PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• florain
    florain Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Fuddle - re ticks. Do not go through long grass or bracken with bare legs especially if the path looks like it might be used as an animal trail.
    Deer are the biggest carriers as far as I know. When we lived on Exmoor I had to go over the dogs every day to look for and remove ticks.
    Best way to remove any that do get attached is with a gadget called, I think, an 'o' tom tick remover, slide it under tick and twist off anticlockwise. They are available from vets and probably chemists.
  • florain wrote: »
    Best way to remove any that do get attached is with a gadget called, I think, an 'o' tom tick remover, slide it under tick and twist off anticlockwise.

Or you can use a drop of surgical spirit, or the hot end of a cigarette.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    the hot end of a cigarette.

Strangely, dogs sons & Scouts all prefer an appropriate tool to this (OK, Amazon have them about the same price but from the maker gives you a choice of colours! [Rather than drop-it-&-swear green]) The postage by internet adds to the cost - absolutely worth asking your vet, outdoors kit supplier etc.
    Outdoorsy pals carry the alcohol wipes as a backup - these ticks can be seriously unpleasant. (Lymes is really good to avoid.)

Tick Keys are also recommended but I'm not sure how available they are in the UK.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Much appreciated, thank you. Yes, it's Lyme disease I'm most bothered about.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2018 at 2:49PM
    Harking back to the theme of "Russia might muck up our Internet" and someone (could be them? could be the Chinese?) has been "in there" for some time imo "making connections" just in case they wanted them.

I honestly think they've been attacking one or two huge websites of ours :lipsrseal a bit back now as a trial run "just in case" they wanted to attack something more major of ours at some point. Method used = a DDOS (Denial of Service Attack).

At that point I thought "I think I know who is behind this - and why they are doing it" followed by cynical "Well we wouldnt be told just who it was would we? thoughts after the event and Back to Normal time".

But there has to come a point when one thinks "Whatever happens a year or two down the line - I've ' seen them coming' and done what I can personally. Beyond that = shrugs" as there's nowt else one can do (other than cross fingers for the Human Race to "grow up" a good deal faster than it is doing).

Cynical - moi? You bet....:cool:

Using t'Internet is an "education" imo anyways. By now - I've had a hacker group come up on the screen going "Blare....blare....blare - this website has been hacked and we are ISIS that has done it". Cue for sheer panic and switch computer off quick and think "Blimmin' nerve of them" (think it was a Western music website from memory?). Followed by trying to read one about groups opposed to animal research laboratories in our country and up comes another "Blare....blare...blare...this website has been hacked" screen and cynical me thought "That'll be people running these facilities or MI5/MI6 in our own darn Government going against our own darn democratic right to freedom of information then - blimmin' cheek".

Both ways - my reaction was "How DARE they?" - but I switched my computer off quicksharp
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Vaseline works on ticks too. Last year I had two on my leg (just outside the knicker leg)and coated them in vaseline which we had in the car. They literally lifted off with a light lift from my fingernail after only a couple of minutes of coating them. You can carry a little pot with you in your pocket for such emergencies. I only discovered them when visiting the loo (we were camping ) and was very glad my underwear prevented them finding a less noticable spot.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    fuddle, for ticks, I've just been reading a thread where a British guy living in Bulgaria uses neat neem oil, also this: "In several Eastern European countries their armed forces have tick traps on their combat clothing, a simple flap that traps the ticks and prevents them from crawling any further up ones body, as most ticks live between ankle and knee height then tend to crawl upward".

HTH
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Some very interesting comments here on Zerohedge, particularly this one:

https://www.zerohedge.com/comment/11544634#comment-11544634
  • On a very different tack of preparedness...

....and has anyone else read the figures recently of how long it's thought we'll live - ie our estimated lifespan.

I've been cheerfully pootling along for years expecting to live to 85 (as that was what was down as "average life expectancy for British woman") only to read the updated figures the other day.

Those figures said that people in my agegroup (it's even worse for younger people!) have a 1 in 2 chance of living noticeably into our 90's:eek:.

I almost decided to take up junk food eating and smoking immediately on the spot - as chances are that I'm in the 50% destined to live so long. That does look rather confirmed by the fact that both my parents have recently gone into their 90's (despite them both having been in such bad health for years now - and they don't want to live any longer:().

Any thoughts on the bad news (well it is imo) that one looks destined for more than 5 years extra to what was expected - and it could be as long as 10 years. Anyone else thinking "Darn it - looks like I'll have no choice but to 'take matters into my own hands and head for Switzerland or the like at some point in later years' "? Or is everyone else cheerfully thinking "Whoopee - 10 more years on Earth - just what I wanted"?

I think I'll take other peoples opinion of "Old age ain't for cissies" as likely to be the most realistic take on what it's like. I know my mother has been telling me "old age is NOT fun" for years now...
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    But money life isn't fun either. Some people (and I'm not on about my recent health wobbles) go through their lives dealing with pain, and disability, mental illness, addiction etc. My mam died 'young' at 61 but the last 30 years were torment for her. She was The girl I cared for for 10 hours a week was 32 had MS and was is a wheelchair unable to toilet because the MS had attacked the function.

What I'm saying is it is one thing getting through life and then not wanting to face problems but spare a thought for those who spend their lives with such problems.

We get on money but I cringed at the post above. I understand that they are your thoughts and I understand why you feel them and you're seeing and being influenced by by thoughts of your parents but life is so hard and so many suffer before their old age.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure