I desperately need a freephone number...or ANY cheaper number for JSA enquiries!

Hi there all,

Has anyone applied for JSA before christmas experienced a severe delay in payment?
I applied on the 17th December, had the jobseekers interview and still im awaiting news or payment. 26 days!!!

I can only find 0845 numbers on saynoto0870.com and cannot find a local nu,ber for Woking or my old branch Letchworth.

Any advice on how to get hold of these guys would be great as Im literally on the breadline and slipping waiting for this money.

regards
Greg

Comments

• NickyBat
    NickyBat Posts: 857 Forumite
    I think all the numbers are 0845 now, however you should be able to ring your processing centre from your local jobcentre (if its anywhere near you), 26 days is an unacceptable time to wait for payment.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    NickyBat wrote: »
    I think all the numbers are 0845 now, however you should be able to ring your processing centre from your local jobcentre (if its anywhere near you), 26 days is an unacceptable time to wait for payment.

I would agree that 26 days would be too long if half of those were not non working days. OP, by all means chase it up, but be aware that the delay is not as long as implied. If you need money now you should apply for a Crisis Loan.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You can ask them to call you back, which they should be straight away. (Accept that this does not help if you are in a Q)
  • RazWaz
    RazWaz Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I signed on a similar date and I'm supposed to be getting a payment in the next couple of days so try not to worry too much. Xmas and new year caused a lot of delays and it's all getting sorted now.
  • dave030445
    dave030445 Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    from a BT line 0845 0870 numbers are free at certain times of the day and quite cheep at other times they are as cheep as a local number but dont use your mobile
  • emmie1234
    emmie1234 Posts: 237 Forumite
    Hiya, we applied for IS on the 10th December and only just recieved our first payment yesterday :O I think the offices were closed over christmas, hence the delays - so I was told :S you should have a payment soon :) x
    Marriages are made in heaven, but then again so is thunder and lightning!!!.....getting divorced lol :j

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Trying to "up" my income and rookie oldstyler
  • I know it's not much but couldn't you possibly ring them and explain your situation and ask them to call you back?
    I've done that myself and they had no problems in doing so. Whatever happens I hope you get everything sorted out quickly.

Best of luck :)
  • 15 working days that you have been waiting (taking into account weekends and public holidays over the period). JSA takes on average 11 working days to process.

During the month of December, there were severe weather conditions in some areas which would likely mean a skeleton staff, being that all over the country there were lots of people who were unable to travel to work - that may factor in delays in the processing of benefit claims.

There is only 0845 numbers available these days for contacting benefit enquiry lines, but as someone pointed out, you might be able to use the jobcentre phones for this, or phone and ask them to call you back.
  • banana
    banana Posts: 77 Forumite
    If you use the jobcentre phones the call is free -and if you call from any other phone they will -if you ask politely ;) - call you straight back.

But be aware that you have only been waiting 15 working days ,including the day you made the claim. A few years ago your claim woulnt even have made it off the starting blocks by now :eek:

Your claim will be processed within the next few days most likely. Crisis loans will help if you qualify and/or you can ask for your first payment to be collected at the jobcentre or paid as a fast payment into your account the same day its processed.
    "I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something."
  • bertiebat
    bertiebat Posts: 310 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2011 at 2:01AM
    I was looking into this for a friend's son the other day and just checked out the saynoto0870.com (using the company name jobseekers) and it came up with 01483 702119 for Woking and 01462 662503 for Letchworth

Crisis loans and new jobseeker claims have free (including most mobiles) 0800 numbers but all the others are 0845.
    Just in case you were wondering (some have)..... I'm a woman!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure