Dreams and wishes....

Comments

• Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It was an intensive beginners' course, 14 hours a week and we got from nothing (well I did 2 years of Latin at secondary school back in the '80s and then took Greek for O level) to passing a sample level 1 GCSE paper. It was amazing, both me and my 12 year old MissKitty loved it.

I'm going to see if there's any way I can take the GCSE as an external candidate locally....I know of a couple of private schools that offer it, sadly not DD's, and one high school in Oxford. It might be too hard, as of course getting time off during term time as a teacher, especially for something that's not strictly related to my teaching, could be impossible!

Just back from a fruitful trip to the library - took photos of some yummy recipes for KW and I to try out, borrowed 3 fab-sounding books and spent a king's ransom on a stamp for DD to send a letter to her European penpal. I hope they'll move to sending emails soon....but remember how exciting it is to receive a real letter through the post.

Spends - £1.17 on the letter; of the change - 3p to go to coppers pot, and I think the 80p may go into the Marmite jar.
    £8.60 on a prescription. Thank goodness I had ticked the right box on the form!!
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    This is such a coincidence I was looking at Latin textbooks the other day. We did Latin at the same time I did it from 1983-1987. We did Homer's Ilyad and also studied some great characters like Caecilius and Metella who lived in Pompeii.I think everyone did that syllabus in the 1980s and 90s

It sounds like you have had a good day.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Kittikins
    I'm probably a year older than you :) I did it for 2 years from what's now Year 8 - in 1983/1984! Spooky.....Back at school I did Ecce Romani (dull as ditchwater) and use lovely Minimus in my school Latin club, as who doesn't want to learn about a real family and a lovely cat and mouse!

Saved yet more money by finishing off a bottle of rose wine that no one else but me drinks, and I'd opened it a few days ago *hic* Lol.....I don't drink much or often but love prosecco and rose....
  • savingwannabe
    1982-3 was my first year at secondary school. Salve, and enjoy the wine. Caecilius and family were always drinking it!!!!! I was always fascinated as the Romans used to eat rats as a delicacy:eek::eek::eek:
  • Kittikins
    In that case we're of the same vintage :)

Thank god I've been vegetarian/pescetarian since before learning any Latin, rats....*shudder* Give me a nice bowl of pasta and pesto and I'm happy, especially if there's tiramisu gelato for pudding!
  • Kittikins
    Hmm, somehow, when looking at my bank accounts, I misread one of the savings lines, and so I actually have £1k more than I thought for my house deposit. Yippppppeeeeeeeee!!

I've started 'sweeping' pennies out of online current accounts and into savings accounts, i.e. rounding down balances to the £, so £23.27 - I move the 27p into my savings. I will still have the same amount of money to my name, but more of it will be savings rather than frittering away money!

As MissKitty and I live with my parents, after I've paid our keep, our mobile phone bills (maximum £33 a month for the pair of us) and put money into my car maintenance pot, the rest of my pitiful salary (compared to my pre-teaching life) is for petrol and day to day stuff. I try to save £500 a month but this month haven't due to our holiday.

The knitting's not coming along very well, I think it's very 'tight', doesn't feel like a scarf should...I don't understand much about knitting, but maybe I need to change the needle size so that the wool isn't fighting itself for space.
  • Kittikins
    Spends - £2 of Clubbcard vouchers on much-needed chocolate for DD and not needed by wanted MiniChedds for me :)

KW bought our theatre tickets using his pre-paid debit card, loaded up with money I transferred over, and they were £4 cheaper that way! Yay. He owes me £6 for some shopping as well, so I'll be £10 better off. As a one off, because I thought that the booking fee was going to be on top of the ticket price, not included within it, I'm going to put the £4 into the Marmite jar. Next time we buy tickets this way, I won't do it :) So glad he has one of these cards, I've never really seen the point of them, but he likes the feel of a credit card but without the risk of using one and getting into debt as it were.

Found 5p on the floor as well :) Every little helps!

Total for the Marmite jar today - £4.85
  • savingwannabe
    You seem to have done plenty today. Well done. I haven't done much at all. Ive slept for most of it as the weather was so grotty.

Well done on the extra £1000 for house deposit. Knitting sounds like fun! What are you going to see at the theatre?
  • Kittikins
    Was a bit mean and have asked DD to give me 50p (which of course has gone you know where....) as she mucked up on something online and I had to pay 50p to get the situation back to where it needed to be!
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 August 2017 at 9:23PM
    Oh you are a mean mummykins KK :rotfl:Only joking !

Seriously though, its the only way they learn the value of money. I used to do the same with my DS, he's 22 now and if he asks me to get him something extra outside of the money he gives me for food & bills he has to give me the money for it. My budget is tight (and so am I :rotfl:) and he knows it and he earns more than me.
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure