Water Bills questions and comment

Comments

• Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    depends on what kind of Fixed charge you are talking about really.

RV is a yearly fixed charge based on a old system for the rentable value of a property. That is paid in advance and normally over 8 installements and falls due 1 April

Assessed is a rate of charge for a property that can not have a meter and is based on average usage for property type. That is paid in arrears like a meter and they would then work out a payment plan for 11 months leaving you with credit for when your next bill arrives.
    So if you have a bill now you already owe them that money and they are setting a plan to get you ahead.
    It is normal and you don't have to do it, you can just pay the bill as it arrives but the payment plans only work that way.
    When you get ahead your payment plan can be reviewed but it would normally not be until you have cleared all arrears and the account has enough credit.

depends on what you mean though by fixed charges.
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • wrenlegs
    wrenlegs Posts: 294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Excuse my ignorance (this is shocking I know), but is it the case that my quaterly Thames Water bill is standardised - and NOT based on my actual water consumption? :eek: I thought that like other utilities it was measured against actual consumption. Ive just ordered a water butt and some water saving toilet flusher thingies in an attempt to save money :o
    :money: Saving money, saving the environment and saving space (aka decluttering) - my motto this year!
  • Gothicfairy
    Depends on what your bills says..I should think that as quarterly it is based on a meter but I couldn't possibly say if it was based on actual readings or not.

Can you supply a bit more info please ?

Robert Service
  • wrenlegs
    Ooh - I have a meter. Just checked the bill. At least I know my water saving measures will benefit me cash wise as well as help the environment. The cash saving element will definately give me the impotus to save even more! Our last bills have been quite high. Oct - may last year was £207 (the biggest we've had), most bills around £170 - £190, and the most recent after that is buried under a pile of other paperwork :o. I promise Im trying to be more savvy where it comes to bills. We only have a bath (very old delapadated house with a shower that attaches to bath but is next to useless). Will be getting a shower when our new bathroom is finally fitted. Hubby has a bath a day...:whistle: will encourage him to be a bit smellier.
    :money: Saving money, saving the environment and saving space (aka decluttering) - my motto this year!
  • Gothicfairy
    You need to check if the bill is based on actual readings as that can make a massive difference.

Robert Service
  • wrenlegs
    You need to check if the bill is based on actual readings as that can make a massive difference.

Im looking now and it has a bit where it says previous reading and new reading (previous 1263, new, 1363) so I guess it is based on an actual reading. Where are the meters located? We dont have one in the house?
  • Gothicfairy
    If there is no meter in the house then it will more then likely be in a boundry box somewhere either on your drive or the pavement> Ask your water company and they can provide a location
    Against the readings does it have a A or E ? Or something like that ? Just cos it has a reading does not mean it was read, it could well be an est reading based on past consumption

Robert Service
  • wrenlegs
    If there is no meter in the house then it will more then likely be in a boundry box somewhere either on your drive or the pavement> Ask your water company and they can provide a location
    Against the readings does it have a A or E ? Or something like that ? Just cos it has a reading does not mean it was read, it could well be an est reading based on past consumption

No A or E and none on any of our bill since we moved here so must be read. Cant wait for our water butt to arrive nw - my son LOVES to make mud in the garden and we are constantly filling up the watering can for him. Ill be looking to see how much we can save by the next reading. Thanks for the help!:beer:
  • Dizzyduck
    Dizzyduck Posts: 211 Forumite
    wrenlegs wrote: »
    No A or E and none on any of our bill since we moved here so must be read. Cant wait for our water butt to arrive nw - my son LOVES to make mud in the garden and we are constantly filling up the watering can for him. Ill be looking to see how much we can save by the next reading. Thanks for the help!:beer:

Call TW cust centre on 0845 9200 800 and they will be able to tell you the location of your meter.
    Then you can check their readings against the meter, I think they only have to read the meter once a year but best practice is more often.
  • Hello

Hope this makes sense. We dont have a water meter just a standard bill and pay by direct debit. This has been running smoothly for years. I have set up a DMP in last few months with Consumser Credit Counselling Services and with sticking to this found last month that I was going to struggle for food shopping for whole month. I went online to bank and cancelled Water Rates direct Debit (£45) and couple other smaller ones. I then sent token payment of £5 to water company and wrote a letter explaining my situation and askin if I could pay the remainder at end of March with March payment - which will be manageable as I have worked some overtime this month.

I have just had a letter back which basically says thank you for your letter - then goes on to state the amount that is owing (including end of March payment!!) and says it needs to be paid immediately or they will take further action. I am amazed. I fully explained my situation - prioritising feeding children over water bill - and gave token payment as a gesture - with offer to pay next month - I though utility companies were supposed to be considerate towards families???? Any advice - sugggestions? I am not worried about it as we are nearly at end of March anyway - I am basically astonisehed and disappointed in them. Thanks for listening - RON
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback