26
    mum26 Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    Been to Aldi and spent £40 on a huge trolley full of food, then nipped into tesco and spent £10 on hardly anything, will update sig later as don't have reciepts next to me.
  • Ess-six
    Ess-six Posts: 141 Forumite
    Hello Everyone - can I join you please?

I did the GC challenge around 3 years ago and fell off the wagon, but have come to realise that curbing my food spend is the best way for me to cut back and save some pennies - 10 years to retirement and I want to a) get in to good spending/eating habits and b) squirrel some cash away. Luckily we don't have any debts, but we fritter our money away every month and have no idea where it goes, so my New Years resolutions are to budget (and if anyone can help with a spreadsheet to get me started it would be much appreciated) and meal plan.

I've skimmed quickly through this thread and will go back to the begining tonight and read it properly to pick up all your hints and tips - I see that the thread zips along as quickly as it used to!

Please put me down for £250 though to Jan 31st - a bit of a stab in the dark, but it will get me started.
  • hi all hope everyone is well,
    im not too sure about the carrots lush i would say no but really not sure someone will be a long in a minute to help.
    just a quick update went to a**i today for mushroom and onions and two jars of pasta bake so spent £3.22
    then went to mrt's and bought 2 bags of reduced stirfry for tea 2moro for£1 some finest chorizo £2.50 and some ham 61p and garlic bread 64p im not counting the tesco shop as i got a money card this morning from them sent in the post i rang head office the other week about a indian takeaway meal thing i got it was half eaten :mad::eek: couldnt believe it so they sent me a £6 giftcard
    and the money had been taken out from other weeks budget so not counting it twice if that makes sense.
    were having pasta bake for tea with chorizo,onion,mushrooms a bit of garlic and lots of cheese on top and garlic bread i have made this before but just wondering can i freeze it if theres any left???
    so £3.22 to add so spent a total of £7.74 since friday :j:jso £7.26 left to last til friday very doable as i dont need anything but not sure what to do with the money left over each week?? what does every1 else do when theyve got money left over ??
    VSP#17 £2.34
    debt free 26/10/2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family