Stephen's Journey to Mortgage freedom

Comments

• Try not to spend too much on those shiny new credit cards!
    Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041 :eek:
    2nd Property Mortgage at £275,000. Mortgage free: 2049 :eek:
    Total OPs: £29529
  • Tropically wrote: »
    Try not to spend too much on those shiny new credit cards!

Not planning on it! Should just be normal spend - and will just now all be on the one card which should make life easier and get cashback too
    Mortgage Debt £53,879.68 as of 2nd July
    Help to Buy Equity Loan Debt £26,799
    Total Debt: £80,678.68 of £133,995 two bed house
  • jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Hello! Best of luck on your MFW journey, and the job journeys for you and the LW as well!

Jodles :D
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • LW has been told today that despite being told her contract was four weeks, because it isn't fixed she has to keep working. She has handed in her notice now, and we are trying to reread the contract (I admit to neither of us properly scouring it - but something definitely said four weeks, and they have discussed renewing the contract previously)
    Looking at our finances, and they are a bit healthier than I expected . There should be a good chunk left at the end of the year that we can overpay on the mortgage (as well as putting some towards saving for a car, and holiday) We will be opening new accounts for the holiday/car funds to make it easier to track (still going to be 3% accounts though)
    Looking ahead to the goals we have when we have started paying stuff off - at the moment each month some money will go towards saving for a car and buying house things (£250 and £150 a month) The plan is when that starts not being needed, or when one of us gets a raise that that will go towards putting more on the Mortgage payments (increasing to £600 in the new year because of LW's job) and also putting more money into LW's HISA (then LISA) from April to put more money towards the next house - whenever that will be. At the moment with the bonus we would get around £4,000 I think, so that would hopefully cover the majority of the expenses (based on my limited knowledge of moving costs) and so with another 5 years at least of saving into this, this will be a very large pot, hopefully approaching £20,000 which will make a sizeable deposit for whatever house price we need to buy next
  • Nothing really happening on the job front for me yet, though my boss has suggested that there should be some good news coming in terms of my jobs - which I'm expecting to mean the promotion that I 'should' have got last time is coming up and it's mine - hopefully without an interview. Hearing nothing but negative responses about job applications, but it's probably because I am aiming high with jobs as I don't need a new job so want it to be a decent increase in pay with the same full timeness (not temp/contract). We'll see if something comes up, may end up staying here for a long time as it is fairly secure and I 'should' keep improving and getting promotions and so increasing my salary
  • Work is quiet for the moment. (Thanksgiving impacts the workload - was yesterday). Decided to sign up for a cash back site to see if that will help us gain any money. Hoping that it'll be useful and earn us some, but that we stay sensible and don't go overboard or just look at the cashback rather than the cost
  • We went to LW's home this weekend for her birthday and it was a good fun weekend, especially playing with Nephews and puppies!
    Also managed to get out and buy some items for the house - Proper sets of cutlery, bedding and a frying pan. Glad for LW's job which has now come to an end to be able to buy those things and be able to keep a look out for deals on things that we want/need without worrying. Also got a lamp from LW's siblings which we both really like. Going to have to keep thinking about what our plans for furniture are and think about how we will fill our house nicely and cheaply
  • Christmas shopping has officially started - bought one of LW's presents today. Cheaper than i expected, and should get some cashback
  • The flat is finally not our responsibility! We are getting most of our deposit back too - £500 of £550. This will probably be used for getting some furniture. We've been thinking about some of our long term plans. Both in terms of what and when we might get the next house and the finances and plans around it. This mainly came from looking at the possibility of investing/P2P for some of our money, but decided against it, use the money we will have coming in and then use the house budget (things to put in the house). To then save up for a further deposit or for work being done on the new house (whenever that happens or looks like). I'm disgustingly forward planning in terms of finances...
  • We were planning to buy some small kitchen items that are needed (survived without them but they are needed) but we've decided to wait until after Christmas to get them just on the off chance that we might be gifted them.
    I've done all the shopping for LW - though I may end up getting something else.
    Between us we only have one or two good ideas for presents for family members, hoping to get this sorted really soon!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills