Menstrual Money Saving

Mrs.W_2
Mrs.W_2 Posts: 584 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 19 September 2017 at 11:51AM in MoneySaving mums
Update September 2017

Mrs.W started this thread a couple of years ago but the topic's always relevant.

Join in! Do you use a mooncup or similar? Would you recommend it?

If you're interested in more ways to save money with re-usable products read our Recycle Week Hub.

Back to the original post...

----

I was not at all sure where to post this, but a board where men least click is probably the best place.

Four months ago I discovered menstrual cups. They are rounded cone-shaped cups made of silicone rubber. They sit in the vagina and capture menstrual elimination.

(edit: ) They are a rather new alternative to tampons and/or panty liners.

They are touted to give up to twelve hours protection. I never use them for more than five hours before washing under cold water, cleansing with a surgical spirit wipe, and giving another rinse under the tap. (The surgical spirit wipe is not advised as necessary between insertions.)

They are easy to store - in a small cloth bag - between bleeds. And because I am a hygiene freak, I clean my MC's in boiling water before using again.

Silicone is naturally resistant to bacteria, so I feel safe in using this form of menstrual protection, especially with my own precautions.

I have read many of the papers published for and against MC's, and it seems, to me, that they are a safe and money saving form of protection during menstruation.

Four months in, and, even given the price of the MC, I am already saving money against using tampons and panty liners.

Just wanted to share this money saving idea. I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea (I swear that is not a pun!) but thought it worth mentioning.

Comments

• I had a Mooncup, really loved it :) and just wanted to add to your rave about them! So easy to use and clean, great for out and about (if it's already in place then you don't need to remember to bring tampons or anything else when you go out), and I found it much more comfortable than tampons. Actually, I realised how much I hated tampons after getting the mooncup! Never mind the possible health risks of tampon use. I have accidentally left the mooncup in for more than 12 hours :o but never had a problem or even a leak.

Only problem really was that I managed to misplace it. No idea where it's gone! I'd never go back to disposables though, and have been using homemade cloth pads instead. I had to borrow a paper pad from a friend once and it felt quite horrible, like wearing a disposable nappy! When my periods eventually return after this pregnancy and breastfeeding, I'll be getting a new Mooncup.

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
  • I have a mooncup which i just love and i also have some cloth sanitary pads that are ahhhmazing- i bought them online and they are just as if not more absorbant than disposables and dont give me horrid irritation, i just chuck them in w-machine on 60 with my cloth nappies- i used cloth post partum pads after wee girl was born and they were great!
    I am looking at getting a diva cup when my aunty-flo returns as i accidently flushed my mooncup down the loo- i had had it for about 5 years tho so certainly worth the money- another thing you can use are sponges that work like a tampon- i think they are called 'jam' sponges.
    anyway i am very pro re- usable anything, if it saves cash and the environment then go for it!!!!
    :happyhear Single Mummy to 7 beautiful kids, :coffee:Snowballing through life, just one day at a time!
    Dave Ramsey fan- getting Gazelle Intense.
    Debt to Slash [STRIKE]£23,457[/STRIKE]£15,562 :eek::eek:
    Debt free by 2017! :T:T:T
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I do have a mooncup, which worked really well for me. However, for the last 6 years I've been on the progesterone-only pill which has virtually eliminated my periods and so my cup is now languishing in the bathroom cupboard.
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Another vote for Mooncup, although I have to use a pad for back-up. Tampons are useless for me.

Mooncup is very good when you need to change for a short time, e.g get home from work & need to change, but going out again in an hour or so & need to change before that - no wasted half-used disposable protection.

Heaven forbid you need to measure your total flow per month, mooncup is good for that - if you need to prove to a doctor that your flow is too heavy to be manageable.

I'll still be glad when periods are over though - mine are definitely a curse.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Just to weigh in on the other side I got a moon cup as I really liked the idea but never managed to get it to work well for me - I gave it what I felt was a determined try as I wanted to like it, but could always feel it and getting it in and out was a faff.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Mrs.W_2
    Mrs.W_2 Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 February 2015 at 3:20AM
    Hedgehog99 wrote: »
    Another vote for Mooncup, although I have to use a pad for back-up. Tampons are useless for me.

Mooncup is very good when you need to change for a short time, e.g get home from work & need to change, but going out again in an hour or so & need to change before that - no wasted half-used disposable protection.

Heaven forbid you need to measure your total flow per month, mooncup is good for that - if you need to prove to a doctor that your flow is too heavy to be manageable.

I'll still be glad when periods are over though - mine are definitely a curse.
    Please do not wish for that too quickly!

I am peri-menopausal. At 45. And it is really upsetting my life.

I am still going through menstrual bleeds, but they can last anywhere from three to twenty-one days. Hense my relief at finding the cover provided by MC's!

I find it very hard to sleep at night. Sleep does not seem to come, no matter how much I am yawning and desperate for rest. When I am able to sleep, night sweats drench the bedclothes, make me kick them off, then I wake up with chattering teeth in a cold sweat.

My husband works in Scotland for three weeks of the month. This last week we talked about my Peri-menopause.

It seems every part of our lives has a silver-lining.

ETA; I wish I had known about MC's years ago. Then I would not have had to, once a month, interrupt meetings to nip to the loo.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Not exactly a new thing. Ive been using one for 14yrs now and they had been around a fair few years, before i swapped over

As with all things, brands do vary. If you find you dont get on with one style, try another.

I have mooncup and femme cup. For me, mooncup gives a better seal, so no leaks. But femme cup is easier to remove, as its softer and easier to grab (tmi?)

They now come in fancy colours too!

http://http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rainbow-Reusable-Menstrual-Cup-Purple/dp/B00AYRW886/ref=sr_1_4?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1423208902&sr=1-4&keywords=menstrual+cup
  • Get pregnant. I'm about to pop and haven't needed anything for months. Admittedly, there are other associated expenses...
  • Another vote for the femme cup. I've been using mine about 4 years and just this month have misplaced it, one month in and I can guarantee it will be replaced, I find it some much cleaner and easier and much less harsh on your lady bits!! Never had a problem with leakage etc.
  • i've been using cloth pads which are fab too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure