The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Got soy sauce and brown sauce and red wine. Not going to mess with adding flour NM as everytime I try that I end up with watery gravy full of wee white lumps, and have to pass it through a sieve :D:D
    Cooking is absolutely NOT MY THING lol.
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    mardatha wrote: »
    Got soy sauce and brown sauce and red wine. Not going to mess with adding flour NM as everytime I try that I end up with watery gravy full of wee white lumps, and have to pass it through a sieve :D:D
    Cooking is absolutely NOT MY THING lol.

I would just use the red wine and some herbs - once the wine is in simmer it down to thicken :D

Oh and Festive Greetings to all of you! :santa2::xmastree::snow_laug
    Must use my stash up!
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,185
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Mar Try a teaspoon of marmite, taste it & see if it needs a bit more ;)
    Thickening can be done with a bit of mash or a soft-boiled potato stirred in.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,704
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    mardatha wrote: »
    Is it really really bad to have cherry cake for breakfast? I mean, Santa's been and gone onto other galaxies hasn't he - so he won't ever know ;)

I had trifle and bucks fizz for lunch, the HT has laryngitis and was up at 3:45am (I sent him back to bed to wait until 6am) and I am currently making dinner which will have vegetables, unlike any other meal that we've had today.

Hugs to all of you.
  • jamanda
    jamanda Posts: 968
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Happy Christmas one and all from a lurker.

To amuse you -
    my family now know I'm senile. Daughter came with the grandkids yesterday and took their pressies. Son's pressies still here for this evening.

This morning's phone call, I asked if she had anything that she liked. After umming and ahhing a bit, she said she unwrapped one item and it was a pack of Calvin Klein underpants.

So her stuff is still here, his is there and I don't know which way up I am. She'll remember this one as the one her mum went daft.

Still, it makes Christmas last a bit longer, because neither of them will get their presents until later this evening.

Best wishes to those struggling. I read and sympathise all the time, but that doesn't help much.

J
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 25 December 2017 at 6:39PM
    Well today was different! We went to see dad, pulled crackers, wore the hats and he gave mum her necklace that I'd sorted out for him. He said it looked lovely and insisted that we called his nurse in to admire it!
    He didn't want any dinner but had some juice and, with the OK from the medics, a whisky and water. He gave us his xmas pudding to share, and very nice it was too.

We made some phonecalls for him and he spoke to his siblings and we showed him the video of this grandkids wishing him a happy xmas and singing carols for,him.

He asked us to stay all afternoon. We had gone in at 10.45 and got back at 4.45. He needed a rest in the afternoon so we took our cheese sandwhiches and picnic-ed in the car. I should say that we were offered lunch at hosp and the use of the family room for our picnic but it suited us to relax outside with a lovely view across the sea.

Our xmas dinner is just about to come out of the oven when a large sherry will be poured!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    MMF007 wrote: »
    Well today was different! We went to see dad, pulled crackers, wore thenhats and he gave mum her necklace that I'd sorted out for him. He said it looked lovely and insisted that we called his nurse in to admire it!
    He didn't want any dinner but had some juice and, with the OK from the medics, a whisky and water. He gave us his xmas pudding to share, and very nice it was too.

We made some phonecalls for him and he spoke to his siblings and we showed him the video of this grandkids wishing him a happy xmas and singing carols for,him.

He asked us to stay all afternoon. We had gone in at 10.45 and got back at 4.45. He needed a restin the afternoon so we took our cheese sandwhiches and picnic-ed in the car. I should say that we were offered lunch at hosp and the use of the family room formour picnic but it suited us to relax outside with a lovely view across the sea.

Our xmas dinner is just about to come out of the oven when a large sherry will be poured!

Under the circumstances that sounds a great day!
    Must use my stash up!
  • MMF007
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Knit_Witch wrote: »
    Under the circumstances that sounds a great day!
    That's what I thought. Dad even complemented us on how well we looked after him and said we made a great team :)
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Oh MMF, I am so glad that you had such a good day with your Dad. Even more pleased that your Mum will have such happy memories of today. A picnic in the car overlooking the sea sounds like bliss. I hope you enjoyed your Christmas dinner when you got it.

Had to laugh at the present mix-up, jamanda. An easy mistake to make.

Did you manage the gravy in the end, Mar?

I'm not sure who thought it would be a good idea to give Pickle a microphone. It was exceedingly powerful, with a sort of echo chamber on it and a karaoke option. Her grandfather did complain mildly that it was too loud but she explained kindly, that it is a microphone Gramps. It is supposed to be LOUD. It was quite a relief when she switched to giving us the "Amazing Magic Show," with her new conjurors set. It didnt help that she had no idea what the tricks were and wasnt about to accept any help from an adult. She was incensed when she realised that her audience was doubled up with helpless mirth, tears of laughter streaming down our cheeks.

It was a lovely day with an excellent lunch but I was relieved to reach my quiet, peaceful home again. I'm now tucked up in bed with a hot chocolate and preparing to watch some of my recorded programmes.
    The wind is reaching gale force outside but I am warm and cosy, well fed and comfortable and very, very grateful for my life.

Tomorrow is another day.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • MMF007
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Oh Monna, Pickle entertaining you all made me smile. I can picture the scene(s) :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure