Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gloucesteroldspot
    • By gloucesteroldspot 6th Jan 09, 10:36 AM
    • 52Posts
    • 49Thanks
    gloucesteroldspot
    0 WOW
    Kumon maths and english for free
    • 6th Jan 09, 10:36 AM
    0 WOW
    Kumon maths and english for free 6th Jan 09 at 10:36 AM
    It appears that Kumon, the after school maths and English study programme, is again running free tasters for children between 21st January and 20th February 2009 . It means that you can try Kumon free for two weeks to see if it suits your child. It's based on the good old fashioned principle of practising everyday and working away at things until you get them right. It doesn't suit everybody, but it has certainly helped my daughter, so this is a good chance to see if it would work for yours without any financial commitment. Details are on the http://www.kumon.co.uk website or you can get a brochure by ringing 0800 854 714. There are centres all over the UK.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 06-01-2009 at 4:42 PM.
Page 1
  • mstee
    • 7th Jan 09, 7:58 PM
    • 7th Jan 09, 7:58 PM
    Thanks for the information,I have tried to register my daughter,but because of the money,I could not afford.
    I will let her go for the trial period and see the change in her,then maybe that will let me do some cutbacks in our finances.
    • July1962
    • By July1962 7th Jan 09, 8:07 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 13,274 Thanks
    July1962
    • 7th Jan 09, 8:07 PM
    • 7th Jan 09, 8:07 PM
    For adults wanting to improve literacy / numeracy skills there's www.move-on.org.uk/ or www.learndirect.co.uk

The National Certificate for Adult Literacy / Numeracy is free (I took both of mine at a Learn Direct Centre)
    It's nice to be important.....but it's more important to be nice
  • annieanglia
    • 8th Jan 09, 9:08 AM
    Maths help for children
    • 8th Jan 09, 9:08 AM
    I have come across a website which provides free downloadable worksheets for children and seems to work on similar principles to Kumon.
    I have been using them with my 9 year old daughter.
    The site is www.happychild.org.uk
    • shirlgirl2004
    • By shirlgirl2004 9th Jan 09, 9:42 PM
    • 2,940 Posts
    • 5,667 Thanks
    shirlgirl2004
    • 9th Jan 09, 9:42 PM
    • 9th Jan 09, 9:42 PM
    I have come across a website which provides free downloadable worksheets for children and seems to work on similar principles to Kumon.
    Originally posted by annieanglia
    It is a really poorly laid out site which takes a while to navigate to what you need. The maths questions start here
    • Kazzajr
    • By Kazzajr 9th Jan 09, 10:03 PM
    • 1,022 Posts
    • 2,250 Thanks
    Kazzajr
    • 9th Jan 09, 10:03 PM
    • 9th Jan 09, 10:03 PM
    This website is good http://www.primarygames.co.uk/, it features lots of games that my son plays in school when he has computer/maths time. My ds is only 6 so it might only be suitable for younger children though.
    • Bowling_4_Gold
    • By Bowling_4_Gold 12th Jan 09, 4:48 PM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    Bowling_4_Gold
    • 12th Jan 09, 4:48 PM
    • 12th Jan 09, 4:48 PM
    Kumon is quite a mischevious little company! They tried to con my dad, who was an administator, into free use of the hall he was managing! Thanks for the info though. Im sure it will be of use to some people
  • Tightwadways
    • 12th Jan 09, 6:24 PM
    • 12th Jan 09, 6:24 PM
    Also worth noting that Kumon also produces their own workbooks now, in subjects such as Maths, Sentences etc....although obviously not free, they are a fab resource IMO
    • lorweld
    • By lorweld 12th Jan 09, 7:29 PM
    • 5,103 Posts
    • 131,334 Thanks
    lorweld
    • 12th Jan 09, 7:29 PM
    • 12th Jan 09, 7:29 PM
    FREE KS2 HANDWRITING RESOURCE PACK TO DOWNLOAD (PDF)

Written in conjunction with the National Handwriting Association, international pen manufacturer STABILO have created 7 lesson plans tailored to meet the National Literacy standards for handwriting.

Focussing on legibility, speed and comfort, these fun packed activity sheets provide key advice and ideas to help develop childrens handwriting.
    • shirlgirl2004
    • By shirlgirl2004 12th Jan 09, 8:06 PM
    • 2,940 Posts
    • 5,667 Thanks
    shirlgirl2004
    Also worth noting that Kumon also produces their own workbooks now, in subjects such as Maths, Sentences etc....although obviously not free, they are a fab resource IMO
    Originally posted by freecycle
    Thanks. I use Educationcity.com and it's a great site, but as my daughter hasn't covered the work at school she needs more time to cover each area. These Kumon books look just the thing. I managed to find a good selection on Amazon, just by searching for Kumon.
  • VIJAY_FROM_KENT
    Kumon seems to have a good reputation. I run a community magazine called Dartford Living and our readers seem to give them positive feedback
  • newport-county-rule
    Originally posted by annieanglia
    many thanks, this site led me to a place to download worksheets, these are great for home schooling!
    first win jan 2009 Chocolate! my wife'll be pleased!
  • cars111
    my child goes to phoenix academy , i had my child in kumon and she did not like it at all , loads off repative worksheets, and not much else, phoenix academy however she loves , and cant wait to go to the learning centres on a saturday, we signed up for the homework course aswell and are really happy with the progress shes making, find them here www.phoenixacademyltd.com
  • true_red
    is that 2009 or 2010?
    are they doing it again in 2010?
  • jojoz
    Kumon free trials
    Yes they are. It kicks off on the 21st January and runs through to the 20th of February. Do it faithfully for 2 years and your child is likely to end up with solid mathematical skills - it worked for my sons. Good luck
  • mr-mr
    doing it again now. till october.
  • day23
    You can download kumon worksheets at this website kumonstyle.com
    I recently came across this site kumonstyle.com
    You will find that the worksheets on this site is exactly kumon worksheets. its amazing really!

I use to take my daughter to kumon but I couldn't afford it anymore so I started looking around. I downloaded the kumon worksheets from kumonstyle.com then I made a lot of copies for my daughter so she can repeat it over and over just like they do at kumon centres. it has saved me a lot of money!
    • asnmdirteha
    • By asnmdirteha 23rd Nov 14, 1:29 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    asnmdirteha
    Another place you can try out different types of worksheet is Beestar. Although it is based off the US Curriculum it provides worksheets that are helpful for my daughter. She is able to track her progress and learn different types of questions to increase her critical thinking skills. She is also able to see how her progress is and how she compares to other people. It is a great motivational and helpful tool that gives her the confidence she needs in learning her math and various subjects.
  • issac
    thanks for your sharing to us
    • free12345
    • By free12345 8th Jun 19, 10:48 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    free12345
    Get Kumon Worksheets at fastkings.com
    Check this website Fastkings.com to get real Kumon Centre Worksheets and teach your child yourself.

you will get the exact kumon center Worksheets there

Search for FREE KUMON WORKSHEETS ON YOUTUBE TOO
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,912Posts Today

8,265Users online

Martin's Twitter