PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Blairweech-my meal plans depend alot of whoopsie hunts and BOGOFs. I start with what we've got in the cupboards/freezer and then plan...a bit like an amateur version of Mrs Mc (I salute you). We are going on holiday on Wednesday so today's challenge has been to eat/cook up all the fresh veg, cheese, bread we have. Our freezer is just a normal size, underneath the fridge and is completely full of salmon and fruit from our garden at the moment.
    As I've said before OB will eat most things and loves looking at the meal planner on the side of the fridge. I am very proud of what we've achieved, we started in Jan when there was so many whoopsies, then the credit crunch started and now everyone seems to grab them. However I still think of us as beginners when I read how well some of you do it with your families (some quite large) to consider.
    I am very strict with our meal planners because I just want to get to go to Costa Rica...just been reading about it and should see giant leatherback turtles in the Carribean sea, maybe even laying their eggs too..If we carry on this well, the G.challenge/Sealed pot will pay for most of the costs..we are having a simple wedding so even if OB doesn't get a new job for a while we can still fulfill our dreams next year.
    SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • Brilliant and Easy Chicken Fried Rice from leftovers was a great success I almost wish I'd had double of everything and made it for us all

1 cup plain boiled rice cooled
    1 clove garlic finely sliced
    1 blob ginger paste
    2 tbs veg oil
    1 cup diced precooked chicken from rubber chicken
    2 in strip of red pepper
    2 in strip green pepper
    Handful frozen peas
    2 in onion chopped
    2 dashes of soy sauce

Method.

Heat oil in wok / large fry pan till v hot.
    Add garlic and ginger,turn heat down.
    Add peppers - 2 mins.
    Add all other ingredients and stir vigourously for 5 mins till heated through.
    Serve with 2 egg omelette chopped up and plonked on top or stir through if you prefer.

I didn't add salt as my rice was previously salted and soy is salty.

OH loved it,so did I but I only managed to get a smidge of it.

Have put on menu plan for next month as DD9 liked it too.

Any recipes for sweet and sour chicken or pork you lovely lot????

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    annelouise wrote: »
    Any recipes for sweet and sour chicken or pork you lovely lot????

Sweet & Sour

diced chicken (can use pork instead)
    onion, roughly chopped
    red pepper, cut into strips
    carrot, sliced (I use (value)tinned cos it cooks quicker)
    1 tbsp caster sugar
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp vinegar
    3 tbsp tomato puree/ketchup
    250ml water/stock
    1 can pineapple in juice
    1 tbsp cornflour

Fry the chicken in batches until browned.
    Add the onion, pepper and carrot and fry until softened.
    Drain the pineapple reserving the juice.
    Add the pineapple juice, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, tom puree/ketchup and water/stock to the pan.
    Stir and simmer for approx 10 mins or until chicken is tender.
    Add the pineapple and then blend the cornflour with a little water and add to the mixture.
    Stir over the heat until sauce thickens and pineapple is warm.
    Serve with noodles/rice.
    :A
  • This is a good low cal BBQ/Sweet and Sour tasting dish

Diet Coke chicken
    Chicken diced
    chopped onion
    sliced mushrooms
    1x can diet coke
    couple of splashes of Worcester Sauce
    5 tbsp tom sauce

Lightly brown chicken with the onion and add the mushroom. Add the coke and sauces. Then cook until the sauce goes sticky, keep stirring it so it doesn't stick to the bottom and burn ;)
    Serve with rice/noodles

Thanks for the sweet and sour recipe Angelnikki I wish I had that before I got my BOGOF jars in Mr M ;)
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• Living in a holiday resort / urbanization has it's up side.

My neighbour has just dropped off-

1/2 watermelon
    3/4 cucumber
    2 onions
    Pate
    Cheese
    Cheese slices
    Jam
    Marmalade
    Salad Cream
    Icecream
    Wafers
    Ham
    Salami
    Chorizo
    Seeded 1/2 loaf
    Tomato juice
    Bottle water
    Olives
    Pepper

wowowowow

My list is almost nil now for the next 3 days shop.

DD9 is eating the watermelon and OH is having supper of pate on toast.

Result.......

My opposite neighbours are leaving Tuesday so I may get another food parcel.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • annelouise-Wow! Great food present!!
    SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • Thanks for sweet and sour recipes have filed in my recipe book for reference.

annelouise
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Evening all

Well first things first..im soooo excited that its sad :o :rotfl:
    I was talking with hubby earlier about that gardening thing i had my eye on..i was umming n aahhing as hubby had given in and agreed to buy me a remoska for xmas :T -he won't normally buy me "housey things" for pressies :confused: ... and i was trying to decide if i wanted the remoska or the garden jobby most -trying to decide which would save most money in the long term... and his answer !!!! -"have the garden thing for your birthday" :j .... ok my birthday is 22 december.. so i will "have" to have it early -only so i can get the free irrigation system of course ;) ... which means next year all the salady, oriental leaves and some strawberries can go in that..freeing up the other tubs for more veggies :T ...plus i can use it to start all my seeds off:D -im allready saving loo roll tubes for all my beans n peas :p
    Hubby was quite amused as i was singing the virtues of "space saving" hubby wondered where exactly i was going to find room for it :rotfl: ..well we have 1 neighbour with a toddler so i can't put things right up to the fence, and the other side has a puppy who tries to pull things through :rolleyes: so i can stand it next to the fence on the dog side as it won't reach anything:T
    Ok...excited rambles over :o

Today was a NSD afterall... the Naffi was still waiting for is flour delivery -so i got my money back again :j we will probably nip on Tuesday on the way back from golf and see if it is in yet:D

Savingfortravel... I think we are like you and your OB ;) .... My hubby will eat just about anything but roast parsnips, sweet potato and apricots... so he is very easy to please :T and like you i stick my head in the freezer/cupboards and work out from there.. I just list 7 meals and then pick as we go along -depending on the weather, what we are doing and what wants using first:p .
    Im doing rather well on the NAFFI whoopsies at the moment -but the biggest saver for me has been to start eating normal sized portion rather than mega ones and getting the ratios right between meat, carb n veg... at one time we used to eat huge portions of meat at a time :rolleyes: oh and having a liking for a lot of the old recipes we used to have as kids like savoury meat roll, breast of lamb stew etc
    We always seem to prefer the "concoctions" i come up with too rather than "proper recipes" :rotfl: which is great for using up odds n sods from the freezer/fridge;)

Hi Turbo....
    At the moment im using all sorts of tomatoes -from tiny plum to big bruisers.. I have 30 plants on the go :rotfl: so rather than keep eating them im cutting them into 1/2 1/4s and throwing in a tin with garlic, olive oil, salt n pepper and roasting -you can add any other veggies... courgettes n peppers went into todays.. then im bagging them up as they are. When i was doing them before i would blitz them down..but now im leaving them so i can put them in pasta or casseroles or even on toast mmmmm.. or blitz them down when i defrost them

right i will get off and catch up with everything else..
    have a good night everyone :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • nickynoo08
    nickynoo08 Posts: 1,860 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi everyone,
    just a quick update. Spent 9.38 in netto over the wk end getting some bargains. Got a huge bag of chicken dippers (67 in bag i think) for £2.99. Not v healthy i kno but my little one is at his fussy stage n loves them plus as there just for him they'll last me ages. Have to pop to mr t's tomoro for my wkly shop. So far this month so good! Will up date total spend for month tomoro.
    Have a good day everyone
    £387.39/£196.46
    Pay my debt by End of Feb 2022
    49.28% paid!

£199.55/£500 savings by End of April 2022
    39.91% saved!

Make £2022 in 2022 - £20
  • Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    A NSD today for me. Found a jar of mincemeat lurking in the cupboard so I made that into a pie with the addition of a couple of wrinklie apples, peeled cored and chopped. Had enough left to make 12 small mince pies and 12 jam tarts with the leftover pastry. Made beef casserole for tea and I have enough of that left to make a pie with suet crust pastry tomorrow. All a bit stodgy so will have to go back to the salads on Tuesday.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport