What return are you targeting?

I'm playing around on Trustnet and Portfolio Visualiser with various mixes of asset classes and volatility and risk level.

One question I've never actually asked myself is "What return do I need?".

Of course the obvious answer to what I want is "as much as possible".

Playing around with (these are simple examples) blends of an equal mix (to avoid manager risk) of:

* Capital Gearing
* Troy Trojan
* Ruffer Total Return
* Senica Diversified Income

(four defensive options that leap to mind)

10 year average returns are 6.6% so you're doubling your return approx every 10 years with a very smooth ride.

Throw in a portion of 100% equities and of course returns improve with some added risk and volatility.

Of course you can't buy past returns but Portfolio Visualiser gives a reasonable insight over long periods of time too.

It has got me thinking how much I need to return vs. how much I want to return.

Anyone care to share how they've worked this out other than a finger in the air?

Comments

• Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The obvious answer is to know how much you need in the future and how much you have now. That enables you to know how much you need to return over X years to get your desired sum. Some people will say they need say £400k to supplement retirement income over 30 years.

I have no interest in the returns question, because I’m not investing for anything other than future provision, whatever that is. I’m in my 20s, have bought a house and got good company pension, saved up 6 months of expenses in cash, and spare funds go into funds every so often.

I invest to safeguard against inflation reducing the spending power of my savings. That’s it at the moment. I’m not investing for anything in particular, so I don’t have a figure of how much I need.

If I did have a say £300k figure to reach over 30 years, I would have to work out what my contributions would be over the 30 years, and thus guessing things like what my salary will be over a lifetime. Not going to be accurate. Plus, with those figures I could just put £10k per year in cash to reach the target, which means I’d miss out on 30 years of fund growth because I didn’t have to take any risk.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 16 June 2019 at 12:29PM
    Aminatidi wrote: »
    Playing around with (these are simple examples) blends of an equal mix (to avoid manager risk) of:

* Capital Gearing
    * Troy Trojan
    * Ruffer Total Return
    * Senica Diversified Income

(four defensive options that leap to mind)

10 year average returns are 6.6% so you're doubling your return approx every 10 years with a very smooth ride.

Throw in a portion of 100% equities and of course returns improve with some added risk and volatility.

Of course you can't buy past returns but Portfolio Visualiser gives a reasonable insight over long periods of time too.
    If you are doing it right, you will be looking at long periods of time and not pinning your hopes on the last ten years.

The market bottom for equities reached during the 'global financial crisis' was March 2009. At that point, the FTSE All-World index had just crashed almost 60% from its peak in USD terms (less than that in GBP, as GBP weakened against dollars from 2007 to 2009). Then in March 2009, world governments slashed interest rates and started a quantitative easing (money printing / bond buying program) which increased the value of bonds and equities and restored confidence in all asset classes.

So if you look now at your 10-year chart for a mixed asset fund - whether it is a defensive fund or a growth fund - and the start point for the chart is something like March 2009 to June 2009, you are including the massive abnormal return available from the market bottom during a rebound from a crash (e.g. in equities, FTSE100 bouncing back from 3500 to over 7000), and you are not including the crash that got it there (FTSE falling from over 6700 in 2007 to 3500 in 2009). And with the QE programs and interest rates hitting all time lows (even negative base rates in some countries or regions) you are picking up the last decade of a 30-35 year bond bull run without seeing what happens to the value of bond funds when interest rates go back up from 1% to 5%.

So, it's no wonder that even 'defensive options' for investing in a mix of stocks and bonds have done very well, while equities have more than doubled in a decade (especially overseas equities, as sterling has fallen to a low recently with USD worth more pounds than a decade ago).

As such, what you might *think* you can get - whether from low risk low volatility funds, or high risk high volatility funds, or something in between - based on the last 10 years of history... is likely to be optimistic, because it would be unreasonable to expect the next 10 years to be as good as the last.
    It has got me thinking how much I need to return vs. how much I want to return.

Anyone care to share how they've worked this out other than a finger in the air?
    Finger in the air is the most common approach.

You are right that a lot of people want the return to be as much as possible, for as little as possible risk - it's a standard request from people who come on here with a windfall and no experience of investing, but even people without a windfall make the same sort of decisions what to buy with their ongoing pension or ISA contributions etc, and hope for as much as they can with as little risk as they can. Some are more realistic in articulating what they really need and what they are willing to risk to get it.

We all have our own landing point for where we sit on a sliding scale of risk given our objectives. For some of us, we might modify our scale to account for where we think different asset classes currently sit on the scale at a point in time. For other people, they don't know much about portfolio allocation theory but just put as much money as they can spare into their company pension using the default option and hope its enough.

For the latter group of people, if it turns out to be too much - what the heck, you can always find ways to spend it, and for a great deal of them they don't have enough money to make their retirement pot 'too big' while making standard investment choices. Finding yourself with too much left over is not something that many people are fortunate enough to encounter.

For me, I don't know what sort of returns I will be able to get over the next 20+ years but I know I will generally need to be willing to take somewhat high risks to get there, because I do want to finish my working life with a lot put away, without wanting 100% equity-type exposure while getting there.

So I have an idea of what sort of risks I am willing to stomach on how much of my portfolio; and whether or not a particular investment could take a place in it or would be preferred to a certain other investment ; and roughly what proportions I am willing to put into what sort of stuff to get exposure to different things while getting a result where the portfolio components aren't all highly correlated but have good potential to contribute to the overall result over my timeframe.

This doesn't mean I know specifically that I either need or will get (e.g.) 7% nominal or 9% nominal annualised return, or inflation-plus-5% or inflation-plus-2%, as it does depend a lot on what markets actually do from their current levels and from future levels when I am investing more. I'm not going to bet the farm on a dream of 10% annualised with huge swings up and down along the way, but neither will I be putting everthing in short dated gilts and treasuries - because I know that the latter definitely won't get me enough growth over a long time period. So I will pick an overall level of risk I'm comfortable with, without knowing exactly what it will give me back.

I am not yet at the stage where I have enough assets that I can realistically think, "OK, I am probably fine from here now with only a moderate return so I will dial down the risks to a much more moderate level even though of course it is nice to have more". Or at the other extreme of mindset, to think "OK I have plenty of assets that I'm not going to run out even if I take high risk choices so I can actually go full on in high risk areas because they're quite interesting to me, and see what happens". Hopefully one day I will be in the financial position to do one of those two things.

What I do know is that I need to put away a good portion of my money now, efficiently, to provide for the future, but am not going to pin my hopes on an exact rate of return magically happening even if balance of probability says it should.

As such, I am currently more of the mindset which says that I will probably want £500k to £1m+ (today's money) of non-home assets to retire on (assuming the home is paid off also, but in the latter case it might not need to be); though what I'll actually be able to achieve will depend on my career and lifestyle choices and the vagaries of the various asset markets over the next 15-25 years or however long I can keep working. And I should get there if I put away good chunks of money every year into the types of assets I am comfortable with. So, I do.

What I don't have is a model that says I will need a retirement pot of exactly £684,136 in 2036 because the market conditions at that time will allow me to extract £x a year increasing with CPI over exactly 36.72 years, and working back to now I need to get y% straight line growth over 17 years to reach the £684,136 in real terms gross of tax relief, so on top of my existing pension pot I will need contributions of £z per month, and to deliver the y% I will have to use this specific portfolio blend because that mix of assets will definitely get the exact y% needed.

Because that way, lies disappointment. For me, it's better to just invest a lot of money into a diversified portfolio of things whose risk/return prospects I can tolerate. A proper financial planner would probably be shocked that the goal planning was not more scientific. As I get closer to my objective of stopping working, I imagine it will get more scientific; likewise if I was helping out friends or family members who refused to buy proper advice from a professional we would get more scientific in what they were looking to achieve because I would have a greater sense of responsibility if it wasn't just me and partner/offspring being impacted.

I agree with Herbalus that 'guessing' what might happen in the future to salary, ability to save , and to investment returns, is not going to be accurate.
  • DrSyn
    DrSyn Posts: 889 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You indicate you are playing around with various mixes of asset classes volatility and risk levels while trying to avoid manager risk.

I therefore find it strange that no where in your post is there any mention that you have considered passive multi asset funds such as those below, which have a wide diversification while minimising risk at low cost:-

Vantage Life Strategy
    HSBC Global Strategy
    L&G Multi Index Funds
    Blackrock Consensus
    Architas Passive

I would be interested in your reasons for avoiding them, at least for part of your portfolio.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Yes it is clear that looking specifically at the 10 year period going back to June 2019 , is going to give a very positive outlook, and should not be used as a basis to second guess the next 10 years performance.
    Previous estimates ( guesses) I have seen on this forum are that a typical 60% equity fund/default fund might be expected to return 2.5% above inflation over the next 10? years and a more conservative 40% equity fund, or maybe one of the defensive IT's mentioned by the OP , could only return 1.5% above inflation .
    Just guess work of course, and the caution seems to be largely based on the fact that the US stock market is very likely to come off the boil soon.
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,797 Forumite
    DrSyn wrote: »
    You indicate you are playing around with various mixes of asset classes volatility and risk levels while trying to avoid manager risk.

I therefore find it strange that no where in your post is there any mention that you have considered passive multi asset funds such as those below, which have a wide diversification while minimising risk at low cost:-

Vantage Life Strategy
    HSBC Global Strategy
    L&G Multi Index Funds
    Blackrock Consensus
    Architas Passive

I would be interested in your reasons for avoiding them, at least for part of your portfolio.

Those trusts that Aminatidi has mentioned have done a very good defensive job over the long term whereas most of the passive multi-asset funds are untested during crashes and bear markets. For example, I don't want to be in a standard blend of bond funds right now so all of those above are out for me.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 16 June 2019 at 12:20PM
    DrSyn wrote: »

He / she didn't say that was the portfolio they were going to acquire, nor what they were going to avoid. Therefore it is not strange that they did not mention a consideration of passive-based multi asset funds. Indeed it would be strange if they had, in the context of their observations and their question.

The exercise they were carrying out was: playing around with different asset allocation mixes over long periods using Trustnet and/or Porfolio Visualiser* to see what types of returns were available over those long periods.

* I'm not sure whether this is a typo for the US-centric / dollar based "Portfolio Visualizer" site, or whether they simply mean the Portfolio review tool on Trustnet, but the point is moot.

As a consequence of spending some time with such a site, they gained an appreciation for the different levels of return made though some historic time periods.

As a simple example which was focused on lower volatility / capital preservation trusts, and averaging the returns from 4 different managers to better avoid luck or bias, they noted that those lower risk investment products gave about 6.6% annualised for ten years with a relatively smooth ride.

They then observed that the historic returns increased, with risk and volatility of course, when throwing some 100% equity allocation products into the mix.

It can be quite an informative way to spend an afternoon, playing around with the historic returns of different product types, and getting some insight into how markets work and how different products might work together over long periods to deliver different returns ; Trustnet allows some mechanical / formulaic measures of correlation to be reported over limited periods also.

Having established the range of returns that might be available over longish time periods, the question it threw up was: how do people work out what sort of a return they 'need' (a return suitable for an objective) rather than what they 'want' (max return). Presumably the context is deciding what rate of return to target before subsequently seeking out one or more products that may be able to (alone or combined) deliver it.

While it is popular on here to tell people that all they need to do when they are ready to invest is to go and buy an appropriate member of the range of passive-based mixed asset funds offered by the forum's favourite four or five suppliers, that does not mean that someone should mention in every thread that they are considering doing that.

For example, if the question is - "how do people generally decide what type or level of return they need", there is no need to start reeling off a list of funds offering a range of returns.

Likewise if the question is preceded by the backstory that prompted the question (i.e. some time spent looking at ten-year-returns of investment products at the high and low end of the scale to get an appreciation of the range of returns available from the market) there is no expectation that those 5 passive-based multi asset funds would be used as examples in that backstory as they have not existed for ten years in their current form and Trustnet could not give you 10 or 15 or 20-yr returns for any of them.

Vanguard's Lifestrategy has been around since 2011 (though it has lowered both its cost and its UK bias since then). Blackrock had a Consensus product before that but only launched the various current equity threshold versions for the post-RDR market in 2012. L&G MI launched 2013. Architas only launched / rebranded as AXA's multi-manager business just over ten years ago and did not initially have the cheap passives range it offers today. Etc.
  • BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    Much depends on your capacity for volatility. The longer you can stay in the game, the better your returns are likely to be.

But many inexperienced investors don't really understand asset allocation and take on too much risk with high equities but bail out after a year or two.

The answer is to match your personality and capacity for volatility with your mix of equities, bonds, cash and property and to rebalance to maintain this mix.
  • DrSyn
    DrSyn Posts: 889 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Prism

Thank you for your reply. Those funds I mentioned come in different blends of equity/bond splits. It will indeed be interesting to see how these different blends compare with those mentioned by the OP when the next crash/bear market occurs.

bowlhead99

Thank you for your reply which is always interesting to read. I mentioned them this time as they seemed to cover what the OP trying to do (at reasonable cost). I really am interested in finding out why the OP did not consider or mention them for at least part of their portfolio. The OP reasons may indeed be those mentioned in your post or they may be different.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    I'm targeting a return of 6.1% pa with my retirement portfolio.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Aminatidi
    Aminatidi Posts: 555 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Prism kind of nailed it, I get the arguments for/against passive and rightly or wrongly right now I'm going with active.

I've not yet found a passive approach that combines alternatives such as renewables, infrastructure, property, gold, and that includes bond classes such as TIPS or index linkers.

Basically Peter Spiller (to give one example) or Troy and Ruffer have a track record to at least look back on and form a view where the passives simply don't yet.

That said I always take a fairly pragmatic view that nothing is set in stone and I'm a day away from being able to change that.

The funds I gave were examples and I was careful to try to pick ones where I could look back much longer than 10 years, and even allowing for "since inception" things don't change too much and seem to average out at around 7%.

@bowlhead99 thank you - fascinating read and a lot to take in and it's quite comforting that "finger in the air" seems a fairly standard approach vs. some methodical formula.

One of the things I've been doing is playing around with a compound interest calculator with various assumptions on inflation, contributions, and rate of return.

Amazing what unfolds if you can nudge it above 7% over the very long term which is what led to the question because it's easy to think you need to be heavy on equities to achieve this when history seems to suggest there are other approaches.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure