2011 Student Loan in wrong persons name?

My son attended uni 2011 til 2014 and fees and loans were applied for and paid ok. However, his dad thought he was doing him a favour and applied on his behalf. It now turns out that the loans etc were in his dads name and not my son.
They now want him to retrospectively apply again for loans. I can't understand why son has to apply for the student loans again when they have already been paid.

My question is , could they insist his dad pays the loans as they are in his name and not my sons?
Anyone else in this position? Thanks

Comments

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Frazer01 wrote: »
    My son attended uni 2011 til 2014 and fees and loans were applied for and paid ok. However, his dad thought he was doing him a favour and applied on his behalf. It now turns out that the loans etc were in his dads name and not my son.
    They now want him to retrospectively apply again for loans. I can't understand why son has to apply for the student loans again when they have already been paid.

My question is , could they insist his dad pays the loans as they are in his name and not my sons?
    Anyone else in this position? Thanks

This can't have seriously happened?

In order to release student finance, the institution has to confirm a student's attendance to Student Finance England. If the details are wrong on the Student Finance system, the university should not have confirmed the student's attendance to release the loan funding as the dad was not studying.

If they did then it's a mistake as the dad was not entitled to the loan funding, nor is he liable for the repayments. Technically in this situation the loan funding should be withdrawn in full as the person that applied and received the funding was not entitled to it.

You can only apply for funding for an academic year up to 9 months after the start of that academic year. They are obviously making an exception here so I'd consider yourself lucky.
  • Frazer01
    Frazer01 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Thank you for the reply. It just seems so odd that they're asking him to apply again when he's had the loans already.
    HMRC are asking his dad to repay it. It's so confusing, as sons new employer is also deducting money from sons salary!
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Frazer01 wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply. It just seems so odd that they're asking him to apply again when he's had the loans already.
    HMRC are asking his dad to repay it. It's so confusing, as sons new employer is also deducting money from sons salary!

Seems a right mess but they're right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport