PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Would you return cheap tat?

Comments

• I'm a very good taker-backer.

I took a pack of bin bags back to Aldi!! I knew the size of my bin, bought the ones that were the correct size according to the packet, but when I got them home they were well short of the mark - even if you included the tie handles, they weren't as long as the pack said they were. Far too small for the bin. The manager was a bit surprised (we ended up having a laugh and measuring the bags with a tape measure), but I got my money back (which I spent on bigger bags, so everyone was happy).
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'm a very good taker-backer.

I took a pack of bin bags back to Aldi!! I knew the size of my bin, bought the ones that were the correct size according to the packet, but when I got them home they were well short of the mark - even if you included the tie handles, they weren't as long as the pack said they were. Far too small for the bin. The manager was a bit surprised (we ended up having a laugh and measuring the bags with a tape measure), but I got my money back (which I spent on bigger bags, so everyone was happy).

Talking about bin bags. I bought 3 rolls of bin liners with handles from Lidl. The handles on none of them were joined/seamed. Still, they did the purpose they were bought for, it was just that it wasn't quite as easy to seal the bag when it was full. I had 4 flapping bits instead of 2 handles.:(
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 April 2017 at 11:16AM
    dekaspace wrote: »
    In the past bought kitchen knives from poundland so dull and flimsy I could bend them in my hands......

But something like this wrist band is useless unless its a child despite not being marketed as one.........

Lightbulbs that blew within a few days I would take back..........

Did take back a £1 charging cable when on first use it partly melted too and a 3 way switch that did.

Using your examples:

Kitchen knives - there's very little more dangerous in a kitchen than flimsy / blunt knives. I wouldn't ever buy a kitchen knife from Poundland. Why? Because your safety literally depends on the quality and strength of the knife.

Cheap knives can snap (with the shard spinning away with force), blunt blades slip and slide which encourages you to use more force then, ouch, the blade ends up in you instead.

Wristband - anything required as a medical aid needs to be properly measured.... and is worth the extra expense to ensure it's fit for purpose.

The light bulbs - yes, I would take back and complain but only if I was going back anyway. Otherwise the expense of returning would outstrip the refund.

Faulty cable - as it melted, I'd have contacted Trading Standards to report it.... chances are the whole batch needs to be withdrawn to save someone else from an electrical fire.

I think the phrase 'buy cheap, buy twice' is true with some things. Pound shops etc are great but when it comes to health or safety items I'd always look for quality over price - peace of mind is more important than cost.
    :hello:
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    dekaspace wrote: »

Lightbulbs that blew within a few days I would take back.
    A few months ago I bought a twin pack of bulbs from ASDA. One worked but the other was dead.

I brought the faulty one back to ASDA on my next trip and explained the problem. I expected to be given one replacement.

The lady on customer services gave me another twin pack so I ended up with 3 bulbs for the price of two.
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I always try and return tat, or anything else for that matter, because if it doesn't work or do the trick then it's expensive tat, or whatever. I return flowers which don't last the 10 days promised, avocados sold as ready to eat which are black the day you buy them, food which is inedible before the use by date, etc. The only things I find difficult to take back are the expensive low energy light bulbs as it's difficult to remember where and when they were purchased and a lot of them have nothing to say what they are. Really, they are so expensive that I think they should come with lot numbers so one can identify them, like other electrical goods. I don't cheat the system, however, and feel well within my rights to ask for my money back.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Depends on the travel / postage costs: sometimes it's not cost effective. I try to buy 'known' quality (doesn't always work!) in line with the 'buy cheap, buy twice' principle.

(There are times 'cheap' is ok for something 'one off' - I've just bought a mini mitre box for less than £4: I need it to cut 4 mitres for a bit of framing round a central heating control in a cupboard, after that it will be surplus. A 'quality' one (that would last a lifetime of constant use was £40-£50) wasn't practical for 4 cuts.)
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes, if it's not fit for purpose, then I would return it, on principle.

That said, I'd be wary of what I was buying at places like Poundland in the first place.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Judi wrote: »
    youve got to work out if its worth your time/transport costs and energy to return it.
    Thats the advantage of buying locally. I'd be quite happy to walk the 4 mile round trip to my nearest Poundland, it's a good excuse for some brisk exercise.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes I always do.

Daughter bought some pegs in poundland that just twisted when you tried to open them she said oh well they were only a pound.

So I took them back and got the pound!!
  • charlies-aunt
    charlies-aunt Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Cheap tat that isn't fit for purpose become expensive tat!

Personally, I would take back anything that isn't up to doing the job that its supposed to do, regardless of price paid

Credit where credit is due - Poundland do have some really good stuff - but you need to choose with care - I bought head torches in 2013 that are still going strong despite daily use in winter. :)
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family