PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Shared access - odd question.

Comments

• YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 3,915
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    There's an idea for a website - a kind of anti RM. Look up a house and find out it's troubles. "I had a survey and it said abc." "Yeah I had searches and they came back saying xyz." I'm not sure how you'd filter out the bored/liars though... It'd free up solics for all the contagious probate there seems to be now... :p

Then EA's could spend all day poking themselves in the eyes with dirty sticks and other suitable pastimes...
    The last private resident of 10 Downing Street was a Mr Chicken.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The gist was that I don't have proof that the EA knew about the access when I viewed, though I don't doubt they did. I know people do have mortgage troubles and relatives die, but I reckon in this case it's no6 that's the issue. But actual proof is another matter.

I haven't heard of the EA viewings means there's a defect thing either. We had the EA do our viewings as we've never sold a house before. Although our buyers wanted to view on a Sunday afternoon (EA shut) so I had to do it - eek! Not as scary in the end as I'd thought it would be. It wasn't a defect/good house thing though, it was an opening hours/don't lose the buyers thing.

I've written my letter but not sent it yet. It's really a complaint about the staff's conduct and many lies, and my unhappiness with them in general. I've not sent it yet though in case I end up moving there and need to use them again. The access + ROW malarky is another issue though. I'll email them about that, and tell RM. It isn't right that they're letting people spend so much money for something when they don't have the full picture. That !!!! ain't right!

Yes there are mining issues as well. I can't remember what my solic said now - was it maybe a mine head or a mineshaft within 25m of the property. I know Derbyshire is practically riddled with them, but 25m is damned close! Too much for me, on top of all the other survey issues.

I'm sure writing the letter was cathartic, but sending it really won't achieve anything: you don't have any proof, and frankly, you need to expect a certain amount of being economical with the truth from an EA - they're salesmen (and women) after all, and no sales person is going to dwell on the negative features of a product.

Also, at the risk of stating the obvious, this is why you get searches etc done - to ascertain what the position really is, rather than simply as described by the vendor or their agent.

Finally, whilst issues with access or mineshafts might be dealbreakers for you, they're not necessarily dealbreakers for everyone - many can be overcome if the price was right, or for an investor rather than an owner occupier.

No-one likes to waste time or money, but look on the bright side - you've spend a smaller amount of both to save a lot more in the long term. Chalk it up to experience and move on.
  • You're right RT. I guess there's a flicker of...... idealism..... in me that refuses to go out :rolleyes ha haa!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 11 October 2018 at 5:10AM
    You're right RT. I guess there's a flicker of...... idealism..... in me that refuses to go out :rolleyes ha haa!

:rotfl:Good for you:rotfl:

Though, depending on what Life as a whole throws at you, I have to tell you you'll reach my age (60's) having changed from an idealist to Distinctly Cynical - and there's times where you still think "I should have been more cynical about that person - I've just been caught out again by believing something someone said to me when I shouldn't have:cool:".

It's perfectly possible to be a heck of a cynic - whilst still watching one or two Bright Ideas one had earlier in life and "put out there" (and would have been too cynical to think would even work if you'd thought them up later in life) still being used by a variety of people across the country/world.
  • I do have healthy cynical/stubborn/sarcastic streak in me already tbh, and I'm only 40! I've had rather a lot of life thrown at me this past year but the little flicker is still there :)

If I could just find a s0dding house to live in, it might turn itself back up into a flame :D
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I do have healthy cynical/stubborn/sarcastic streak in me already tbh, and I'm only 40! I've had rather a lot of life thrown at me this past year but the little flicker is still there :)

If I could just find a s0dding house to live in, it might turn itself back up into a flame :D

Judging by the last disaster I think you may be trying to get too much for your budget?

Start from the point that there are no bargain houses so if one looks good for the price they are asking there is going to be some big problem with it.

Decide what you must have. If you have a small budget but wan't to live in a popular area you are going to have to buy a small house so a 1 bed not a 2 bed or a 2 bed not a 3 bed. You won't get a decent sized house in a popular area for a low price even if it needs work doing to it.

There are nice neighbours in not so fashionable areas. They are there because like you they couldn't afford the fashion for a certain area at the time when they needed to find somewhere to live.

I found this one but I have no idea where you want to live of if you need a station close by.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-75753386.html
  • You're right Cakeguts, I'm sitting here now re-evaluating what is realistic.

That link looks good, I'll have to do some research on the area :)

I need to pull my finger out, but I don't want to rush to buy something that's not right just because I need to buy something. If that makes sense.

The pressure's on now. Sis moved into her rental the other day, and our buyers wanted in asap. Solic rang me - "what are you doing about finding a house? You need to shake yourself cos the buyers are getting itchy. They want to be in for the weekend as they both have next week off and want to get cracking." Me - "THIS weekend? That's a few days to pack and clean and sort removals and and and aaarghh!" Solic - "After the year you've had you need to draw a line under it. When did you turn into such a fanny?! Go move in with a friend."

Anyway I managed it. I'm sat in my friend's house, with my whole world in his garage :0 I drove all the way down to (nearly) Cambridge at 9pm last night, having pulled a string of 17 hour days to get the house sorted. We exchanged on Wednesday, completed today.

So I truly need to shift my 4rse now. The hunting continues apace...
  • The neighbours are stealing your access. Ask for a gate key
  • That's one straight-talking solicitor:rotfl:

If they ever decide to move to Wales - I'll househunt for them personally - I could do with one like that.:)
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 October 2018 at 2:41PM
    You're right Cakeguts, I'm sitting here now re-evaluating what is realistic.

That link looks good, I'll have to do some research on the area :)

I need to pull my finger out, but I don't want to rush to buy something that's not right just because I need to buy something. If that makes sense.

The pressure's on now. Sis moved into her rental the other day, and our buyers wanted in asap. Solic rang me - "what are you doing about finding a house? You need to shake yourself cos the buyers are getting itchy. They want to be in for the weekend as they both have next week off and want to get cracking." Me - "THIS weekend? That's a few days to pack and clean and sort removals and and and aaarghh!" Solic - "After the year you've had you need to draw a line under it. When did you turn into such a fanny?! Go move in with a friend."

Anyway I managed it. I'm sat in my friend's house, with my whole world in his garage :0 I drove all the way down to (nearly) Cambridge at 9pm last night, having pulled a string of 17 hour days to get the house sorted. We exchanged on Wednesday, completed today.

So I truly need to shift my 4rse now. The hunting continues apace...

What money said! Are you sure you are not paraphrasing just a little, YBE?

It seems to me location is not of paramount concern to you. Your reasons are your own but speaking from experience (I think money might agree with this) if this is the case, the country is your oyster. You need to decide what you must have, would like to have and what you would not touch with a bargepole; you can put iffy access on that list right now, I think.

We went from our dream home (within a very precise location where very, very few houses ever come up for sale and three streets from where I was born) to "Where can we afford a house big enough for all the stuff we have accumulated and are not willing to get rid of?" It was an experience I would not wish on my worst enemy but you have to deal with what life throws at you, however much it sucks. I know I am incredibly lucky to have my wonderful hubby; I don't think I could have done what money did and done it on my own but then, I would never have been in a position to get a sniff of my dream house without him anyway.

As it is, you have the means to buy a house; a reasonably decent one in a fairly reasonable area. You just need to decide where: Scotland? No? Already narrowed it down... Unless Scotland is on your list! I ruled it out purely because of the heating bills...

If it helps, just do what I did and put your criteria into RM and draw a search area. Ours was pretty large, I'll tell ya. You soon learn to weed stuff out and the crime map is a useful tool but not as good as streetcheck. HTH.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure