Saving what I can

Comments

• riotlady
    riotlady Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Got all our food in for the week for £38, which is a bit over what I was hoping to spend but nevermind. We!!!8217;ve got leftover curry for tea tonight which I!!!8217;m really looking forward to and some oppo ice cream for pudding!

Made £9 matched betting today and will hopefully have about £50 coming in from it next weekend.
  • riotlady
    riotdude has given me an extra £100 because I paid for most of the baby stuff, so that's a chunk of the overdraft paid off :)
  • riotlady
    £80 from ebay, absolutely chuffed :)
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    That's amazing. well done. :beer:
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • riotlady
    That's amazing. well done. :beer:

Thanks! :)
  • riotlady
    Had a rubbish mental-health day yesterday and I feel better today, but still super drained. I suffer from PTSD and depression, but have been coping remarkably well lately- not on any medication at the moment, taking reasonably good care of myself and the house, preparing for baby, and aside from the odd wobble, feeling quite good!

Had a meeting with my care co-ordinator this morning then been into town to print postage labels and send off all my ebayed items. Spent a few pounds in McDonalds treating myself to lunch and £6 in Superdrug for toiletries. Also got 2 packing boxes from Poundland for 50p, which is a sweet deal! They're like £1.50 each in the Post Office.

Tonight I'm going to make some healthy breakfast bars for riotdude- otherwise his default setting is to go to Greggs and buy a breakfast wrap, brownies and an energy drink, which is bad for our budget and HORRIBLE for his health.
  • riotlady
    I'm heading into town today to try and sell an old necklace to some second hand jewellers. It's gold but it's a nice design, and has different types of gold in stripes so it seems like a shame to just send it off to a cash for gold thing, but that's an option if today doesn't work out.

Then we're off to a friend's for dinner tonight :)
  • riotlady
    Didn't make it into town as had to sort some ebay stuff for a fussy buyer but received £14 from matched betting and £39 from We Buy Books so that's a bonus :)
  • riotlady
    Ugh, bit of an unsuccessful day today. I went into town to try and sell a gold necklace but the one decent secondhand jewellers has closed down and everywhere else only took things based on gold weight- it's quite a nice design, so I would have thought it would be worth more as a "whole piece" than to be melted down for gold IYSWIM. Anyway, the best price turned out to be Hatton Garden Metals online, so it was a bit of a waste of a trip into town!

I'm also having a rubbish time with a buyer on ebay. He wanted an delivery method that offered full tracking, so I originally had it set to post with Hermes, fully tracked, which he complained about- said he wanted Royal Mail first class signed for. I told him signed for didn't offer tracking in transit but he insisted, so I switched to that instead and sent proof of postage. Guess what he's complaining about now? He can't track the item! What a surprise! He even accused me of lying about what postage service I used, even though I bought it through ebay. I've done everything I can to give him what he wants and I just know he's going to give me bad feedback regardless, so bloody annoying.
  • Zandimos
    Zandimos Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 March 2018 at 6:24PM
    Hi Riotlady,

I feel I'm in a similar position as you. Not entirely, but I see some similarities :)

Me and my partner are both 21 (living 1 hour apart) so seeing each other on weekends and she has our 9 week old baby girl.

She's currently on maternity pay (statutory) and I'm working my socks off at work doing all the overtime possible to save for a deposit and also studying at uni part time! I live in York so not too lucky with the house prices but I'm determined to get us a family home :)

Alongside my overtime I'm also making a lot of money by bank switching. Is this something you have considered? Theres a lot of money to be made with little hassle! I do it for myself and my partner and since this time last year have made around £2000 (albeit with using all 5 Nationwide referrals) but every little helps right?

Hope that bank switching gives you a little bit of an incentive to look into it and make some money.

I also do surveys on swagbucks , ipsos, crowdology, GFK and globaltestmarket. This is very lucrative for me as I seem to be making about £25 a month in pounds not just amazon vouchers! It may be applicable but if I make amazon vouchers from surveys I let my family members spend on my amazon and they transfer me the voucher value!

If you shop at Asda, don't forget to use the price guarantee.... This has made me and my partner £15 since the turn of the year. I also scramble all the receipts I can find at the self service check out should they have 10 items on. Another one to consider as a little win!

Joe
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport