What ballpark figure for a small boiler replacement?

Hi guys, wonder if you could advise on this boiler question?

Our Glowworm Betacom 30C Combi has had it's day. We dragged it out over winter but it needs replacing. Pressure is all over the place, it overheats, and sometimes doesn't heat the radiators at all.

My question is what ballpark figure should I look for? We're talking a straight swap like for like. It's a 1st floor maisonette, one bedroom.

I want to know my stuff before talking to pushy sales people (or even scammers). Boilers are so expensive. I've found companies online but there are no ratings or word of mouth recommendations. One company came back with a £2,500 minimum. British Gas were asking for ridiculous amounts.

Obviously I want to pay as little as possible but get a safe install.

Thanks

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Plumbing and Gas Regulations have changed quite a bit in the last decade, so quite often it is not a 'straight swap', especially as your new boiler will be condensing and the old combi could be non-condensing.

Provided there isn't much too much fitting work involved around £1,500 would be a ball-park figure.

I suggest you go for a boiler from one of the top manufacturers that offer a 7 or 10 year warranty. Then ring the manufacturer and ask for their list of recommended installers in your area.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 April 2018 at 5:12PM
    It might be worth having a shufti here as the regs for replacement boilers have just changed - bound to increase the cost https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/01/if-you-need-a-new-boiler-these-regulation-changes-will-affect-you/

Here's the consultation document - I think that most assumptions about cost of implementation and cost savings are way off the mark. I also have a bit of a jaundiced view about the self interest of some if not all the respondents https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/651853/Boiler_Plus_final_policy_and_consultation_response.pdf
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • The_Walker
    The_Walker Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Cardew wrote: »
    Plumbing and Gas Regulations have changed quite a bit in the last decade, so quite often it is not a 'straight swap', especially as your new boiler will be condensing and the old combi could be non-condensing.

Provided there isn't much too much fitting work involved around £1,500 would be a ball-park figure.

I suggest you go for a boiler from one of the top manufacturers that offer a 7 or 10 year warranty. Then ring the manufacturer and ask for their list of recommended installers in your area.

Yes, £1500 sounds more like my ideal and reasonable, considering most small boilers seem to cost around £1000. So that's £500+ for labour.
    My old combi is a condenser by the way, so does sound like a straight swap (within reason).
    The quote for £2500 came from the Worcester Bosch site though, so that didn't help getting a reasonable price. I'll wait and see if the others come in lower.

I looked at those new regs matelodave and it doesn't look like they should affect me too much. Thanks.
  • The_Walker
    Just got another rough quote from an approved installer. £1900 upwards to £2700. So another one well above £1500. Maybe prices have just risen? Or I'm contacting the wrong people.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    When comparing quotes, you need to be clear exactly what they are going to do.

* Does it include a power flush? If not, will your warranty be valid?
    * does the vent need altering? Building Regs have chaned.
    * Adding radiator thermostats? Again, BRs may reqire these if you don't have them
    * upgrading controls?

Yes, the choice of boiler manufacturer and model is important, as is are the reviews of the instaler, but also consider the 'extras' each one does or does not include.
  • The_Walker
    I got an proper quote from an approved installer and it came in at £2200. That's a downgrade from 30C to 25C (because we don't need 30C), and doesn't include any radiator fittings, power flush (which could damage warranty) or thermostat control. Boiler goes in same position and only requires a metre of copper pipe.

How does this quote sound? These are South prices btw, if that makes a difference.
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Do you have to have a new boiler? Or can it be secondhand plus labour?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure