NHS Redundancy and Reckonable Service

Options
I joined the NHS back in 2014 at the time i battled with HR for 6 months for them to recognise my council service as reckon-able, they agreed it was, but is not included for redundancy. I found out today i'm being made redundant and now fighting as to why my NHS organisation has gone against Agenda For Change (AFC) which says you either accept reckon-able service or not. They have no policy nothing to say how they decided this (hence it took them 6 months to agree to anything in the first place) they have nothing to say why they have gone against AFC. Has anyone had any dealings in this? i have asked my union for advice (PCS) but not heard anything as yet.

Comments

• Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    I'm a bit rusty on this but are you sure it's your individual trust that determines your service? I thought it was down to the NHS Pensions Agency (or whatever it's now called). So for instance, when I was in a similar position, all the quotes and options I received came from the Agency. Obviously your employer eventually determines who is made redundant, but I doubt your HR people could definitively calculate your service by themselves.

But I could be wholly mistaken!

Does PCS have much experience dealing with NHS Ts&Cs?
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    I joined the NHS back in 2014 at the time i battled with HR for 6 months for them to recognise my council service as reckon-able, they agreed it was, but is not included for redundancy. ...

Reckonable service

12.1 An employee’s continuous previous service with any NHS employer counts as reckonable service in respect of NHS agreements on redundancy, maternity, sick pay and annual leave.

12.2 Employers have discretion to take into account any period or periods of employment with employers outside the NHS, where these are judged to be relevant to NHS employment.

http://www.nhsemployers.org/tchandbook/part-3-terms-and-conditions-of-service/section-12-contractual-continuity-of-service

The note to 12.2 states;

1 See the question and answer guidance in Annex 28 (England and Wales) or Annex 28 (Scotland and Northern Ireland).
    Information note number 1: amendment number 37

Note 1 to Annex 28 to the Agenda for Change, talks about relevant experience in the health services of another Member State of the European Union.

http://www.nhsemployers.org/tchandbook/annex-26-to-29/annex-28-guidance-on-faqs-england-and-wales

Do you have written confirmation that this NHS trust exercised their discretion to count your council service as reckonable?
    Does PCS have much experience dealing with NHS Ts&Cs?

PCS is the pen pushers union. Even the NHS has pen pushers.:)

I think they have a health group. They should really know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure