Looking for tv recorder

roytom
roytom Posts: 354 Forumite
I need something that will record off air tv shows so I can skip the ads when playing it back. As I’m deaf it must do recording of subtitles.

I was thinking I’d like a box that records onto a USB drive, but at Argos they seem to record to a hard disc. For example
Manhattan T2-R £119.99 (no mention is made about recording subtitles).

I’ve had a look on eBay and there’s a huge number of different boxes - the cheap ones seem to still have SCART sockets, which is worrying.

Would any of the cheap boxes on eBay, or elsewhere, be any good? Would it be possible to record onto a USB 2.0 drive or would these be too slow? I bought a couple of Vertatim PinStripe 64gb drives from Ryman’s when these were cheap.

All advice gratefully accepted.

Ta

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
  • Tiexen
    Tiexen Posts: 724 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    roytom wrote: »
    I need something that will record off air tv shows so I can skip the ads when playing it back. As I’m deaf it must do recording of subtitles.

I was thinking I’d like a box that records onto a USB drive, but at Argos they seem to record to a hard disc. For example
    Manhattan T2-R £119.99 (no mention is made about recording subtitles).

I’ve had a look on eBay and there’s a huge number of different boxes - the cheap ones seem to still have SCART sockets, which is worrying.

Would any of the cheap boxes on eBay, or elsewhere, be any good? Would it be possible to record onto a USB 2.0 drive or would these be too slow? I bought a couple of Vertatim PinStripe 64gb drives from Ryman’s when these were cheap.

All advice gratefully accepted.

Ta

Recording onto usb stick would soon run out of room, the box you mention will record the subtitles along with the program
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Another vote for the youview suggestion....such ane one that takes in a freeview antenna signal that will feed through to your tv too.....
    but are you on satellite, if so you need a box compatilble with that system.

Perhaps you should clarify what you currently have?

Many smart systems might meet your need but, unless the subtitles are actually transmitted in vision by the broadcaster rather than as a selectable title from a 'parallel' digital signal -as is typical on most programme output these days-, older types or pure recorders will not meet your need. They only record what you can see at recording time. Some more recent within last ten years or so will handle subtitles such as the Panasonic DMR-E50 and similar. If you buy that type rather than a set top box/recorder you need to check their instructions!

Set top is probable the best choice!
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    There are refurbished Humax HDR-2000T boxes on Amazon for less than £90

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUMAX-HDR-2000T-500GB-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B07DGDRJ8W

Product specs here
    https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/hdr-2000t/

It should support recording subtitles.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If you have a Richer Sounds nearby, pop in and see what recording boxes are available.

Humax have been near the top of Which? reviews for ages, we’ve had one for about 9 years and only needed a replacement remote.

Recording onto USB is problematic, our “smart” TVs will do it, but the instructions say to only use an external hard disk and not to use USB memory sticks. In any event it lacks the “rewind” and multi channel recording capabilities of the Humax boxes.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    As above, ignore the cheap tat on Ebay, they're cheap for a reason.

Either a 2nd hand BT Youview box or a Humax recorder (they do Freesat & Freeview, make sure you get the right one).
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Another vote for HUMAX. Reliable and simple!
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'd echo Frozen's suggestion of looking at the available options in Richer Sounds if possible, and like many others I have previously found Humax boxes to be very reliable (and the last one I had did allow recordings to be copied from the box to USB, but with some restrictions). I'm not up to date on current offerings as I now get my TV from Virgin so I record on my V6 box.
  • psychic_teabag
    psychic_teabag Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Just FYI, one alternative approach is to get a USB tuner for your pc, and then let your pc do the recording. Then you don't need to buy a dedicated disk or anything.

If your TV can play back from a USB stick, you could copy from pc to stick to watch - then it wouldn't depend on the write speed of the memory stick.

Because the subtitles are embedded into the digital stream for a program, all recordings should include them. But of course you also rely on the playback software to actually display them.

I used a humax for a long time, and was happy with it, but now use a custom setup based around a rpi with usb tuner, writing to a usb hard drive. (With an old standard desktop pc as a backup recorder to cope with the occassional scheduling clash that I can't work around.)

How much disk space you need depends very much on how much you record per week, and whether you keep on top of it. Unfortunately we fall foul of the Micawber Principle, and record at a higher rate than we watch, so no amount of disk space would be enough.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Doesn't your TV have it's own ability to record programs via USB? I have a relatively old Bush non-smart TV and it can record via USB. So it isn't some new super high tech function. You can set when it should record via the TV's Program guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNvaBqtatxk

What model of TV do you own?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family