Symbio Energy feedback

Comments

• The gaining supplier (Symbio) will send your ‘final meter reading’ to a 3rd party meter reading verification company. It’s the meter reading ‘verifiers’ job to check that your reading is ‘viable’.

The verification company has access to all your historical readings/data (going as far back, and with as many companies, as they deem necessary) and they’ll use this data to estimate what they consider your reading should be.

Provided your own final reading is within range of the ‘verifiers’ estimated figure (there are strict parameters) the verification company will always accept your final reading figure.

The 3rd party verification company will then feed-back an ‘industry verified’ reading to the gaining and losing supplier.

It’s an Ofgem mandated process and the losing/gaining suppliers are duty bound to accept the ‘verified’ figure from the 3rd party verifiers. The verification company will adjust the final reading figure if their calculations indicate a problem with the reading you supplied on switch-over day.

That’s why losing suppliers aren’t overly interested in the final meter reading that you submit;...it’s the all important ‘verified’ reading that is used when they prepare your final bill (and subsequent credit refund,...if applicable).

Thanks Biggus Dickus.

I was already aware of this :T

That part of my post was just highlighting the fact, that Symbio staff dont seem to what they are talking about.
  • Biggus_Dickus
    Biggus_Dickus Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Thanks Biggus Dickus.

I was already aware of this :T

That part of my post was just highlighting the fact, that Symbio staff dont seem to what they are talking about.
    I guess it’s not unusual with fairly new companies/staff,...a bit frustrating but entirely understandable tbf. When I moved to YorksEnergy last year they were a very new company and some of their staff weren’t clued up at all,...but they certainly got better.:)
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    @Biggus Dickus

Just checking my understanding. I'm in the process of moving suppliers. I start with my new supplier on 24th April but they have said that around 19th April they will contact me and ask for a reading.

So, if I understand what you've previously written, that reading taken about 5 days before I start with my new company will be used by the 3rd party verification company to calculate an artificial 'final reading' (because they know my typical daily consumption.) Is that correct? Then this artificially calculated 'final reading' is passed to both the losing supplier and the gaining supplier. The losing supplier calculates the bill (and any refund or payment due) using this calculated 'final reading' and the gaining supplier uses this 'final reading' as the day 1 start reading.

Am I correct in my interpretation of what you've written?

Is it also the case that the only benefit of taking a meter reading myself on the last day at the last minute (in my case 2359hrs on 23rd April) is to satisfy myself the independant 3rd party verification company has got the 'final reading' estimate/calculation roughly right?

Is it also the case that any attempt by me to submit this 'truly accurate' reading to both losing and gaining suppliers will cause trouble/muddy the waters as they will both work from the 3rd party verification figure? (unless it's wildly innacurate of course)

Have I got the process sussed?
  • Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Like you I'm leaving powershop fewkeste. I will continue to supply daily readings to powershop until I longer can. That way my powerpacks will work to the best of their potential

Anyone else slightly alarmed about symbios handling of new accounts

I'm getting to be. If they are like this at start what will they be like if I ever have to reclaim credit. Anyone had any answers to question about reclaiming excess credit
  • Tafrock
    Just noticed on symbio website a message saying customer service will be closed on 23rd April. Why??? its not a bank holiday
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Tafrock wrote: »
    Just noticed on symbio website a message saying customer service will be closed on 23rd April. Why??? its not a bank holiday

Fingers crossed its no more than staff training.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The gaining supplier (Symbio) will send your ‘final meter reading’ to a 3rd party meter reading verification company. It’s the meter reading ‘verifiers’ job to check that your reading is ‘viable’.

The verification company has access to all your historical readings/data (going as far back, and with as many companies, as they deem necessary) and they’ll use this data to estimate what they consider your reading should be.

Provided your own final reading is within range of the ‘verifiers’ estimated figure (there are strict parameters) the verification company will always accept your final reading figure.

The 3rd party verification company will then feed-back an ‘industry verified’ reading to the gaining and losing supplier.

It’s an Ofgem mandated process and the losing/gaining suppliers are duty bound to accept the ‘verified’ figure from the 3rd party verifiers. The verification company will adjust the final reading figure if their calculations indicate a problem with the reading you supplied on switch-over day.

That’s why losing suppliers aren’t overly interested in the final meter reading that you submit;...it’s the all important ‘verified’ reading that is used when they prepare your final bill (and subsequent credit refund,...if applicable).

They should accept mine considering I sent them a date stamped image of my meter showing the reading on day of leaving. Tell will tell of course!
  • fewkeste
    Tafrock wrote: »
    Like you I'm leaving powershop fewkeste. I will continue to supply daily readings to powershop until I longer can. That way my powerpacks will work to the best of their potential

Anyone else slightly alarmed about symbios handling of new accounts

I'm getting to be. If they are like this at start what will they be like if I ever have to reclaim credit. Anyone had any answers to question about reclaiming excess credit

At this stage I would just go with the flow and try not to get too stressed if you can manage that.

If it transpires they can't cope after all, then maybe thats when it's time to leave.

I get the impression it might be virtually 'a one man operation' Not literally but not far off :eek:
  • Tafrock
    edited 16 April 2019 at 12:48AM
    I'm seriously thinking of cancelling my transfer fewkeste. To make sure it doesn't happen I would contact powershop and ask them to refuse the transfer. I'll give it a few more days. Maybe ring symbio and ask questions myself but I'm getting a bad feeling so it may be better to cancel the transfer. I know I have 8 out of the 14 days cooling off period left (symbio never even advised me of that period but I know my rights)
  • fewkeste
    @Tafrock what are your specific concerns?

What particular events reported in this thread have disturbed you sufficiently for you to consider cancelling the switch?

It would be good to voice (write) your specific concerns so that others can read what exactly has spooked you about Symbio and then form their own conclusions.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback