PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    monnagran wrote: »
    Cross posted Fuddle. D'you know, I'm almost disappointed that Mr P. S. approves of your shed. He has stepped right out of character, which is disconcerting.

Ah, but it's a proper allotment shed, made from bits of other sheds and stuff. She's redeemed herself. A few plastic-bottle cloches and old CD & binder twine bird scarers, water butts made of old plastic barrels and compost bins made out of old pallets and she'll soon be accepted...

Now if she'd put up a new shed and had posh fake-beehive composters and terracotta water butts she'd have reinforced their original opinion of her.

Keep an eye on what GQ is up to and follow her example. Recycle and bodge on the allotment. It doesn't do to let it look too smart. Eccentric and eclectic yes, but smart means too much time titivating and not enough gardening.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Make sure you do rest up fuds or I'll shout . You must be doing something right to get the shed approved by Mr Pea Seedling , you should have an easier growing season ahead now .

As for your sister although you had high hopes initially I always wondered if things would work out . You've both got different values in life . Maybe the odd visit now and then could work but you're following different paths in life . It's never ok for anyone to try to belittle someone else . I've believed all along there are strong elements of jealousy to you and you little family in various family members .
    You're marching to a different drum and they don't understand that .
    You've pulled yourself up learning and striving to live the life you wanted . Just be happy , don't allow negative opinions to impinge on the life you love .

And learn to pace yourself - Says the kettle to the pot :rotfl::rotfl:

polly xxxx
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm also kind of disappointed Mr Pea Shoot likes it. Maybe with a few fairy lights he'd be more miffed? :D Fuddle, your sister just sounds like a real boaster. People like that always tend to be dissatisfied with their lot too, regardless of how much stuff they get or posh things they do. They know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.

With you lot starting your hermit library commune, I will continue to man the Australian outpost. All those in need of getting back to nature are welcome to come and visit more weather and wildlife than they feel fit to handle :p My hubby and I maintain that the primary reason we're successfully married is that we're the only people either of us can bear to be in the company of for an extended period of time without getting !!!!ed off. And he actively encourages me reading (my ex husband thought I should have been doing housework instead).

Hester, I think you need a wind-up charger. And CHS needs to be doing the winding.

I managed zumba class number 2 last night. Not sure I'll be managing much at all today though! :rotfl:
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Softstuff I think the wildlife may be a bit much for me . However mar may be interested :cool:
    I reckon CHS does plenty of winding already . If he survives tonight without hester going for the throat he'll be a lucky man .
    How have you survived the day monna ? I think I may have peaked too soon . Totally overdone today . I managed a shower but will need to get up very early to wash my hair before going out as it was beyond me earlier .
    You need to work on how we can bottle that energy so we can take it in sensible doses rather than in one go .
    I'm off to bed sleep well all .
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Fuddle we call Marco Pierre doo dahh 'the stock cube botherer' and if she can appreciate a thoughtful gift then she doesn't deserve it anyway - I hope you get good use out of them x

Rushing off to work, will read all of your [STRIKE]mad[/STRIKE] informative observations on my return :D
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you all so much, your comments made me laugh cheered me up no end.
    Well Monna your suggestion worked, I can no longer speak above a whisper as my throat is raw but after singing loud and long I slept from 11 last night until 5 this morning, helped by the rain pattering on the roof.
    My singing did not disturb CHS as without his hearing aids he cannot hear anything, we moor beside the railway tracks in Thatcham, high-speed trains every 2 minutes and he is oblivious.
    We have 2 more miles and 2 more locks until we get to the next winding hole where we turn around and head back. We will moor up for a couple of days somewhere nice, hopefully with few trees and some tv signal!
    Fuds take care of yourself, if you'd like some bunting for your shed I'd be happy to make you some.
    Where's Karcher, are you ok? Hugs to Burtha.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Cocketts
    Cocketts Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    monnagran wrote: »

As for Hermits R Us I'm afraid you will all have to shuffle back one in the queue. My game so I am No. 1. In any case my innate bossiness precludes me from being anywhere but in charge. I'm sorry. I don't take orders. I barely take suggestions.

..... I was forever 'bossing' my sister about. She now tells me it's not 'bossiness' - I have 'leadership qualities':D:rotfl:
    Everything will be alright in the end - and if it's not alright, it's not the end ........
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Hester, can you go wherever you like? I mean does that canal lead to another canal etc and you could do an escape in summer?
    Polly is right Softstuff, I am very fond of wildlife ;)
    Tell me - have you ever tried kangaroo steaks? or emu??....
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 March 2018 at 9:02AM
    Some canals join others Mar, some are all on their own. We bought our boat in Crick in Northants we brought her home via the Grand Union canal, Oxford canal, river Thames and Kennet and Avon canal.
    CHS has 2 of the battery packs but they take too long to charge on the boat, or so he tells me.
    We won't be going anywhere today as it is raining heavily, I shall sweep and mop the floor to stop me getting bored!
    CHS has been cogitating an intermittent/ problem with the macerating toilet, he has just informed me that from now on I need to wee in a bottle, my life is now complete!!
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mardatha wrote: »
    Polly is right Softstuff, I am very fond of wildlife ;)
    Tell me - have you ever tried kangaroo steaks? or emu??....

Kangaroo, yes. It sits on the supermarket shelf right next to the lamb. Have to say though, don't think much of it, would rather have rump steak at a similar price. It's very low in fat, and I'm not too fussed.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure