Ulster/RBS Bank problems

Comments

• spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    I called the ESA earlier to find out now much I was due on Sat/Monday gone only to be told they haven't issued a payment as yet!
    So I can either go to the local DSS office or she'll issue a payment to my account,I chose the latter as I've already had some money on the strength of the payment I should have had on Sat/Monday!
    I wonder how many others are awaiting a payment that hasn't been made on the basis of this fubar?!
    Anyway,it's got me thinking that the ESA payments were returned as last Tuesday when I phoned them to see if the payment was going in OK due to it not being made the week before,I was told it was.
    Thing is now that the DD's I had going out of my account on Monday will bounce so I'll be liable for any charges because the ESA wasn't paid & if they pay it into my bank today,it'll reflect that.
    It's got me wondering (Call me Fox Mulder) weather this is a ploy/plan/scam by RBS to avoid compensation payments for debits..
  • D.A.
    D.A. Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    NAR wrote: »
    I think the problem here is they do not have sufficient staff here to do the catch up work. Ulster Bank have been extremely quiet on how they are tackling the backlog. :mad:

Ulster Bank are currently going through a downsizing program, paying off hundreds of their most experienced staff with redundancy packages.

The work will be done by exactly the same people who handled the RBS/Natwest problem, since they use exactly the same backend systems. There'll be very little Ulster Bank IT involvement.
  • damianmcr
    damianmcr Posts: 157 Forumite
    Spike, ESA will not have released your payment yet as its not due until Monday. Its nothing to do with them messing up. Tho I know they are highly unreliable.

I work in Income Support and all our payments are being issued as normal and customers unfortunately have to contact the Ulster Bank if the money isnt there.

Theres no scam at all going on within the SSA and RBS.
  • spike7451
    damianmcr wrote: »
    Spike, ESA will not have released your payment yet as its not due until Monday. Its nothing to do with them messing up. Tho I know they are highly unreliable.

I work in Income Support and all our payments are being issued as normal and customers unfortunately have to contact the Ulster Bank if the money isnt there.

Theres no scam at all going on within the SSA and RBS.

It was due Monday gone (the 25th) NOT next Monday.I was told last Tuesday that it was scheduled to be issued on Wednesday last (20th),so it's overdue. (I normally receive it on the Saturday tho)
    This is the second payment in a row that they have not paid,the last one was due 11th & when I phoned up then to find out where it was,I was also told it hadn't been paid,so they did a fast transfer into my account for that day.
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    D.A. wrote: »
    The work will be done by exactly the same people who handled the RBS/Natwest problem, since they use exactly the same backend systems. There'll be very little Ulster Bank IT involvement.
    So you are inferring that Ulster Bank customers have been discriminated against? What other conclusion can be drawn from the fact that Ulster Bank transactions are going to be fixed a week later than the RBS/NATWEST ones.
  • marathonic
    marathonic Posts: 1,778 Forumite
    So you are inferring that Ulster Bank customers have been discriminated against? What other conclusion can be drawn from the fact that Ulster Bank transactions are going to be fixed a week later than the RBS/NATWEST ones.

I work in Mainframe systems for a different company. I'd imagine there is one system (very unlikely to be two systems and both to go down at the same time).

When the issue was fixed, they'd have to run it for Natwest, RBS and Ulster Bank separately. Obviously, they chose ulsterbank as the last one to run.
  • Indo77
    Indo77 Posts: 181 Forumite
    "You pay peanuts, you get monkeys" sums this situation extremely well. Experienced UK IT experts get paid off and RBS in their wisdom think they will save money by outsourcing it to India. This must be the biggest "own goal" by a UK bank in their history.

A bank that was already incurring massive losses, could this be the end of RBS? Certainly could be the end of Ulster Bank, start shopping around folks!

This is not just widespread in RBS and the banking sector but in particular the public sector. There is this general belief among senior managers that to save money they need to outsource IT services since it seems to cost only a fraction of what they pay inhouse staff. The same managers only think of the short term gains and of course it will appear another notch on their CVs which will mean they move up the ladder.

Unfortunately the long-term reality is very different. You have the same old legacy IT system but you have sacked/retired the very people who built this system and understood it. Instead of creating a new system the outsourced company simply takes on responsibility of the legacy system. System crashes and suddenly the outsourced company doesn't know what to do - but surely someone must? Yes - but that someone the company got rid of some years back.

By this stage the senior managers who made these decisions have now moved on to bigger prospects or have happily retired. So how much money has outsourcing saved the company when confidence is now nil...
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    marathonic wrote: »
    I work in Mainframe systems for a different company. I'd imagine there is one system (very unlikely to be two systems and both to go down at the same time).
    When the issue was fixed, they'd have to run it for Natwest, RBS and Ulster Bank separately. Obviously, they chose ulsterbank as the last one to run.
    After the "fix" daily transaction files would have to be run. Questions need to be asked as to why Ulster Bank transaction files were not run in sequence with the other two banks ones. So instead of ABC, ABC, ABC, they did AB,AB,AB, and C(Ulster Bank) were all left to the last.
    My account has only been updated to 20th June this morning, so goodness knows how long it will take my salary (paid today) to be updated to the "live."
  • spike7451
    Phoned up ESA today & they're making an emergency payment into my bank today,couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me why it wasn't made,but it'll be interesting to see how long it takes,as the one the other week took 2 hours to clear into my account..
  • BigAl94
    BigAl94 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    After the "fix" daily transaction files would have to be run. Questions need to be asked as to why Ulster Bank transaction files were not run in sequence with the other two banks ones. So instead of ABC, ABC, ABC, they did AB,AB,AB, and C(Ulster Bank) were all left to the last.
    My account has only been updated to 20th June this morning, so goodness knows how long it will take my salary (paid today) to be updated to the "live."

The reason is clear - Ulster Bank is a thorn in the side of RBS, they want rid of it but no one wants it so they don't care. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18378580
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure