In the nick of time

Comments

• Change of plan... well only a little.....

Boxing day we were asked by a young friend (more so of friends) if he could move in with us. He knows our basement in vacant, pending work, however he is an apprentice builder and feels he could complete some of the jobs. He's been to see our rooms today and wants to move in next week :D

job 1) new vinyl flooring for small shower room. Offcut will do, seen some in a local shop to check out.

job 2) new vinyl flooring for kitchen area, again cheap offcut

Job 3) Carpet for bedroom area. My husband used too be in flooring business. He can get one at cost price from a guy he knows. its very small. or we could just ask at shop mentioned above.

Job 4) plaster where the wall was destroyed by condensation. Make do polyfill@ looks a kip!!

Job 5) buy a small fridge freezer to fit under a stairwell

Job 6) buy a small cooker. possibly table top. As a young man I'm sure he'll want to cook a pizza now and again. He can use our kitchen in the event of a gourmet meal requirement (HAHAHA)

Job 7) swap doors from internal cupboard to shower room

Job 8) sink unit casing has blown in places. will need new eventually.

Job 9) redecorate

Job 10) recover sofa and chair.

I'm hoping to get all this for under £400. Even less if possible (aiming for £300 really). The big job for me will be getting the motivation to recover the sofa. I won't work extras this weekend as this is an investment for our new lodger. I'll get the cloth on Wednesday. We did try to dye the covers but our previous lodger left them in an awful state, that dying didn't cover the stains. urghhhh

4, 7, 8 & 9 he can do :D

The upshot of spending this will be £80 per week!!!! YAAAY
    This WILL be going into mortgage overpayments.
    The Airbnb money will go to the credit card (We've had 2 this week)

I will still be able to overpay from our salary's however this months bigger OP will be delayed to fund above.
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 6 January 2016 at 10:59PM
    Our Airbnb room is £30 per night, private ensuite rooms with fantastic views, large room, TV, fridge, WiFi, toaster, kettle, microwave. We leave bottled water, bread, butter, decent biscuits, Tea, coffee, milk, cappuccino. Feedback was could they have jam also!! :P

Young man lodger (23) is moving in in 2 days :D

He has told me a while ago in his very younger days he was a little s*d, our friends gave him a job and had belief in him and he is motivated by the kindness and support he received to improve his future. Well long may that continue. :) He brought his dad around to check the place out the other day ( they were thrilled). hope they like the changes even more :)

So I've spent a packet :/

New flooring for kitchen area and shower room £70. OH has laid this. He has also got out the sugar soap to scrub everywhere. :D

Bargainous cloth for me to recover grotty sofa covers previous lodger ruined (cushions underneath are good) £4.99 per metre then 30% off. 12 metres £40. I wont achieve this by Friday but maybe I'll get a chair covered before work tomorrow as I cut the cloth before work today.

New half and half fridge freezer for under the counter £119 from curry's. I bought 2nd hand last time and the previous lodger left everything such a mess I couldn't do it again.
    Keeping the old carpet given it a good hoover and the laminate floor will do fine. We do have carpet we got a while ago for our stairs and landing that will do his stairs and hall area.

Will need paint at some point, there are 2 purple alcoves ???

It may sound a lot but it is only a studio flat really.

Can't wait until A) I get paid B) he pays his rent :)

Didn't I say my purse was closed a few short weeks ago? Don't have time to do overtime this week. I'm hoping to add a night shift onto my week next week to get it over with.

Oh yeah, I suppose we better tell the estate agent to take the house off the market x
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • Well young man moved in yesterday. He must have told me 10 times I wouldn't know he was there!! Hahaha , He was very nervous and it was kind of funny how he was telling me he would put a log burner in my basement ?? mmm

Still waiting fridge delivery, though it was booked for yesterday they are bringing it today (I hope).

Airbnb is an older gentleman :D He seemed happy with the room (except the stairs) He has a lady friend in the area. Maybe he'll come again :) . There is a high tide and the waves are huge against the promenade. He told me he is an old seafarer so I imagine (hoping) he's watching and enjoying the "show"

My OH pay day was slightly disappointing, only £700 for the 4 weeks as he had taken 2 nights off sick. Good job no council tax next month, mind you he's making them up the next 2 weeks working 5 nights a week.

My extra shifts worked in December were paid Friday too. Lovely surprise but now I'm confused about end of the month salary. I'm kind of watching and waiting really. Reading SJ's diary reminded me about daily interest. So this morning I rounded down our mortgage to the next hundred and paid £80. That's about a weeks worth of interest :D

OH had special offers on in supermarket this week. He asked what he should buy then doubled it!!! We now have 48 toilet rolls, and 4 new bath sheets and 4 hand towels. He told me they were turquoise blue. They look more like fisher price blue!! £12 for the towels and £9 for the loo rolls (andrex) . The towels won't go with any colour we have. So maybe I'll put one pair/set in Airbnb room and keep the other for university kit for our daughter.

Hopefully young mans rent won't take too long to appear. Then my OP's can start to make a bigger difference
  • forgot to add spent last few days covering the 6 cushions for the sofa and chair. Loads of left over fabric. shame I bought the cheapest rather than the nicest!!

Airbnb man want to come again, "How much for a month?"
    Then said "can we have marmalade in the room?"

So consensus of opinion is buy jam and marmalade also ...

Today we deserve a rest day , however our granddaughter is visiting and will no doubt run us ragged. She is also staying the night so sleep will be missing tonight .
  • Daughter with toddler has bought a basset hound puppy. We now have our granddaughter, our schnoodle dog, and an 8 week old puppy running around. The basset hound is the worse ankle biter!!

Thankfully hubby snoozing on the couch and our 18 yr old is being a superstar and keeping all 3 of them entertained with her friend.

I logged onto my NW CC account. It seemed I over paid last month... I did say I couldn't keep up!! well it was to be paid off except for my friends concert tickets (that she's paying for)... I was a £110 pound over... I knew there balances confused me...

Anyhow I've added another £100 to the OP's to make it £280 OP for January. I would like to add another £50 to that but I'm holding out for either rent or just to see how it goes :D
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Wow you've had a busy Christmas and new year. All good plans for chipping away at those balances. As you mention daily interest reductions start to look significant.

My mini schnauzer is my only peace at times, and when I was off at Christmas I walked his legs an inch shorter.
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Thanks SJ, we live in a great place to walks dogs, mind you our little dog is a bit of a nuisance when he sees other dogs off the lead. He goes crackers :(

Not really got much going on this week. I start night shifts tomorrow for the first time in 6 years. I hope this job proves worth it :D Even added an extra night at the end do better money,,,, I think gets paid fortnightly in arrears. Payday is early again this month. They did that last year too, to ease the January burdens.

Child benefit will not be touched now until DD2 goes to uni. I'm assuming this will stop around June time. then I will need to add a bit more to her uni fund, for accommodation and initial costs. I did lock the rest in an ISA she can't get until November.

Need to study some more this week. Revision class today was fine. Exam next week I'm feeling a bit too calm about it. I'll probably panic on the day. I just need to revise :)
  • All has been quiet this week. I've been on my first set of nights for 6 years. Thankfully they have good and interesting, so I'm doing an extra one tonight :D . Well I booked it over a week ago so I wouldn't back out.

Just received our first weeks rent. £80 Yay. Now little catch is he was supposed to have a halogen cooker. Then his dad was getting him one. Now it seems I have to (? scratchy head smiley :/)

He has seen something in B&M for £45 apparently, so hubby getting him it on Monday. Hope it will keep him out of our kitchen.

I've topped up the change to £50 to OP. :)
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Ooh overtime and rent money. I hear a bonus OP and spreadsheet fiddle on the way!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Just pondering over our lifestyle changes in the last 6 years or so. Longer really in the saving money stakes.

There are the big, dramatic ones such as in jobs and income for both of us, plus one daughter independent (almost) with her own daughter and our other daughter planning to go to university later this year. It's the little things that really have helped our dramas and chaos such as,

My husband has changed almost beyond recognition in his homeliness. He's chief cook and bottle washer and become quite careful with watching his pennies (not so much mine ;);)) but he's at home supporting us all and making our days comfortable, then working 4-5 nights a week for a poop wage. He's fantastic with a shopping list :)

I have for many years compared our spends to my working life. " if I want x I will have to work a day, a week, a month....." OH now does this. mmm rows and breakages (once in a blue moon) when we were feisty.. I'd say "oh so I'll have to work XX to sort that won't I" hand on hips.

I rarely carry cash. I can go all week without spending, NSD's became the norm a long time ago.

I don't buy magazines,

I read online newspapers,

I always take packet lunches, So if I fancy a posh coffee every now and again I'll get one without guilt.

I used to have a hairdresser come every 5 weeks to cut and colour. £40. Now it's £5 for the colour as my older daughter does my hair (the last 3 months I've cut it myself :O) DD1 has been a hairdresser now for 5 years. But I have awful hair and want to grow it currently.

I bought some Walh clippers and cut my OH hair, £9.99 outlay now free.

We weekly shop at lidl but top up at Mr m , maximum £50 per week, for 3 (or 4 ) adults. I only buy things on offer and shop around more to get the best prices. Luckily we like more simple foods, well OH and DD2 does. I'm really happy for tuna pasta salad and rubber roast chicken. OH loves fish fingers or steak pie...

We walk to the supermarket or home and B to get our top ups. It's about a mile away so exercise and companionship.

I don't really batch cook. But I freeze meal size leftovers for me to take to work.

we write shopping lists

I tend to walk to mothers too, that's a mile each way.

Last year I stopped using my car for work and now use public transport. This at the time was saving us over £200 per month. I used to work 4 or 6 extra shifts pcm. By putting an extra 45 mins per day, I gain exercise in the 1 mile hike from the bus stop, and I only work 2 extra shifts now. I am getting weekend enhancements again after my job change.

We go to the pub about once a month. We used to go every weekend. my husband most days, mmm the bad old days. We stay in lots. 4 cans of cider twice a week at 1.99 and home brew wine for me. I needn't wonder why our mortgage is so high when he was in the pub by 3pm. But stress response hey??

Last year I spent £350 on clothes for myself. The last £100 was a leaving gift from my last job and I bought a jacket, and some fat tops. Home made wine is much more fattening than shop bought (Hahahaha). I spent probably less that half that on OH.

We have still had some lovely holidays. My OT has always been pretty constant. But 5 days in Rome not 7. Staying just out of centre but close to walk. Or Croatia, cheap flights fab room and hotel as we knew DD2 would stay in the room. Love camping and it's simplicity.

I don't buy hand bags anymore (my posh ones rarely get used ...LV PR Gu )

But I do have Sky (full package) I love....
    a huge mortgage
    an safety net EF which is better than nothing of £1800
    lovely girls hard working in different ways.
    A Slave (OH) Ok... a supportive husband
    a shiney new job which I really enjoying and can only get better
    My iPhone

Oh and our new lodger may just need a few ground rules laying down.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback