Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • top_drawer
    • By top_drawer 18th Oct 09, 2:07 PM
    • 2,460Posts
    • 3,825Thanks
    top_drawer
    The London Mint Office - scam?
    • 18th Oct 09, 2:07 PM
    The London Mint Office - scam? 18th Oct 09 at 2:07 PM
    hi,

I have been seeing the ads on television a lot recently for a free Golden Britannia penny so rang and applied .... I received a letter stating that my appl has been assepted and its on it way.... where is the catch?

TD
Page 4
  • ChopperDeemus
    I too have been conned into this thanks to a Groupon offer, I had sent to me a coin charging me over 300 I have rang them informing I would like to return it using the 14 day no quibble option but with 3 days left I still haven't been given a returns label

I recorded the time, date and name of the person I spoke to at London mint who said would send the returns label out to me

Does this mean even if it goes over the 14 day period because I have asked to send it back im covered? and can I just send the coin back to this address recorded and signed?

Please somebody help with this as it's starting to cause sleepless nights

Thank you
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 19th May 15, 10:08 PM
    • 18,660 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    I too have been conned into this thanks to a Groupon offer, I had sent to me a coin charging me over 300 I have rang them informing I would like to return it using the 14 day no quibble option but with 3 days left I still haven't been given a returns label

I recorded the time, date and name of the person I spoke to at London mint who said would send the returns label out to me

Does this mean even if it goes over the 14 day period because I have asked to send it back im covered? and can I just send the coin back to this address recorded and signed?

Please somebody help with this as it's starting to cause sleepless nights

Thank you
    Originally posted by ChopperDeemus
    I would be using a fully tracked service, like Royal Mail Special Delivery, for a package of this value.

Are you not continually chasing them for a returns label?
  • ChopperDeemus
    I'm prepared to pay postage costs to securely get it delivered back to the address it needs to, especially if it can be sent to the address a few posts back

I was caught off guard... It arrived on the morning I had a week holiday abroad, at first I "presumed" royal mint, also asked a family member to return it on my behalf but when realising its london mint the company wouldn't disclose no information as they were told they would only speak directly to the account holder( I didn't set up an account, unless it automatically activated from the groupon voucher coin)

So after my 7day holiday and Saturday and Sunday this gives me 4 days left

If I send it to :

The London Mint Office
    Harmsworth House
    13-15 Bouverie Street
    London
    EC4Y 8DP

Along with the original invoice first class recorded special delivery tomorrow morning, will this be the end of it as long as I keep my receipt of postage?

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by ChopperDeemus; 19-05-2015 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Added extra
    • Uplink
    • By Uplink 20th May 15, 11:13 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Uplink
    I didn't order my 'free' medal, but reading the forums I assume I shouldn't anyway.

Their Terms and Conditions say this:

6.1 Legal and beneficial title to the goods shall remain with the Company until such time as the Company has received payment of the purchase price of any other goods or services previously or subsequently supplied by the company to the customer whereupon such title shall pass to the customer.
    That paragraph is a very sneaky and underhand way of saying "we'll send you stuff and ask for payment" (see the word "subsequently"), which is exactly what the ruling addresses, but then you've already agreed to pay any amounts requested (and be subject to interest) when you ticked the box, so you can't treat the extra stuff as "unconditional gift".

9. Payment is due and is required on receipt of invoiced goods, or on or before the due date specified on the invoice irrespective of the 14 day returns period.
    Invoiced goods. There's no requirement for you to place any orders. After you accept these terms in order to get your 'free' piece of round metal they can send you "invoiced goods" whenever they feel like it. And the deadline might be before the end of the cooling of period.

Any lawyer out there willing to reconcile these paragraphs with the idea of "unconditional gift" and "illegal demand for payment" that is mentioned on page 1?

I have read the ASA assessment linked on page 1 of this thread and the situation is not the same because paragraph 6.1, quoted above, pretty much authorises them to send you stuff "out of the blue" and you agree, in paragraph 9, to pay what they ask, irrespective of the 14 day returns period (and expect/pray for a refund should you return the item within the 14 days), including any penalties or interest if you fail to do so.
  • AJP206
    Hi All,

The London Mint Office have driven me insane the past couple months with their unsolicited products and aggressive selling. We cannot let them get away with this. Please join me in complaining to the following below:

Financial Ombudsman Complaint
    Citizens advice bureau emailed
    Watchdog emailed
    Also Complained to BBC News

I wrote emails to all the above in the past 30 mins, I just wrote one letter and copied and pasted the story for each of the above.

