I want to cancel my orange contract - HELP

Comments

• shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    November 2010 doesn't count as a new user in my book. That's 5 months at least by my reckoning...

It's a new user to the boards.

That was their first post.

Might not be a new 'member' but it is a new user, so no need to be pedantic.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • shellsuit wrote: »
    It's a new user to the boards.

That was their first post.

Might not be a new 'member' but it is a new user, so no need to be pedantic.
    I'm not being pedantic.

I would expect any user who has been around for 5 months to know "what goes where".

The board is titled "Grabit". Why would the user pick that over any other to post a thread about this? How getting out of a contract is remotely linked to a title such as Grabit is beyond me.

Fact is, most people see the Grabit board as the most frequented, and choose to post there to ensure response regardless of relevance.
  • ks70
    ks70 Posts: 53 Forumite
    We had this a couple of years ago and in the end after much fighting and getting nowhere we went to someone like phones4u or the like who 'bought' us out of the contract with Orange and signed us up to Vodaphone and got us out of it. We lost money, they made money but at least I wasn't paying cash to Orange for emergency calls only month in, month out, we happened to move house halfway through a contract and the signal strength just disappeared in the 20 mile journey! Hope this helps.
  • Tony5101
    Tony5101 Posts: 1,589
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    crazyguy wrote: »
    Firstly cancel your direct debit and then flatly refuse to pay them until they either sort out this issue or cancel your contract

Worst piece of advice I've ever heard! :(

Under no circumstances should you cancel your DD. You'll end up with a knackered credit rating and Orange won't hesitate to refer your 'debt' to a collection agency if you end up defaulting.

I would recommend that you re-post on the mobile phone board. You'll get more specific information/help there. I've added a link to the mobiles board.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Tony
  • RainbowDrops
    RainbowDrops Posts: 4,674
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would expect any user who has been around for 5 months to know "what goes where".

Just because they registered in Nov doesn't mean they've been on here full time for 5 months, as evidenced by their post count.
  • Orange used to allow you to lower the monthly cost. I used to work for a mobile company and would recommend keeping a log of when you try to use use phone but can't get a signal - it's evidence there's no signal then. Present them with evidence. The customer advisors do want to help, but remember that they are just doing there jobs. Good luck. Ps, could the mods perhaps move this thread to where it'd get a better response.
    Give a girl the right shoes and she can conquer the world!

Started Slimming World 16.04.2012
    "Club 10 Target Loss: 1st 2.5lbs"
    23/04/12 (1st WI): -2.5lbs :) 07/05/12: -4lbs :) 14/05/12 -1lbs :) 21/05/12 STS :o
  • crazyguy
    crazyguy Posts: 5,495 Forumite
    Tony5101 wrote: »
    Worst piece of advice I've ever heard! :(

Under no circumstances should you cancel your DD. You'll end up with a knackered credit rating and Orange won't hesitate to refer your 'debt' to a collection agency if you end up defaulting.

I would recommend that you re-post on the mobile phone board. You'll get more specific information/help there. I've added a link to the mobiles board.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Tony

They will take notice upon canceling your direct debit as they will know that you are not paying for something that you are not getting.

Explain how that is rubbish advice then ?
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm not being pedantic.

The board is titled "Grabit". Why would the user pick that over any other to post a thread about this? How getting out of a contract is remotely linked to a title such as Grabit is beyond me.

Fact is, most people see the Grabit board as the most frequented, and choose to post there to ensure response regardless of relevance.

Do you have a crystal ball there or do you know the OP personally? Who says they have been around for 5 months? They might have registered 5 months ago and not come back till now.

And it's 'Grabbit', not 'Grabit'.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • lurkylurky
    lurkylurky Posts: 442
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 21 March 2011 at 3:21PM
    I'm not saying I agree with this, but I don't think there's much hope that Orange will cancel the contract - they will say it's not their fault you moved house. It's different if you get a reduction in service part way through your contract.

You might be able to lower your tariff though.
  • Tony5101
    Tony5101 Posts: 1,589
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    crazyguy wrote: »
    They will take notice upon canceling your direct debit as they will know that you are not paying for something that you are not getting.

Explain how that is rubbish advice then ?

For non-payment what will happen is - they will disconnect your line until payment is made - all the while you get into arrears with your monthly payment.
    Keep going with this, and your account will be sent on to a collections agency, and you can kiss goodbye to your credit rating.
    Your credit score is worth it's weight in gold in this financial climate - lose it or abuse it at your own risk.

I still stand by my original statement - very very poor advice to tell someone to simply stop paying to make a phone company listen.

The OP is best to take the advice of the people on the mobile phone forum as I said in my first post.

Tony
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport