NST April 2018: April Fool's Challenge

Comments

• Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning all,

SFD number 2 yesterday. It wasnt sunny here until late afternoon so spent most of the day pottering round and reading. Went swimming in the morning and will do so again today.

Awaiting decision on pet insurance claims, fingers crossed theyre approved.

Yesterday I was grateful for being able to swim each day, a good book, my family, good food, no rain and warm weather, my health and being able to come away on holiday.

Have a lovely day all.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Lauren - re the car insurance and tax : you need to know precise figures first, so find out exactly how much it will be. Then find out the difference between paying in 1 lump sum or paying monthly. I'd say not to pay monthly , especially as you have a 0% cc you can use. An EF is for these sorts of situations. And next year, you'll have a pot of savings for the car, won't you.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Lauren - re the car insurance and tax : you need to know precise figures first, so find out exactly how much it will be. Then find out the difference between paying in 1 lump sum or paying monthly. I'd say not to pay monthly , especially as you have a 0% cc you can use. An EF is for these sorts of situations. And next year, you'll have a pot of savings for the car, won't you.

I would be inclined to use the 0% CC, making sure you pay it off before the 0% ends. Seems pointless paying interest when there is no need.
  • Today was a spend. Paid my perfect home bill.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 763 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks Apple & Dawn We have decided to pay it using savings and then we always have the 0% CC to fall back on should we need it. and we will still have £500 in savings. Yes, I will indeed be able to pay it in full come next year. In fact hubs is due in Nov and I already know I can pay that in full then. Come September I can afford life again, living off savings is a very short term thing. I do actually have quite a lot in my help to buy too but is is strictly out of bounds. Thanks you for your advice :)apple I have more or less exact figures, I have been working my way through various comparisons sites, checking with sites not on them and I am just now looking at cost vs benefits. for Example, I am keen to be insured for non insured drivers, as I know someone who has had a bad experience. xx
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 763 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just checking in for today!

A- still only on NSD #2-
    P- Budgets have changed now but not touched savings. However that is likely to change as I pay my insurance, and to cover a slight cross over in my mobile phone bills. The Good news is that going forward I will have an extra £80 per month free. In August this will change to £130 as another bill stops. and hopefully another £600 in Sept. Hub and I are chatting about what to do come September with our extra income. We cannot set up more help to buy ISAs but I do not want it to get frittered.
    R-Hello:j
    I- Sourced chicken from the butchers this afternoon for my recipe night :)
    L- possibly another Harry Potter film tonight if I can get my phone set up in time. Shouldn't be hard- I only have about 20 numbers in my phone :rotfl:
    F- went uptown on my lunch to get to the Greengrocers- I think that might be the best I get today for going outside :)
    O- soo I am not over paying this month but everything is under way to double my car payments in September. This is one of the reasons I am trying to get our bills down. No chance I can do it yet unless I want to starve :D
    O-organise- I am always organising one thing or another. :rotfl: again, today is bills and cars and doing our very best with what we have. It transpires we do pretty well on our budget after speaking to colleagues at work about their groceries and how much they spend per month :eek::eek::eek: I haven't said that I live on about a quarter of what they do :rotfl:
    L- doing pretty well for keeping off my phone :A it has been in my bag all morning. Currently lunch time.
    S- my gratitude's - the butcher sorting me out with some free range chicken when he was clearly very busy and there was none out. My eldest singing twinkle twinkle little stay to his little brother when he was crying this morning & for my husband- who is calm in all situations and helps me make better decisions because he is much more level headed :A
  • Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Can I join misstara. Sorry late to the challenge. Trying to get focused, even though away few days next week. Will work out budgets next and report back.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    A bit of a spendy day today. Had my hair cut and coloured (always makes you feel fabulous) and bought a few much needed things (tights,etc) and a few bits that the boy will need whilst I'm away. All logged into the spending diary.
    Another awful day (sleety and cold) but I walked to the hairdresser and back and around the shops.
    Had a long list of things to do and surprisingly I've managed most of them (including sneaking some unidentifiable items from the freezer to the recycling bin).
    No chocolate or crisps - been too busy to even think about them. Could that be the secret of avoiding them?
    Just having a little sit down and then will make dinner for me (chicken leg from freezer) The boy will be home from work in about an hour and a half and Himself is out with his friends. Big football match on TV so he should be in by 7.00pm and is making his own dinner. I'll do the boy's - defrosting a steak as we write.
    An early night for me with my book and a pot of tea.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    A challenging day. Very tired and ankle throbbing (bandages are in wash). Had to take a taxi to crafts. Good session, quiet (one new person, a couple of regulars missing) but everyone was content with making cards and I could sort them a little when it was time to put things away.

Started to walk home but gave up before I reached the kerb. Stopped in the library on the walk between the bus stop and home. May be a spendy month as my phone is lifeless. Need to sort through my clothes (washed but still wet) so that I can decide what to take away with me.

DS2 called to discuss paying m what he owes - he could pay some of it but would need to borrow it back, so decided he should hang on to it for now. He wanted me to talk to his father about wedding accommodation - ex is prepared to pay for me but I don't think I could cope with being in the same flat as him for 2 whole days (praying for the patience to get through the wedding ceremony and meal). They are also there for a much shorter time than me, virtually flying in for the wedding and out again after. Think DS2 is going to point out any bargains he finds which would suit me.

I also picked a leaflet up in the library. A 10 week beginners Italian course, starting at the end of the month.

Today I am grateful for simple food from stores, for a visit from DS2, for getting to crafts and back, for jottings I put down last night (semi-organised, have a plan - need to be flexible and prioritise in caase ankle does not improve quickly enough). Aiming for an early night and an early start tomorrow - visit to therapist.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 April 2018 at 6:17PM
    Aim for at least 15 NSDs. 3/21

Pay to your debt or savings first emptied change pots and have amassed £128 in 20p and £2 coins - haven't touched 5p tin or coppers as they are not full!! Money has gone on debt. £15 plus from z!ffit on its way also going on debt

Report in every day. not sure I have kept up there ;) 2/4

Interests - knitting needles are out again :)

Love yourself swimming and gym today

Find time to get outside. in the garden now most days

Overpay see above about debt paying

Organise your month on it

Lose one bad habit. failing here!

Sign off your daily post with a list of gratitudes.
    Grateful for gym membership. Making the decision 3 years ago to only use cash when shopping. For independent coffee shops that sell fab food too, made from locally sourced growers and producers:D
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure