I've been screwed by MBNA..Help!

Options
2»

Comments

• J_Taylor
    Options
    TheShape wrote: »
    Are MBNA getting tough on people using its cards as Mules for stoozing?

OP, what is your MBNA credit limit?
    Credit limit was £9800, balance remaining was -£5,254, I transferred £15,540 (when I should have transferred £15,054) which brought balance to +£10,286. Simple mistake yet costly.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Nobody would make such a mistake.
    You tried to take advantage of all the advice on here to use MBNA as a mule card and it backfired.
    Probably MBNA are getting sick of it; after all it is of no advantage to them in any way.
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Very recently I used MBNA to mule £13500 from Barclaycard to my bank account. My MBNA account was then 13.5k in credit.
    I did have a bit of a grilling as to why I had put the account into credit. I started to explain to the cs rep what I was doing but she couldn't grasp the concept so I ended up telling her I had made a mistake and the credit balance was transferred to my current account.
    It is probably the last time I will use MBNA for this purpose, not least because I have run out of 0% BT offers I could use. Just peaked at around £55K stoozed will have to give it a few years before I get accepted for anymore cards!
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    I suspect your downfall was the size of the +ve balance. I've muled well over £20K through MBNA in the last 2 months, but kept all +ve balances under £10K...an approach I've adopted since the good old Egg Money days*.

I did get a bit of a grilling on the 2nd and 3rd requests, but nothing too serious. It was enough, however, to persuade me to mule the remaining £10K through a different provider.

Is £10k a standard trigger for money laundering checks? Nationwide told me that anything over £3k on their card would lead to a delay in transferring it out.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 16 March 2018 at 7:54AM
    Options
    J_Taylor wrote: »
    Credit limit was £9800, balance remaining was -£5,254, I transferred £15,540 (when I should have transferred £15,054) which brought balance to +£10,286. Simple mistake yet costly.
    Well no. Assuming that the balance of your MBNA card was £5,254 you should have transferred a maximum of £5254. Next time you want a money transfer get a money transfer card.

PS Congratulations on getting a £15K+ initial credit limit from Barclaycard. Such a shame that you have ruined the excellent credit history that you must have had to have got this limit by being greedy.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    Well no.
    Did you read the date of the post you're responding to?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure