Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,609
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Ooh, exciting progress KC! :j
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    That's great progress KC. I didn't think they cost that much? Ours was £30k but that was a triple sized extention, new drainage and OH really going to town on EVERYTHING.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 13 January 2019 at 8:42AM
    When you mentioned about going to Wickes I meant to say that they have kitchen planners and estimators that will visit free of charge to give you advice. Happily, you've already got that sorted now anyway:j. I expect all the kitchen fitting companies do that. I didn't manage to get back online much as I was a bit tied up yesterday racing to get my 10 items all described and listed to take advantage of the free final valuation fee offer that eBay sent me. Listings have to be 'live' by tonight though. Fortunately, I took the photos of the items a few weeks ago so I'd be ready when a too-good-to-refuse listing offer came in. Taking photos that might entice people to want to buy my tat is the worst part of the whole eBaying process IMO and is why I put things off. Well, apart from having a procrastination gene of course:o

earthgirl, I had to smile when I saw that your OH went to town on everything and your total spend was £30k. We need a major amount of work done in our kitchen, not just want but really need, including a lot of structural work, moving windows and doors, knocking down an interior wall, adding a small extension, totally new wiring (although that's needed for the whole house:eek:), plus the cost of the new kitchen units. OH expects to get the lot done for about £8K:rotfl:. He needs a general anaesthetic to make him part with his money:rotfl:. We have improvements done so seldom, decades apart really, that he's lost all sense of how much things might cost nowadays. I'm green with envy at your kitchen even though I haven't even seen it;)
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,669
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Whoop! Full steam ahead!

That's not a bad price (am assuming it includes fitting?) I don't think I've ever confessed how much our kitchen cost last year :o:o- extremely un-mse!
    xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Hi KC
    My parents had their kitchen fitted by Wickes last year. They were really impressed with both the kitchen and the kitchen fitter who did the work and it was reasonably priced. Wickes also offered them 0% finance, which they took and left their savings in the bank.

They are now talking about getting them back to do the bathroom.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,306
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I know you have someone coming round but if you have time and inclination, you could have a play with one of the on-line planning tools - Wren (Homebase) has a link to one and so do Ikea - the Ikea link is the 3D planner here. It could make the discussion with your Wickes man more manageable - they can be very skilled at persuasion and you don't want to get too tired so you commit without being sure.

My DH was trained by Kitchens Direct (part of the Moben Kitchens, Dolphin Bathrooms and Sharps Bedrooms group) and he was sent on an NLP (neuro-linguistic-programming) training course as part of that - all part of the sales techniques they use.

You are a savvy girl KC and won't get duped but it is striking the balance between using their skills and making sure they are doing what you need, not their sales targets...
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    earthgirl wrote: »
    That's great progress KC. I didn't think they cost that much? Ours was £30k but that was a triple sized extention, new drainage and OH really going to town on EVERYTHING.
    I agree, earthie, it seems a lot to me considering that that's none of the building work, just the kitchen and the electrics. There'll be the RSJ to put in, and lots of replastering. I *do* know that I'll insist on an itemised quote, and if they're not prepared to give me that, they don't get the work.

When you mentioned about going to Wickes I meant to say that they have kitchen planners and estimators that will visit free of charge to give you advice. Happily, you've already got that sorted now anyway:j
    Thanks CBC! I really need a planner, it's too much to measure and sort on my own. I understand your OH not having a sense of how much things cost nowadays, actually - I've bought so little beyond the absolute basics, I've very little idea of where prices are :o:o:o

greent wrote: »
    Whoop! Full steam ahead!

That's not a bad price (am assuming it includes fitting?) I don't think I've ever confessed how much our kitchen cost last year :o:o- extremely un-mse!
    xx
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:I had a feeling that might be the case, when you described the length of the run of granite, and two windows :kisses3: don't worry about it, I'm related to people, some by blood and some by marriage, who have kitchens on the scale you're (not) describing :kisses3: and they're lurvely. My kitchen will be a *lot* better than it is now, it will function well, but I'm afraid it will never be lurvely :rotfl:

PS yes, the price does include installation. I had a play with the corner cupboards yesterday and the baskets that pull out have definitely got my attention :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Busy_Mee1 wrote: »
    Hi KC
    My parents had their kitchen fitted by Wickes last year. They were really impressed with both the kitchen and the kitchen fitter who did the work and it was reasonably priced. Wickes also offered them 0% finance, which they took and left their savings in the bank.

They are now talking about getting them back to do the bathroom.
    Thanks for that feedback, busymee - a lady in my walking group said the same thing, so I know they're not way out there. And if they introduce me to a local builder who'll do the work properly, which they say they will, I'll be in seventh heaven after the last two builders, both local, let me down badly.

I know you have someone coming round but if you have time and inclination, you could have a play with one of the on-line planning tools - Wren (Homebase) has a link to one and so do Ikea - the Ikea link is the 3D planner here. It could make the discussion with your Wickes man more manageable - they can be very skilled at persuasion and you don't want to get too tired so you commit without being sure.
    Thanks SL! I tried the Ikea one previously, over a period of 3 days, and it wouldn't let me do anything :o seemed very weird. I didn't try Wren/Homebase, so I'll do that before the guy turns up, thanks. The persuasion thing is an issue, isn't it, though with somebody like that, I'm more likely to call them out. I turned down the offer of a glossy magazine, for example, told him I just used the website, which is true. The prices happen to be on the website, of course :rotfl:

My DH was trained by Kitchens Direct (part of the Moben Kitchens, Dolphin Bathrooms and Sharps Bedrooms group) and he was sent on an NLP (neuro-linguistic-programming) training course as part of that - all part of the sales techniques they use.

You are a savvy girl KC and won't get duped but it is striking the balance between using their skills and making sure they are doing what you need, not their sales targets...
    I'll be on the lookout for NLP-stylee wording - once my professional hat comes back on, I *am* savvy about that. But as a consumer I can get blinded just like anybody else (witness my French apartment!) so its good to be reminded, thank you. Yes, this is about my needs, not theirs.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 13 January 2019 at 11:05AM
    Karmacat wrote: »

I'll be on the lookout for NLP-stylee wording - once my professional hat comes back on, I *am* savvy about that. But as a consumer I can get blinded just like anybody else (witness my French apartment!) so its good to be reminded, thank you. Yes, this is about my needs, not theirs.

Wise words, as ever, KC:T

I tend to veer on the side of 'good enough is good enough' now, a total mind-change from when I had money to spend and strove for perfection in all things. I was never a designer names or labels type of person in any area of life and thank goodness for that or I'd have been in even more debt than I eventually was:eek:. What I did have then though needed to be the best quality and look absolutely right which was usually the priciest option:(. Now, if it's functional and works for me it's fine. If it looks reasonably nice as well, so much the better but being right for me in the important areas of convenience and durability overrides everything else. I know we'll never have a showroom standard kitchen:rotfl: but one that makes the work I do in there, more labour saving, comfortable and frustration-free will tick the boxes for me. The planners might want to sell us a dream but will be wasting their time;)
  • teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,243
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'll be following your kitchen adventures with interest KC. A new kitchen is one of the things I need to tackle at some point and the thought feels daunting as I've never embarked on a project like that before.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback