Noise when turning steering wheel to its limit

ozaz
ozaz Posts: 315 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Hi,

I'm currently looking around for a used car. Whilst testing a car today I noticed a whining or screeching noise when turning the steering wheel to its extreme (done when maneuvering out of a tight space). The noise wasn't present at any other time. I was told that this was normal for cars with hydraulic power steering and steering wheels should not be turned to their extremes.

I'm not knowledgeable about cars but have never noticed this on any other car I've driven and have never heard that steering wheels should not be turned to their extremes.

Was the dealer fibbing/ignorant or is there truth in what he says?

If the noise is indicative of a problem, what the best and worst case scenarios for a fix?

Cheers

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,641 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ozaz wrote: »

If the noise is indicative of a problem, what the best and worst case scenarios for a fix?

Look for another car rather than this one, would be the best case scenario.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • ozaz
    Look for another car rather than this one, would be the best case scenario.

Thanks. So from your reply I take it that its likely to indicate a problem of some sort even if only present when wheel is turned to its extreme?
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,885 Forumite
    I was told that this was normal for cars with hydraulic power steering and steering wheels should not be turned to their extremes.
    I'm not knowledgeable about cars but have never noticed this on any other car I've driven and have never heard that steering wheels should not be turned to their extremes.

It may have been the belt slipping, I have had that issue before.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Probably needs a new drive belt, the dealer is correct, you shouldn't hold power steering against the stops. It causes a huge load on the system, as it is trying to turn the wheels through a physical stop, which can burst pipes, overheat fluid or cause a marginal belt to slip.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • ozaz
    Thanks. So just to clarify...

Dealer was correct to say its not good practice to turn the wheel to its limit but he was not correct to say that the whining noise is normal and nothing to worry about?
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks. So just to clarify...

Dealer was correct to say its not good practice to turn the wheel to its limit but he was not correct to say that the whining noise is normal and nothing to worry about?

It normal if you abuse it.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    facade wrote: »
    Probably needs a new drive belt, the dealer is correct, you shouldn't hold power steering against the stops. It causes a huge load on the system, as it is trying to turn the wheels through a physical stop, which can burst pipes, overheat fluid or cause a marginal belt to slip.

Hes right in that you shouldnt turn them to their extremes however they shouldnt make screeching noises when you do.

That suggests it needs a new power steering drive belt at very least - not much fun if it snaps. :eek:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Whining or screeching, which was it? If its whining then that is normal at full lock when you're still applying pressure to the steering wheel.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Whining or screeching, which was it? If its whining then that is normal at full lock when you're still applying pressure to the steering wheel.

Good point, but either way if the whining was noticable to the extent it could have been mistaken for screeching or was combined with screeching then there is an issue there that needs to be resolved.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Dealer is lying to you, walk away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills