Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • top_drawer
    • By top_drawer 18th Oct 09, 2:07 PM
    • 2,460Posts
    • 3,825Thanks
    top_drawer
    The London Mint Office - scam?
    • 18th Oct 09, 2:07 PM
    The London Mint Office - scam? 18th Oct 09 at 2:07 PM
    hi,

I have been seeing the ads on television a lot recently for a free Golden Britannia penny so rang and applied .... I received a letter stating that my appl has been assepted and its on it way.... where is the catch?

TD
Page 2
  • moneybagsuk
    Looks like a scam, smells like a scam, walks like a scam ....
  • abbaeyes
    Saty away from london mint
    Please stay away from the London Mint, I am talking through experience.
    I sent off for the free penny in 2008-2009, canít remember exactly, and then I kept receiving coins which I never wanted or requested. I wrote and phoned them to explain and requested they took my name off their database, I was assured they would, (luckily I kept all correspondence) and then on Friday 26.11.10 I received a 50p coin out of the blue.
    I phoned them again and they came up with some lies that it was a database glitch???!!!!????
    Does anyone know who I could report them to, or is it worth going to trading standards???
    thanks
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 29th Nov 10, 7:29 AM
    • 35,260 Posts
    • 41,310 Thanks
    Browntoa
    I'd write to them registered post stating that you have previously informed them that you are to be removed from their database and that under DSR (Distance selling Regs) you are treating the item as "unsolicited goods" and that they can , at their expense, recover the goods if they so wish

You may advise the sender in writing that you don't want the goods and say where they can be collected. However, a consumer is under no obligation to do so. Under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000, it is a criminal offence to demand payment for unsolicited goods from a consumer. Any goods delivered can be kept, for free, by the consumer.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • abbaeyes
    thanks for that info, I have drafted a letter to them and will quote the DSR regulations.
    Here's hoping I will never hear from them again.
    • anewman
    • By anewman 29th Nov 10, 10:42 AM
    • 8,785 Posts
    • 6,259 Thanks
    anewman
    Send it recorded delivery, once it has been delivered just leave them to it and let them send the court summons IMO (which they probably won't do).
  • Dawnrazor
    The scam is paying £29.95 for a penny.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 14th Aug 11, 9:04 PM
    • 6,074 Posts
    • 28,619 Thanks
    Slinky
    The scam is paying £29.95 for a penny.
    Originally posted by Dawnrazor
    Why drag this up? This thread is years old
    • Spartacus_Mills
    • By Spartacus_Mills 30th Sep 11, 4:06 PM
    • 5,124 Posts
    • 8,946 Thanks
    Spartacus_Mills
    Why drag this up? This thread is years old
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Good point, well made.
    "There's no such thing as Macra. Macra do not exist."
    "I could play all day in my Green Cathedral".
    "The Centuries that divide me shall be undone."
    "A dream? Really, Doctor. You'll be consulting the entrails of a sheep next. "
  • madnumismatist
    Southpark: Cash For Gold- Season 16, episode 2
    I am new to all this forum stuff, so I hope I am not breaking the etiquette anywhere, but I watched the latest Southpark, episode 2 series 16, and the next day saw an advertisement. The two events made me create a post which I copied below purely for entertainment purposes:

I caught episode 2, season 3, of Southpark and as the hipsters say these days ROFLMAO.

I really should not say that because, the episode covered something, as they often do, that is deeply disturbing.

Corporations preying on the less informed, elderly, and let's just those: "one brick short of a full load."

As the episode is described by Comedy Central:

"Cartman launches a gemstones network show and creates a very lucrative business. Stan searches for the real value of a piece of jewelry that was a gift from his Grandpa. Meanwhile, Cartmans lucrative new business preys upon an extremely vulnerable clientele."

Basically, a member of the cast receives a gift of jewellery from his grandfather. His grandfather had bought the item as an investment; an heirloom, after watching the television. He had paid "only" $6,000, because the guy on TV said it was worth "a billion" but "discounted for the next lucky caller".

Made of 14K gold, with semi precious gems embedded, and being a little garish, Stan decided to get the cash back using the local "Cashforgold" set up.

The first shop offered $10, the second about $15, even the local laundrywoman offered $20.

Outraged that his grandfather had spent $6,000 and he had received $10 back, young Stan seeks a reckoning.

First he assails the gold buyers, and then the gold sellers, then the gold producers, eventually arriving at an Asian sweatshop where young children manufacture the items.

As the program pithily ends, a flow model of overpriced jewellery melted into bullion, shipped to Asia, made into jewellery and shipped back to America to be sold to home shopping viewers.

Fantastic.

The heartbreaking thing is that, for the most part, it is accurate.

One only has to look at the UK television ad's for dodgy looking coins and collectables to realize how the scam works. It should be noted that these companies are multinational, multimillion dollar corporations making huge profits from peoples fear.

Just today I saw a full page advertisement in a national news paper offering £2 worth of pocket change for only £20 per month; plus shipping.

Don't delay because their pocket change may run out.

During 2008 only 2 billion, 181 million coins were made. That means just three coins for every single man woman and child on the planet.

Hurry, hurry, step right up for the elixir of wealth, oh and you get a nice box; with a key too!

The sooner people realize, these dodgy rarities, the better off they will be.

Rare coins are not manufactured; RARE coins are freaks of monetary history. That is why they are rare.
  • 123jd
    Do not buy anything from london mint..they are a massive scam. sadly my dad passed away last year and we found coins that he had been collecting which are worth nothing but cost him thousands of pounds..they pray on the elderly who think that they are worth alot of money, they had my dads bank details & kept taking money off him..even when he died they was still sending coins but because we cancelled his bank they sent us invoices of payment, i rang them and told them they was not getting a penny..please please do not waste your money on these useless peices of crap..
    • KiKi
    • By KiKi 17th Apr 12, 11:43 AM
    • 5,027 Posts
    • 8,135 Thanks
    KiKi
    This thread is from 2009...
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 18th Apr 12, 7:43 AM
    • 9,719 Posts
    • 11,857 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    well, if they continue to take people's money it won't do any harm if the thread continues to pop up; hopefully someone will read it who otherwise wouldn't.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 14th Sep 12, 11:16 AM
    • 1,239 Posts
    • 3,569 Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    A BBC journalist is researching this scam, and is keen to speak to people who've been affected. If you'd like to speak to him, please private message me your name and contact number.

Thanks

Jenny
  • GeraldtheGiraffe
    Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has actually stood up to them, and their solicitors, debt collectors etc, and said forget it I'm not paying, take me to court if you want to. I'd love to know what stance they took and if they bothered to progress further.

If we start to learn together that they just threat and never follow up on it maybe more people will stand up to them, and far less people will feel that they "have" to pay...

Thanks
    Gerald
  • Littleqeed1
    The London Mint Office Scam
    I rang Consumer Direct on 0845 4040506 (the number was given to me by Citizens Advice) I spoke to Douglas, he took all my details, advised me what to do and said he was passing on my complaint to Trading Standards. Therefore, please phone Consumer Direct immediately.
  • gordonc888
    Is this company back again under the guise of Coronation Coin?

Just saw the advert on Sky News and I recognised the stench straight away.
  • iantoday
    I have just purchased from the London Mint and I am happy with the coin not as investment as I'm sure it's not worth a huge amount, but it's good quality and a very unusual size - 88mm diameter. I have purchased (at the introductory price of £100) because of what it represents - the disconnection of the U.S. dollar from the gold standard.

Having said that, with my payment I am clearly telling them not to send me any more coins without my expressed permission and to remove me from their databases in accordance with the Data Protection Act.

I'm glad I found this thread so as to anticipate further coins arriving which will be returned along with a legal threat as they have now already received my request for no coins or promotional information.
    Last edited by iantoday; 02-05-2013 at 3:29 PM.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 2nd May 13, 3:38 PM
    • 25,657 Posts
    • 105,062 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    I have just purchased from the London Mint and I am happy with the coin not as investment as I'm sure it's not worth a huge amount, but it's good quality and a very unusual size - 88mm diameter. I have purchased (at the introductory price of £100) because of what it represents - the disconnection of the U.S. dollar from the gold standard.

Having said that, with my payment I am clearly telling them not to send me any more coins without my expressed permission and to remove me from their databases in accordance with the Data Protection Act.

I'm glad I found this thread so as to anticipate further coins arriving which will be returned along with a legal threat as they have now already received my request for no coins or promotional information.
    Originally posted by iantoday

Slight tip for you - the coins aren't worth anything, so if you think you've got an investment or a bargain there, you're sadly, sorely mistaken.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 2nd May 13, 8:48 PM
    • 23,092 Posts
    • 60,819 Thanks
    meritaten
    I think there should be a sticky on the London Mint office - they seem to pop up all the time! they are still advertising their wares on tv! Thing is, they aren't actually doing anything illegal!
    its just that they charge inflated prices for coins which are worthless - and real collectors know that! Joe Public gets caught because the name sounds so much like the real Mint!
    • geoffky
    • By geoffky 2nd May 13, 10:48 PM
    • 6,600 Posts
    • 9,241 Thanks
    geoffky
    They just prey on people who should not be allowed near a laptop or telephone..For their own sakes.
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,969Posts Today

7,625Users online

Martin's Twitter