A company like the London Mint Office should not exist in this day and age, they prey on the elderly and their practices are atrocious. We must all complain to bring them to an end together, please people complain to all the above as the London Mint Office will not respond to your emails and will get debt agencies to chase up payments for products you never ordered or have sent back.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 30th Jun 15, 6:56 PM
    • 13,554 Posts
    • 18,830 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    London_Mint, you need to email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com to ask for permission to post on behalf of a company: this is for your protection and ours.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 30th Jun 15, 8:21 PM
    • 10,966 Posts
    • 12,416 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    London_Mint, you need to email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com to ask for permission to post on behalf of a company
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet

I think that they have asked for permission, it's just that they haven't yet received that permission because under their user name it states:
    "Awaiting Authorisation
    MoneySaving Newbie"
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 30th Jun 15, 8:46 PM
    • 3,758 Posts
    • 2,760 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    I think that they have asked for permission, it's just that they haven't yet received that permission because under their user name it states:
    "Awaiting Authorisation
    MoneySaving Newbie"
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    Or part of the new measures to deal with spam?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=68692903&postcount=26
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 1st Jul 15, 6:22 AM
    • 13,554 Posts
    • 18,830 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    "Awaiting Authorisation
    MoneySaving Newbie"
    I must admit I didn't see that last night.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 1st Jul 15, 10:18 AM
    • 15,351 Posts
    • 13,909 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    Originally posted by SnowTiger
    They don't seem to be working, given the dozens of spam threads created this morning.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • virgonick
    Advice please re London Mint
    Like a few of you it seems that I have failed to research before ordering from London Mint.I ordered a Waterloo campaign medal.It has not arrived.I have been invoiced for the goods.I have a string of emails from them promising delivery within certain dates none of which have been honoured.I have asked them today to confirm details of how it was despatched by whom and when so that I can commence a tracking complaint from Royal Mail or whomsoever they use for postage.
    Any advice on how to proceed?I have attempted to speak to people by telephone but each number - there are 4 on the invoice- is permanently unavailable.
    This is all a bit unsettling from what I am reading of this company.Nick.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 2nd Jul 15, 1:46 PM
    • 18,660 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    "Awaiting Authorisation
    MoneySaving Newbie"
    Looks like the authorisation wasn't forthcoming.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 2nd Jul 15, 1:50 PM
    • 18,660 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Like a few of you it seems that I have failed to research before ordering from London Mint.I ordered a Waterloo campaign medal.It has not arrived.I have been invoiced for the goods.I have a string of emails from them promising delivery within certain dates none of which have been honoured.I have asked them today to confirm details of how it was despatched by whom and when so that I can commence a tracking complaint from Royal Mail or whomsoever they use for postage.
    Any advice on how to proceed?I have attempted to speak to people by telephone but each number - there are 4 on the invoice- is permanently unavailable.
    This is all a bit unsettling from what I am reading of this company.Nick.
    Originally posted by virgonick
    Hopefully you paid by card.

Cancel any subscription you may've set up with LM.
    Cancel any continuous payment authority you may've set up.
    Read MSE's chargeback article.
    Seek a chargeback from your card issuer.
  • virgonick
    Thanks for advice re London Mint
    What a great response.I'm truly grateful.And as if by magic I received a telephone call shortly after posting on here from someone purporting to be from London Mint - no number recorded when the call came in- who asked me for details that had already been supplied.Thankfully I have not paid anything and will be cancelling the order.
    Many thanks for your advice.Regards,Nick
  • irishsausage
    Sent to old address unsolicited
    I fell for this 6 months ago. I got the Waterloo campaign medal, received it and paid for it. All done or so I thought.

Now I moved house on the 14th of February. I have just this week received a forwarded letter (from my old address) from Sigma Red requesting payment of 101.30. I have no idea what this is for neither have I received anything from the London Mint.

Where do I stand legally. Am I responsible for the potentially lost items ( i imagine the new tenants have a nice new coin collection) or will this go away. I have rung Sigma Red and they had no idea I'd moved and will ring me back once they know.

Any help will be appreciated.
    • Adrian Garnham
    • By Adrian Garnham 10th Jul 16, 5:30 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Adrian Garnham
    I have fallen for this is as well i paid fort he coins i asked for and now i have received one i don't want and didn't ask for.
    What do i do now ????

any help appreciated
    • The-Truth
    • By The-Truth 10th Jul 16, 10:35 AM
    • 469 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    The-Truth
    .And as if by magic I received a telephone call shortly after posting on here
    Originally posted by virgonick
    You seem to have put that down to posting on here but I very much doubt that seeing they must get hundreds of orders and your post basically has nothing but very basic information!
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 10th Jul 16, 2:04 PM
    • 10,966 Posts
    • 12,416 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    You seem to have put that down to posting on here but I very much doubt that seeing they must get hundreds of orders and your post basically has nothing but very basic information!
    Originally posted by The-Truth

"basic information" that was posted over a year ago and the poster in question hasn't been active on MSE since that time so it's unlikely (although not impossible) that they won't see your response.
    • avallon
    • By avallon 12th Jun 17, 9:15 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    avallon
    The Scam is still going in 2017 ?
    Why can't this be stopped ? They are playing on vulnerable people and have just tricked my wife into buying into their obnoxious scam.
    • hybernia
    • By hybernia 12th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    hybernia
    If an old thread is to be resurrected from the grave, it would be good if there was a reason for doing so.

As to The London Mint, its activities have been widely covered on the Internet. This short piece by Tony Hetherington in 2014 says it all:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2799829/tony-hetherington-london-mint-coin-collection-worth-tenth-paid.html

Basically, coins from The London Mint are worthless or nearly so. They are not any kind of investment. Instead they are, as The London Mint so laughably says, an "illustration" (a copy) of what a particular coin may have looked like at a particular time. And in some cases, they are not even that. Just inventions by a private company.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,495Posts Today

7,362Users online

Martin's Twitter