Are value / Basic brands disappearing from the supermarkets?

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Yes, I use a few Morrisons saver products:

washing-up liquid 34p
    laundry liquid £1.58
    oats 75p
    honey £1
    tin beans
    tin tomatoes / kidney beans 30p
    crumpets 37p
    tissues 65p
    binbags 95p

haven't tried but should be ok:

Jaffa cakes 30p
    orange juice 1l 55p
    yogurt 500g 45p
  • sarahj1986
    sarahj1986 Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Morrisons seemed to have rebranded their value range and started marketing it again. I don!!!8217;t know how it compares to the old value brand range or price though
    :money::rotfl::T
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I've never been to a Morrisons - are these basics items nice - and could you get a sizeable chunk of the weekly shop there?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    mardatha wrote: »
    I've never been to a Morrisons - are these basics items nice - and could you get a sizeable chunk of the weekly shop there?

I get most of my weekly shop there with a few bits from Lidl. occasionally Iceland.

I've been doing that for a few years since I got fed up with Tesco. I never go there now.

All the saver items I listed earlier are fine. You can't really go wrong with them. Oats is oats.

I might avoid some of the saver range. I think they do a cottage pie for £1. Haven't tried it.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I'll try and get to one sometime soon, could stock up and save a good bit over Sainsbugs I think.
  • judexx
    judexx Posts: 495 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Heads-up if you're shopping online - Tesco would appear to be rebranding their 'Value' range.

The old 'value' ones are showing as discontinued and (of course) they don't suggest the rebranded one as an alternative but their more expensive own label.

Initially I cursed as it appeared that they had stopped selling so many of my favourite 'value' items but then I realised that they are just changing them to many different brands.

So far I've found Cupboard stock eg oats, sultana are now 'Grower's Harvest' and tinned goods are 'Stockwell & Co'. - would appear to be identical products to the old 'Value' ones.

Can't keep up with the various 'farm' brands for fruit and veg.

Has anyone else found any other new brands that used to be 'Value' ?
  • Their chocolate digestives are now Ms Molly I think.
    Just hope they don't take away their value tea bags !
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    H W Nevill's for white sliced bread (45p) and I think there should be wholemeal too but not in the Metro I was in this morning.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,600 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    judexx wrote: »
    Heads-up if you're shopping online - Tesco would appear to be rebranding their 'Value' range.

The old 'value' ones are showing as discontinued and (of course) they don't suggest the rebranded one as an alternative but their more expensive own label.

Initially I cursed as it appeared that they had stopped selling so many of my favourite 'value' items but then I realised that they are just changing them to many different brands.

So far I've found Cupboard stock eg oats, sultana are now 'Grower's Harvest' and tinned goods are 'Stockwell & Co'. - would appear to be identical products to the old 'Value' ones.

Can't keep up with the various 'farm' brands for fruit and veg.

Has anyone else found any other new brands that used to be 'Value' ?

Hearty Food Co is a new one,
    Suntrail Farms & Woodside Farms are old re-brands.
  • SeeMe
    SeeMe Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    mummyof5 wrote: »
    Just hope they don't take away their value tea bags !

Was in today and the value tea bags were Stockwell & Co 80 for 50p in a box, you could buy their old value tea bags for 20p for 40, so its 10p dearer for the 80 box.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure