Electric cars

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 April 2018 at 7:27PM
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    PS - do you normally walk a dog or cycle down a main highway?
    You've never been to extra-urban Sweden, have you...?

This is the E45. It's the main - the only - spinal highway up and down the country. Think of it as the M1, but without the competition from the A1 or M6 or M40 or M5 or...

https://goo.gl/maps/XnSFm7HXNDA2

It's busy on that stretch. Turn around, and there's another vehicle.
    (Oh, and, yes, that is the entirety. There's not a second, separated, carriageway the other side of the trees. But there might be älgar.)
    "There is no electricity on the surface. There are two tracks, just like an outlet in the wall. Five or six centimetres down is where the electricity is...
    You're right, I missed that bit. But that just raises a shedload of questions over the mechanics of it, and how it'll work with drivers who are incapable of driving in exactly the right place on the road. And that's without contemplating multi-lane roads, because they're dalahest-skit there.

I don't even want to think about the infrastructural costs of installing this everywhere, let alone how this could possibly ever be monetised. Mind you, I'll bet you won't even admit that this kind of lateral thinking simply confirms that range and charging really IS a showstopper outside of urban use. And we all know that any kind of private car is an unsustainable idea inside towns. The grown-ups have been working on practical solutions to that for nearly a quarter of a century. But that kind of large-scale rethinking has all got a bit distracted by the shininess of marketing in the last few years...
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »
    You've never been to extra-urban Sweden, have you...?

As always, you are wrong, I have family in Sweden. Would you like some ointment for that burn? But again, perhaps you should read the article before commenting further:
    In Sweden there are roughly half a million kilometres of roadway, of which 20,000km are highways, Säll said.

“If we electrify 20,000km of highways that will definitely be be enough,” he added. “The distance between two highways is never more than 45km and electric cars can already travel that distance without needing to be recharged. Some believe it would be enough to electrify 5,000km.”

You're right, I missed that bit.

Of course you did, that's what happens when someone posts made up nonsense and negativity all the time without bothering to even read up on the subject they are trashing first. It's not your first time, and I doubt it'll be your last. Perhaps you can go to your new fall back and simply claim that all journo's are wrong?

BTW, on the subject of made up nonsense, I'm still waiting for you to answer those questions:
    Anyways, back to you supplying proof of the grand statements that you've made, and for which I've asked many times now:-

1. Proof that the Tesla semi's at the launch event where not mules, just stage-locked vehicles barely capable of moving themselves.

2. Proof that the trucks now being load tested by Tesla are new mules, as you stated, knocked together after the launch.

3. Proof that most UK loads are near to max weight, or shall we say, within 2t of max.

I'm assuming this information is at your finger tips, after all, Shirley you wouldn't make those 'statements of fact' falsely?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    I don't even want to think about the infrastructural costs of installing this everywhere, let alone how this could possibly ever be monetised.

You could just read the article?
    At a cost of €1m per kilometre, the cost of electrification is said to be 50 times lower than that required to construct an urban tram line.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So they're estimating 20,000km of mostly low-traffic single-lane road, at Eur1m/km. I make that Eur20bn, unless it's Eur1m per lane (which I suspect it is), so Eur2m/km to do both directions of that road.

The UK has 25,000km of mostly high-traffic multi-lane road, just within the trunk route network. Let's assume an average of 2.5 lane per direction. So that's Eur62.5-125bn. The Highways Agency's total budget was a bit under £2bn in 2014-15. OK, that's only for England, but...

But that isn't the entire infrastructural cost, is it? If only part of the road network is electrified, then the demand is greater, because the cars will be recharging instead of simply running on the supplied current. That Eur1m/km doesn't include the distribution and generation cost. And as for the monetisation of it...?
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Does Volvo count...?

Ah yes. It does. Point being, if you look beyond the badge and under the metal, theres loads of 'Chinese' in our cars, even our Peugeots, already. I think we would agree that Peugeot are a bit late complaining about a 'Chinese invasion'.
    It was a joke, because Adrian calls us fanbois if we say anything nice about Tesla.

I know, I know, but you just need to be careful not to wash over Tesla's failings. They ARE behind on Model 3 production. They HAVE had issues. They ARE improving on it. You'll sound like a fanboi if you only ever say positives and ignore the negatives.
    by developing them, rather than re-badging some Mitsu's, then they might not be in that position. They dragged their heels, as have many (most?) of the old school.

And again, my point is even just that simple rebadging job, plus the electric van (what's Peugeot's Berlingo) plus the list AdrianC gave you, shows that, in my opinion, they're actually ahead of a lot of the old school. Behind Renault? Sure. Behind BYD? Sure. But amongst the mainstream car manufacturers, they haven't been too bad in terms of electrification. I think you're very much downplaying them having an electric car on the road in 2010. Very few manufacturers can say that, by whatever means.
    Edit - Just a thought, but if you are right, and I'm wrong about PSA and their EV support, then that means PSA are wrong too, since they claim they need protection from the EV boys.

Those 2 statements aren't mutually exclusive. This is why you argue so much! I argued with 'not big supporters', your statement, not the contents of an article. Peugeot would argue that Europe led them down the diesel path with taxation and regulations, and I can see that argument.
    Wow, so much faux outrage from the PSA fanbois. Still flogging away at a dead horse!

Evidence being provided is met with this? Not good.
    that's what happens when someone posts made up nonsense and negativity all the time without bothering to even read up on the subject they are trashing first.

Adrian has just been posting loads of positivity about EVs over the last couple of days. Just they've been about PSA EVs, so it doesn't suit your argument.
  • Martyn1981
    So they're estimating 20,000km of mostly low-traffic single-lane road, at Eur1m/km. I make that Eur20bn, unless it's Eur1m per lane (which I suspect it is), so Eur2m/km to do both directions of that road.

The UK has 25,000km of mostly high-traffic multi-lane road, just within the trunk route network. Let's assume an average of 2.5 lane per direction. So that's Eur62.5-125bn. The Highways Agency's total budget was a bit under £2bn in 2014-15. OK, that's only for England, but...

But that isn't the entire infrastructural cost, is it? If only part of the road network is electrified, then the demand is greater, because the cars will be recharging instead of simply running on the supplied current. That Eur1m/km doesn't include the distribution and generation cost. And as for the monetisation of it...?

Tell them they are wrong, not me (but read the article first), all I asked you to answer was:
    Anyways, back to you supplying proof of the grand statements that you've made, and for which I've asked many times now:-

1. Proof that the Tesla semi's at the launch event where not mules, just stage-locked vehicles barely capable of moving themselves.

2. Proof that the trucks now being load tested by Tesla are new mules, as you stated, knocked together after the launch.

3. Proof that most UK loads are near to max weight, or shall we say, within 2t of max.

I'm assuming this information is at your finger tips, after all, Shirley you wouldn't make those 'statements of fact' falsely?

• Martyn1981
    edited 13 April 2018 at 3:42PM
    almillar wrote: »
    Ah yes. It does. Point being, if you look beyond the badge and under the metal, theres loads of 'Chinese' in our cars, even our Peugeots, already. I think we would agree that Peugeot are a bit late complaining about a 'Chinese invasion'.

I know, I know, but you just need to be careful not to wash over Tesla's failings. They ARE behind on Model 3 production. They HAVE had issues. They ARE improving on it. You'll sound like a fanboi if you only ever say positives and ignore the negatives.

And again, my point is even just that simple rebadging job, plus the electric van (what's Peugeot's Berlingo) plus the list AdrianC gave you, shows that, in my opinion, they're actually ahead of a lot of the old school. Behind Renault? Sure. Behind BYD? Sure. But amongst the mainstream car manufacturers, they haven't been too bad in terms of electrification. I think you're very much downplaying them having an electric car on the road in 2010. Very few manufacturers can say that, by whatever means.

Those 2 statements aren't mutually exclusive. This is why you argue so much! I argued with 'not big supporters', your statement, not the contents of an article. Peugeot would argue that Europe led them down the diesel path with taxation and regulations, and I can see that argument.

Evidence being provided is met with this? Not good.

Adrian has just been posting loads of positivity about EVs over the last couple of days. Just they've been about PSA EVs, so it doesn't suit your argument.

Still flogging this dead horse, god you love arguing don't you.

My comment matched the article and the host of additional articles I provided you with.

Your counter was to mention the same Mitsu three times!

If you are right that PSA are massive supporters of EV's, then they have nothing to worry about do they?

But if it's OK with you, I'll continue to agree that they have not supported EV's enough (like most of the old school), and now are complaining, when it's their own fault.
    I'll note here that these plans are nothing new, and that auto manufacturers have had a long time now to make changes so as to remain in compliance. They haven't done so for two main reasons: moving towards plug-in electric vehicles would lower their profit margins significantly; and the assumption of many was that fraudulent diesel car emission figures would partially help in meeting the goals.

If the article is wrong, then tell em. Adrian has already claimed that the journo's are wrong. But you won't change my opinion on this matter, I agree with the article.

Edit - Even better idea - join disqus and tell all of the commentators that they are all wrong too (most of them are big supporters of RE and EV's). Here are some good comments:
    So let me get this straight: in the former decade, no action on GHG emissions could be implemented because China was doing too little; now no action on GHG emissions can be implemented because China is doing too much.
    Our Chinese brethren did not have exclusive god given rights to develop EVs. Mr Tavares and company in the European car industry choose to exclude themselves from this endeavour, now they are going to have to pay for such arrogance.
    Life is a !!!!! and then you die!
    The carmakers that don't offer enough EVs will be brought to their knees by the buying public, when they stop buying their ICE vehicles.

That threat is far larger than the small fines the EU will leverage against them.
    The national champion carmaker in France isn't PSA but Renault, which is leading the EV charge. PSA are feeling a cold draft and beginning to panic.
    How many times have we heard BS such as those from auto execs? I've already lost my counting.
    "Tavares went on to state that a major Europe-based auto manufacturer could be brought "to its knees" by such an approach, and as such it was dangerous." "

Indeed, being late to the EV party will prove existentially dangerous to many existing ICE manufacturers.

But that is no excuse. Tavares can stick his fear-mongering where the sun don't shine.

All the best.

• Martyn1981
    edited 13 April 2018 at 3:43PM
    almillar wrote: »

There is no argument, I simply posted an article and said I agree with it. You mistakenly jumped in confusing re-badged cars with EV support, and now can't find a way out, so keep on flogging away.

You could just agree to disagree on PSA and move on .... I've tried repeatedly with other news and articles, though Adrian is now going on and on and on and on with mistake and false claim after mistake and false claim about that too because he didn't read it first, and has made more false assumptions - waste of time perhaps?

Calm down, move on, please!

PS - Take a joke about the fanbois thing, after all I've found this long argument nothing but a complete joke fabricated around a deliberate attempt to make 'haven't supported the EV idea' into something it isn't. If you can't see how ludicrous the discussion is, then you've had a sense of humour failure.

• Martyn1981
    Some excellent EV news for our European siblings in this weeks Carbon Commentary newsletter:

Very, and I mean very, cheap charging potential for Spanish EV owners:-
    1, Spain vehicle charging. Utility Iberderola said it would install 25,000 chargers, mostly in homes, by 2021. Customers can buy electricity from them at 3 € cents per kilowatt hour for 01.00-7.00 am charging, about one fifth of the average European domestic power price. The company says that this implies a cost of €0.50 for 100 km driving, about one tenth of the price of petrol for a similar distance. Iberderola also announced a partnership with a large petrol retailer to put rapid (50 kW) chargers on its forecourts. 50 kW provides enough electricity in just over 20 minutes to drive 100 km.

and an interestingly well coordinated approach to EV's, RE and grid storage from Renault (who are supporters of EV's):-
    7, Vehicle to grid. Renault said it was launching a trial of ‘vehicle to grid’ electricity on the Portuguese island of Porto Santo, close to Madeira, later this year. Porto Santo is small, with a population of only 5,000 spread over 40 square kilometers, but this experiment is intended to show the viability of building 100% renewable islands, using vehicle batteries as the main storage medium. 1,000 cars would provide about 10 hours of typical Porto Santo electricity consumption if used continuously. ‘Second life’ batteries from local cars will also be deployed at the island’s wind and solar farms.

It's great to see that the potential of EV's as a form of balancing and storage for variable RE generation is being taken seriously already.

• Martyn1981
    This article pretty much says what we've been saying on this thread, that the current grids can cope with EV's, and even the current generating capacity can cope, so long as charging is done when demand is traditionally low.

Use Europe’s Electricity Underuse To Promote Electric Cars

Some extracts:
    Electricity distribution networks in Europe run at well below their full potential, finds a new study from the Regulatory Assistance Project (RAP). The findings show that the unused network capacity could be utilized for charging electric vehicles with little or no need for additional capacity. Smart pricing and smart grid technologies will be the keys.
    The good news is that EVs are a flexible load that can be charged at any hour when the vehicle is not in use. Shifting EV charging to periods when existing resources are readily available would keep incremental investment in infrastructure to a minimum. All consumers, not just those with EVs, would benefit from spreading the costs of existing infrastructure over more load and minimizing risky new investment.
    The results suggest that these systems are operating at 50-70% of their potential. To place this in perspective, all current light-duty vehicles could be electrified with little or no need for additional network capacity.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback