Which "all in one" remote control ?

Currently we have two remote controls simply because we have a freesat box. Once we have used one of the control to activate start up, we use the other to change channel/volume etc. I have been told we can eliminate that procedure with an all-in-one but it has to be set up.

We have a friend, ex-Curry's, who has recently set our new tv up and connected it to set top box who will set up remote. But how do you decide which model etc.

Comments

• almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Before you spend money, does your Freesat remote maybe support basic TV functions that you can set up?

I've got this or a slightly older version:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Harmony-350-Remote-Control-Black/dp/B00KD5LBVY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1523362579&sr=8-5&keywords=logitech+remote&dpID=41l-WKOJhKL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

And it's really excellent. Software on your computer, search for your TV and Freesat box (I had a soundbar type thing too, to add), and it'll set them up. You can assign special buttons yourself - for example I simply assigned the '1' button (up top, not on the number pad) as the 'library' button to bring up the recordings on the Freesat box.
    With your setup, you would simply put the Freesat box as 'sat' and the TV as 'TV', sync everything, and press 'Sat' at the top once and that would be it.
    The top yellow button should turn on and off both your TV and box at the same time.
    Supports up to 4 devices.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    almillar wrote: »
    Before you spend money, does your Freesat remote maybe support basic TV functions that you can set up?

I've got this or a slightly older version:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Harmony-350-Remote-Control-Black/dp/B00KD5LBVY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1523362579&sr=8-5&keywords=logitech+remote&dpID=41l-WKOJhKL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

And it's really excellent. Software on your computer, search for your TV and Freesat box (I had a soundbar type thing too, to add), and it'll set them up. You can assign special buttons yourself - for example I simply assigned the '1' button (up top, not on the number pad) as the 'library' button to bring up the recordings on the Freesat box.
    With your setup, you would simply put the Freesat box as 'sat' and the TV as 'TV', sync everything, and press 'Sat' at the top once and that would be it.
    The top yellow button should turn on and off both your TV and box at the same time.
    Supports up to 4 devices.

How do you think yours compares with this, the one my friend feels would be ok
    https://www.oneforall.co.uk/urc7130-essence-3.html
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That Oneforall remote looks quite like a Humax remote. If I were you. I'd check on the link you sent me 'Find your setup code' and make sure there is one for your devices, so you'll have an easier time. It's half the price of the Logitech and it might do the job just nicely - please come back and let us know how it goes.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    The next one up in the Oneforall range:

https://www.oneforall.co.uk/universal-remotes/urc7140-essence-4.html

Is often in supermarkets for £10 or less.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    almillar wrote: »
    That Oneforall remote looks quite like a Humax remote. If I were you. I'd check on the link you sent me 'Find your setup code' and make sure there is one for your devices, so you'll have an easier time. It's half the price of the Logitech and it might do the job just nicely - please come back and let us know how it goes.

I found the essence 3 was not stocked by argos or currys. I phoned currys and ther said the had the essence 4, slightly deared but perfect for my needs. I ordered it and today collected it. Tomorrow my friend, ex- Asst.Manager at Currys, is coming to tune it in for me, because I'm thick. Will report back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure