Full and final settlement help thread

Options

Comments

• Dugdeepindebt
    Options
    I have sent them a counter offer but i highly doubt they will accept it :rotfl:
    Fingers crossed that some point in the future they offer us the same discount. For now I've decided to request cca and see what they come back with.
  • NeverendingDMP
    NeverendingDMP Posts: 1,745 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    On the plus side it must mean they paid a low price. I can't afford more than 10% if my total. After calming myself down from a missed opportunity I decided to think positive as if I win the lottery at any point my 40% offer now means that at some point when I'm rich and famous I may only have to pay 65 or 70. The likelihood is that I will do the right thing and pay off every penny though :(
    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213 - March 24 16.6k
    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Dec 23- just under 69k
  • Lovetobedebtfree
    Options
    Thank you so much, very handy to know, I am hoping to be able to get a mortgage on my HA flat when it is allowed/released by the government so I know I need to save for a deposit which will take time but I also was advised to settle by a Mortgage advisor and then have no unsecured debt for 2 years to help my Mortgage application. So I was thinking of settling my debts as soon as possible to begin the process but maybe I don't need to stress too much if the defaults will show for another 5 years anyway.
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not my debt, but a friend has just had an out of the blue offer to settle from Robinson Way which I thought might be of interest to others (originally a BC debt).

Token payments for about 18 months has led to an offer to settle for approx 22% of the balance. Debt was just over £12k with a settlement offer of £2,540. Rob Way have agreed the reduced settlement offer can be paid over six months and account will be marked as satisfied.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not my debt, but a friend has just had an out of the blue offer to settle from Robinson Way which I thought might be of interest to others (originally a BC debt).

Token payments for about 18 months has led to an offer to settle for approx 22% of the balance. Debt was just over £12k with a settlement offer of £2,540. Rob Way have agreed the reduced settlement offer can be paid over six months and account will be marked as satisfied.

Thanks for the info, January:T:beer:

It's certainly very useful to me as one of my debts is with them, an old Tesco CC debt with a current balance of under £3000. Payment has been on hold for about 9 months because they couldn't obtain the CCA paperwork from Tesco. They finally sent me something a few weeks ago but it looks very sketchy to me and I suspect it isn't compliant. I've recommenced payments but of only £1 a month as that's what I'm paying other creditors for as long as I can. RW were very nice on the phone, very understanding and helpful about the token payment. I still have to check if this debt really is enforceable or not (via the AAD forums) but what with the death of my brother and the aftermath I lost the plot for a while:o. Feeling ready to give it some welly again now though so will follow this up asap. With a bit of luck I won't have to pay even 22%:j

I hope everything is well with you and that your debt clearance is all going to plan:beer:
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the info, January:T:beer:

It's certainly very useful to me as one of my debts is with them, an old Tesco CC debt with a current balance of under £3000. Payment has been on hold for about 9 months because they couldn't obtain the CCA paperwork from Tesco. They finally sent me something a few weeks ago but it looks very sketchy to me and I suspect it isn't compliant. I've recommenced payments but of only £1 a month as that's what I'm paying other creditors for as long as I can. RW were very nice on the phone, very understanding and helpful about the token payment. I still have to check if this debt really is enforceable or not (via the AAD forums) but what with the death of my brother and the aftermath I lost the plot for a while:o. Feeling ready to give it some welly again now though so will follow this up asap. With a bit of luck I won't have to pay even 22%:j

I hope everything is well with you and that your debt clearance is all going to plan:beer:

Thanks CBC - I won't hijack this thread with my own stuff... suffice to say that one month post redundancy it's starting to feel less like a holiday and more like unemployment ;) :rotfl:
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Hammath
    Hammath Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Quick question.

Is it ever possible to clear a default with a reduced payment but have your credit report updated to say settled rather than partially?

Brief outline I have 4 accounts with Cabot and have made no payment to them. I am in the position to get a mortgage and my broker has advised I just need to have these accounts settled. He specifically said not to get them partially settled and even confirmed with the mortgage provider that when settled they would be happy to process the mortgage.

Am I just going to have to suck it up and pay them in full?

Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 8 May 2018 at 9:57AM
    Options
    Hammath wrote: »
    Quick question.

Is it ever possible to clear a default with a reduced payment but have your credit report updated to say settled rather than partially?

Brief outline I have 4 accounts with Cabot and have made no payment to them. I am in the position to get a mortgage and my broker has advised I just need to have these accounts settled. He specifically said not to get them partially settled and even confirmed with the mortgage provider that when settled they would be happy to process the mortgage.

Am I just going to have to suck it up and pay them in full?

Thanks

I'm sorry I can't answer your questions as I have had no experience of mortgages since ours was paid off many moons ago.

What I do know is that, in every case I've heard of, a creditor marks a Full & Final settlement (a misnomer if ever there was one) as Partially Settled. I don't think there's any way to get round that. I hope Fatbelly, sourcrates, January or someone else with the exact information will be along to help you.

There are 2 points in your post though that struck me. You said you have not made any payment to Cabot. I don't understand what you mean by that, sorry:o. Your accounts are in arrears and defaulted so your credit file will show this. anyway. I'm surprised your Mortgage company will accept that situation and not Partially Settled status instead.

Also, you mention offers. Have Cabot contacted you to say they will accept a settlement offer yet? It's isn't a given that creditors will accept them and often depends how far down the line you are with the debts. It may be that Cabot will accept just a minimal deduction from the balance in order to settle so, in that case, it would be worth paying in full if you are in a position to do so and avoid the Partially Settled status on your file.

Finally, have these debts have been ongoing for a while? Defaults drop off your credit file after 6 years anyway and although the balance is still outstanding no-one can see evidence that it even exists by looking at your file. At least, that's what I understand so I hope someone more knowledgeable will come along and provide the exact information.

Good Luck:beer:
  • Hammath
    Hammath Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Since my accounts were passed to Cabot financial I haven't made a payment towards them or contacted them . It's been about 5 years. They have sent me a letter saying they will accept 50% of the balance in settlement.

In order to proceed with the mortgage application I need the accounts to show as settled rather than partially. This was a very specific request. Because my last 4/5 years credit file is good , once these old defaults are showing as settled rather than defaults with outstanding balances, the mortgage company are happy to proceed.

I know I have the option to wait about 12 months and not have to pay anything towards them at all but I'm in the position to use some of my house deposit to clear the balances and proceed with the mortgage now rather than wait and continue to waste money renting.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 8 May 2018 at 10:32AM
    Options
    Hammath wrote: »
    Since my accounts were passed to Cabot financial I haven't made a payment towards them or contacted them . It's been about 5 years. They have sent me a letter saying they will accept 50% of the balance in settlement.

In order to proceed with the mortgage application I need the accounts to show as settled rather than partially. This was a very specific request. Because my last 4/5 years credit file is good , once these old defaults are showing as settled rather than defaults with outstanding balances, the mortgage company are happy to proceed.

I know I have the option to wait about 12 months and not have to pay anything towards them at all but I'm in the position to use some of my house deposit to clear the balances and proceed with the mortgage now rather than wait and continue to waste money renting.

Thank you. Sorry, though, I still don't fully understand:o.

If you haven't paid Cabot anything for 5 years I can't see how your last 4/5 years credit file can be good:think:. I'm assuming therefore that these debts were defaulted prior to the 5 years that Cabot have owned them , in which case they should have dropped off your file after 6 years in total and this will be reflected in your file now being good.

There is a situation where debts become Statute Barred. I do not know the full details of this, sorry:o, but after 6 years (I think) of no contact or payment between creditor and debtor the debt ceases to be claimable. As you said you had no contact for 5 years and just have another year to go I assume Statute Barring is what you're referring to. You say you don't want to waste another year renting but it might be worth it to have the debts totally written off. I'm not sure how this would appear on your credit file though for mortgage purposes. I hope someone else will be along very soon to explain. It doesn't affect me directly.but I'd really like to know the answers as your question really interested me.

In any case, I'd advise not doing anything at all yet including responding in any way whatsoever to Cabot's offer letter.. Can you hold off making a decision until someone is able to give you some good, solid advice? Incidentally, a 50% reduction after 5 years of paying nothing doesn't seem a very good settlement deal to me:eek:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback