Share dealing platforms - totally confused

Options

Comments

• A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    But as I have shown you, it isn't as diversified as a multi-asset fund. I didn't say that it wasn't diversified, but rather that it wasn't as diversified.

Depending on the funds chosen a bespoke portfolio could be even more diversified than a multi-asset fund. And it could have lower overall costs too.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    A_T wrote: »
    Depending on the funds chosen a bespoke portfolio could be even more diversified than a multi-asset fund. And it could have lower overall costs too.

But the funds you quoted aren't more diversified. That was my point.
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lungboy wrote: »
    VLS60 is 0.22% OCF.
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    If instead I use the same platform (e.g. Vanguard's own, 0.15% a year so £9 a year on £6000 invested, for as many trades as you like), to build a bespoke portfolio of ten underlying Vanguard funds, I will end up holding ten funds and paying ten separate rates of OCF on different parts of my portfolio. So for example £2000 in U.S. Equity Fund might be costing me 0.10% (just on that £2000, so £2) while £400 in an emerging markets fund might be costing me 0.27% (just on that £400, so £1.08) and £1000 in the global bond index fund might be costing me 0.15% (just on that £1000, so £1.50) and so on.

When you add it all up, if my portfolio components have low ongoing charge figures like those mentioned, the blended average overall ongoing charge on the whole £6000 that I split across twelve funds, may be lower than the ongoing charge of 0.22% of £6000 which I would have been charged in the VLS product (£13). For example in the example above I would be adding OCF of £2 on the US stuff and £1.50 on the bonds and £1.08 on the emerging markets component etc, and so on through other regions and bond types and the whole lot might well come to less than the £13 by the time I have deployed £6000.

I'm such a dumbass, I was doing exactly this in my head when I replied to A_T and simply added his two OCFs together which as you point out doesn't work. Sorry and thanks :)
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 26 March 2018 at 9:36PM
    Options
    You have misrepresented some of what I wrote. I never said that paying individual OCFs on each fund resulted in a cumulative cost. I suggested that it could end up costing more depending on the OCFs of the funds chosen.
    Not really.

When the other poster said that there were no incremental costs from using multiple funds if your platform didn't have transaction fees, you said that there were additional costs building a portfolio because "each fund has an OCF, therefore each fund that you buy adds to your costs" (with no implicit acknowledgement that of course each fund you buy could instead decrease your cost if it is a cheaper fund).

When the other poster suggested there was no need to buy a multiasset funds thereby relying on someone else's idea of what a diversified portfolio should look like, you categorically told him that the "Costs will be higher and gains, unlikely to be better, especially given the drag caused by the costs".
    I don't need to build an alternative fund as I am advocating using a multi-asset fund, it is not for me to prove that creating a bespoke portfolio using a wide variety of funds would cost more
    No, you have no interest in constructing such a fund so you have no need to build one yourself to prove that it would be more expensive to build one. But what you *should* do is refrain from telling people that it is more expensive to build one when you haven't tried to cost it nor considered that the vanguard fund you'd advocate buying costs more than the sum of its parts.

It costs more because of the convenience of getting a whole "portfolio in a box" which many are willing to pay for because they like convenience and it's a handy solution for a small portfolio that you don't want to have to tend from year to year. But that's not a 'cost' argument that you can use to tell people their portfolio will be more expensive- it's the opposite. It's simply a 'convenience' argument.
    My greatest point was actually about diversification.
    Perhaps if you have one great point you should focus on that one greatest point, rather than making specious arguments to belittle others and announce to the world that they have it wrong because of [other reasons which aren't actually very good arguments]. Stick to the"greatest point" rather than diluting it with weak points that you have to backtrack.

Of course, the "greatest point" that multi asset portfolio funds are a good bag of diversification right off the shelf, so better than what you could make yourself, also falls apart on inspection... I could make something more diversified than [Vanguard or BlackRock or HSBC or L&G's multi asset portfolio fund], simply by taking nine parts [V / BR/ HSBC /L&G] and adding one part [something they don't have because they are simple off the shelf funds].

So, the key point is not diversification at low cost. You can create diversification at low cost. Your key point is _*convenience*_.
    But the funds you quoted aren't more diversified. That was my point
    He quoted a very simple two fund multi asset portfolio (global stocks and global bonds) just to disprove your idea that adding multiple funds made things more expensive ; contrary to your assertion, it made them cheaper. As you must know very well, but don't want to admit, one could add ten or fifteen more holdings if you want to match or beat the diversification of an off the shelf mixed asset fund (which do not in any case try to be the most diversified thing available).
  • ValiantSon
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Not really.

When the other poster said that there were no incremental costs from using multiple funds if your platform didn't have transaction fees, you said that there were additional costs building a portfolio because "each fund has an OCF, therefore each fund that you buy adds to your costs" (with no implicit acknowledgement that of course each fund you buy could instead decrease your cost if it is a cheaper fund).

When the other poster suggested there was no need to buy a multiasset funds thereby relying on someone else's idea of what a diversified portfolio should look like, you categorically told him that the "Costs will be higher and gains, unlikely to be better, especially given the drag caused by the costs".

No, you have no interest in constructing such a fund so you have no need to build one yourself to prove that it would be more expensive to build one. But what you *should* do is refrain from telling people that it is more expensive to build one when you haven't tried to cost it nor considered that the vanguard fund you'd advocate buying costs more than the sum of its parts.

It costs more because of the convenience of getting a whole "portfolio in a box" which many are willing to pay for because they like convenience and it's a handy solution for a small portfolio that you don't want to have to tend from year to year. But that's not a 'cost' argument that you can use to tell people their portfolio will be more expensive- it's the opposite. It's simply a 'convenience' argument.

Perhaps if you have one great point you should focus on that one greatest point, rather than making specious arguments to belittle others and announce to the world that they have it wrong because of [other reasons which aren't actually very good arguments]. Stick to the"greatest point" rather than diluting it with weak points that you have to backtrack.

Of course, the "greatest point" that multi asset portfolio funds are a good bag of diversification right off the shelf, so better than what you could make yourself, also falls apart on inspection... I could make something more diversified than [Vanguard or BlackRock or HSBC or L&G's multi asset portfolio fund], simply by taking nine parts [V / BR/ HSBC /L&G] and adding one part [something they don't have because they are simple off the shelf funds].

So, the key point is not diversification at low cost. You can create diversification at low cost. Your key point is _*convenience*_.

He quoted a very simple two fund multi asset portfolio (global stocks and global bonds) just to disprove your idea that adding multiple funds made things more expensive ; contrary to your assertion, it made them cheaper. As you must know very well, but don't want to admit, one could add ten or fifteen more holdings if you want to match or beat the diversification of an off the shelf mixed asset fund (which do not in any case try to be the most diversified thing available).

I'm not going to argue with you because I simply cannot be bothered.
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have deposited £4k in a LISA with AJ Bell You invest which I intend to put in something like VLS100 or BlackRock Consensus 100 and leave it there for 20+ years, I will weigh up my final decision over the BH weekend.

I understand that I have to have money in the account to pay fees, but it is not clear whether this is held within the LISA account or seperately?

Assuming it's within, what would be a sensible amount to leave uninvested to pay the fees, taking into account i will only be intending to do two transactions a year based on my initial lump sum deposits and then investing the bonus, allowing for any growth that would cause the fees to rise? £20 probably too little, £50 seems too much?

Any advice appreciated.
  • A_T
    Options
    Zorillo wrote: »
    I have deposited £4k in a LISA with AJ Bell You invest which I intend to put in something like VLS100 or BlackRock Consensus 100 and leave it there for 20+ years, I will weigh up my final decision over the BH weekend

The two funds you mention are actively managed funds. Over long periods of time it is more likely than not that they will be outperformed by funds which tracks a global index such as Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap Index Fund or HSBC FTSE All-World Index Fund.
  • ValiantSon
    Options
    The two funds you mention are actively managed funds. Over long periods of time it is more likely than not that they will be outperformed by funds which tracks a global index such as Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap Index Fund or HSBC FTSE All-World Index Fund.

I'm not convinced that VLS 100 can reasonably be described as "actively managed". It is made up of index trackers, and without the bond component of other versions of VLS it doesn't have the same re-balancing input either. Most people would describe VLS 100 as a "passive" fund. Likewise, Blackrock Consensus is comprised primarily of index funds and could reasonably be described as "passive".

The OCF of VLS 100 is 0.22% and for Blackrock Consensus 100 it is 0.23%. Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap Index is 0.24%, and HSBC FTSE All-World Index is 0.16%, so while the HSBC fund is cheaper than VLS 100 and Blackrock Consensus 100, Vanguard Global All Cap Index is more expensive.

Both VLS 100 and Blackrock Consensus 100 do track indexes.
  • A_T
    Options
    I'm not convinced that VLS 100 can reasonably be described as "actively managed". It is made up of index trackers, and without the bond component of other versions of VLS it doesn't have the same re-balancing input either. Most people would describe VLS 100 as a "passive" fund. Likewise, Blackrock Consensus is comprised primarily of index funds and could reasonably be described as "passive".

The OCF of VLS 100 is 0.22% and for Blackrock Consensus 100 it is 0.23%. Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap Index is 0.24%, and HSBC FTSE All-World Index is 0.16%, so while the HSBC fund is cheaper than VLS 100 and Blackrock Consensus 100, Vanguard Global All Cap Index is more expensive.

Both VLS 100 and Blackrock Consensus 100 do track indexes.

They're managed funds.
  • ValiantSon
    edited 29 March 2018 at 10:39PM
    Options
    They're managed funds.

Rather than just stating that again it would actually help the OP (and others) if you explained how you have come to that conclusion. Even if they are "managed" funds (which is a stupid term to use because all funds are managed - I think you mean "actively managed") given their OCF they are not particularly expensive.

Oh, and no comment on the higher price of Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap Index?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure