How to get a tax rebate inc Tax Code Checker

Comments

• Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    magura2002 wrote: »
    How do I check this is correct

Any advice?

Look at the P2 Coding Notice - you will have received from HMRC. And check the company car deduction on that back to the P11D you will have from your employer.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The tax code checker incorrectly says that :
    "Based on ONLY the salary and age you've input,
    your personal allowance would be - £9640"

At age 81 the above is the over 75 personal allowance, but the checker is failing to take into account that this allowance reduces based on the total income and is reduced by £1 for every £2 of income above the £22900 limit.

(Note, I entered a code of 287T for 2010-11 for age over 75 and an income of £28900)

Also at this age, the tax code checker should mention that the tax payer should receive a state pension which also effects the tax code.

Also at this age, the tax code checker should mention possible receipt of Married Couples Allowance, which is effected by the income limit too.

In reality, my tax code is correct, but the tax code checker misleads the 75 and over tax payers that their allowance should be approx £9640
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    The aim is the tool to flag a problem.

Which is fine. But, in the majority of cases listed thus far, there is no problem. The checker is listing a disparity to the basic code of 647 ..... and users are not relating that to the fact they've claimed a small allowance for eg uniform laundering / subscriptions.

If they can't remember their Code is different to the norm because of something they've claimed ...... at least they should check back to the P2 (Coding Notice). Which, since 03/04, is now 'personalised' and (fairly) clearly sets out the departures from the basic.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Just a reminder - the checker didn't work out for me and suggested I had underpaid tax,as it didn't take into account the fact that your personal tax allowance is increased if you give via gift aid. Maybe worth adding this to the caveats on the tool itself? Thanks.
  • SapKnight
    SapKnight Posts: 86 Forumite
    edited 10 November 2010 at 12:03PM
    Hi,

I just ran mine for year 2009/2010. And I'm a little bit confused as to whether I have over paid or under paid.

My tax code is 603L - Salaray was £24646 for that year.

this is what it says:
    The tax code you've input says your tax-free allowance was... £6030 - £6039 Based on ONLY the salary and age you've input,
    your personal allowance would have been
    (read more) £6475 There's a difference of £445 between the tax free allowance suggested by age & salary, and the one from your tax code. Unless you have any other income, or deductions (see below), it appears your tax code could be incorrect.
    So does that mean they roughly owe me £445?
    I've got to do two previous years to 2009/10 and also got to do this years too, but my salary hasn't changed very much over these years at all.

PLEASE someone help me, I dont want to have to pay them back anything and this whole subject to me is so confusing!

oh and just to add, i dont get any company benefits etc etc
    Saph
    xx
  • I'm confused. I may be being thick (has been known) but using the checker has just made me more confused rather than less. There is a 'difference' of £75 each year for the past 3/4 years but I still don't get what this means. Do I owe them or do they owe me or does noone owe anybody? I know a pp mentioned it earlier but I don't understand the answer.

Also, does tax free childcare vouchers affect the result?

I personally didn't find this tool helpful as I just didn't understand the 'result'. I so wanted to but didn't.
  • Former_MSE_Dan
    Former_MSE_Dan Posts: 1,593 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 November 2010 at 12:09PM
    BAA1 wrote: »
    The tax code checker incorrectly says that :
    "Based on ONLY the salary and age you've input,
    your personal allowance would be - £9640"

At age 81 the above is the over 75 personal allowance, but the checker is failing to take into account that this allowance reduces based on the total income and is reduced by £1 for every £2 of income above the £22900 limit.

(Note, I entered a code of 287T for 2010-11 for age over 75 and an income of £28900)

Also at this age, the tax code checker should mention that the tax payer should receive a state pension which also effects the tax code.

Also at this age, the tax code checker should mention possible receipt of Married Couples Allowance, which is effected by the income limit too.

In reality, my tax code is correct, but the tax code checker misleads the 75 and over tax payers that their allowance should be approx £9640

Hi, this is down to a glitch that we are currently fixing - thanks for flagging them up

Edit - should now be fixed. SapKnight, I have asked you a further question below

Ta
    Former MSE team member
  • MSE_Dan wrote: »
    Hi folks, these are both down to a glitch that we are currently fixing - thanks for flagging them up

Ta

OK thanks, can you let us know in here when you have fixed it?
    I was starting to spend that £400 x 3(for the last 3years) in my head lol - dont get my hopes up like that again :rotfl:
    Saph
    xx
  • SapKnight wrote: »
    Hi,

I just ran mine for year 2009/2010. And I'm a little bit confused as to whether I have over paid or under paid.

My tax code is 603L - Salaray was £24646 for that year.

this is what it says:
    The tax code you've input says your tax-free allowance was... £6030 - £6039 Based on ONLY the salary and age you've input,
    your personal allowance would have been
    (read more) £6475 There's a difference of £445 between the tax free allowance suggested by age & salary, and the one from your tax code. Unless you have any other income, or deductions (see below), it appears your tax code could be incorrect.
    So does that mean they roughly owe me £445?
    I've got to do two previous years to 2009/10 and also got to do this years too, but my salary hasn't changed very much over these years at all.

PLEASE someone help me, I dont want to have to pay them back anything and this whole subject to me is so confusing!

Hi, are you sure that the 603L tax code wasnt for the 2008/9 tax year - as then it would match the personal allowance of that year £6035

If the info you've put here is correct, they could possibly owe you 20% of £445 (£89), so worth speaking to them.
    Former MSE team member
  • MSE_Dan wrote: »
    Hi, are you sure that the 603L tax code wasnt for the 2008/9 tax year - as then it would match the personal allowance of that year £6035

If the info you've put here is correct, they could possibly owe you 20% of £445 (£89), so worth speaking to them.

Yes I think you are right! whoops. I was rushing about sorry :rotfl:
    I'll check my other years at home later on.

thanks anyway
    Saph
    xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family