Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • someanonbloke
    • By someanonbloke 12th Oct 19, 5:26 PM
    • 230Posts
    • 24Thanks
    someanonbloke
    0 WOW
    Elderly disabled denied wheelchair at Middle East airport
    • 12th Oct 19, 5:26 PM
    0 WOW
    Elderly disabled denied wheelchair at Middle East airport 12th Oct 19 at 5:26 PM
    Hi, I wasn't sure which forum to post this and so please move accordingly, mod, thx.

Hello, I'm posting in relation to an incident with an airline operating internationally out of the Middle East.

A senior couple (one disabled and reliant on a wheelchair) had booked their tickets through an agency travelling from UK to a destination in south Asia connecting through a Middle East airport. After booking with an agency, they subsequently contacted the airline to book wheelchair and transit lounge facilities for their wait at the connecting airport, which was confirmed over the phone with a representative of the airline.

A wheelchair was provided for the first leg of the trip from UK to the connecting airport. On arrival at the connecting airport, an attendant was waiting, who took them into the airport but then said that if they wanted to keep the wheelchair for the duration of the transit there would be an extra charge? Reluctantly, the elderly couple agreed to pay with a CC but the attendant rejected this and demanded cash whereupon he marched them to an ATM. The non-disabled senior then became angered by this believing it to be an extortion attempt whereupon the airport security took him away and the disabled senior was abandoned in the airport with no carer for 30 mins. This caused the individual to have a panic attack because he/she didn't know what was going on and was clearly very vulnerable. After this delay, the security released the non-disabled senior who returned to the abandoned senior. The attendant then withdrew the chair whereupon the couple were forced to go on foot to the transit lounge. They were then refused entry to the transit lounge because 'they were not on the list' and were asked to pay extra. They refused to pay and ended up sitting in a general waiting area which caused them considerable discomfort whilst they waited for their flight.

It's not clear what happened here. At first we thought there might be confusion about the processing of the extra charge for wheelchair/transit lounge facilities but then why was there no issue with the wheelchair on the other legs of the trip? At the final destination in south Asia wheelchair services were provided by the airline all the way to the taxi outside the airport on both legs. So, it seems the problem is specific to the airport in the Middle East.

Again, on the return leg through the Middle East, no wheelchair was provided but the seniors did not wish for a repeat of the previous situation and coped by walking with great difficulty to required areas.

I initially raised this complaint with the airline at the start of the year which the airline acknowledged. Then, again, during the summer I sent a reminder to the airline which they acknowledged. Yet there has still been no resolution. I feel enough time has passed for a resolution to this. What are the options are this stage and which authority should we report this state of affairs to?
Page 2
    • someanonbloke
    • By someanonbloke 13th Oct 19, 6:00 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    someanonbloke
    I reckon it was the OP gobbing off. He gives off that kind of impression via this thread.
    Lucky he wasn't arrested with an attitude like that.
    Originally posted by powerful_Rogue
    No, I started gobbing off at the guttersnipes who were trying to fob me off and now you're joining in.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 13th Oct 19, 6:02 PM
    • 3,988 Posts
    • 6,071 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    a scruffy and badly behaved child who spends most of their time on the street.

Maybe look for a different word, as 'gutternsnipe' doesn't fit at all.
    • someanonbloke
    • By someanonbloke 13th Oct 19, 6:10 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    someanonbloke
    gutternsnipe
    Doesn't have to be a child. It can refer generally to any trash living on the street who shoots their mouth off at passers by.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=guttersnipe
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 13th Oct 19, 6:14 PM
    • 3,988 Posts
    • 6,071 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    Doesn't have to be a child. It can refer generally to any trash living on the street who shoots their mouth off at passers by.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=guttersnipe
    Originally posted by someanonbloke

Yeah, still doesn't work.
    So where does all this built in anger and hatred come from?
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 13th Oct 19, 6:22 PM
    • 5,838 Posts
    • 3,747 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    So if it was Jet Airways. They went bust
    • someanonbloke
    • By someanonbloke 13th Oct 19, 6:36 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    someanonbloke
    So if it was Jet Airways. They went bust
    Originally posted by budgetflyer
    So, therefore, disabled passengers no longer require wheelchair access?
    • Westin
    • By Westin 13th Oct 19, 8:51 PM
    • 2,086 Posts
    • 1,533 Thanks
    Westin
    I see you also posted on the Air Travel forum (and Senior Travel forum) of Trip Advisor this afternoon presumably seeking more positive answers as you were not getting what you wanted to hear on MSE.

Looks like you got short thrift on that forum as you also initially refused to give disclosure of information to allow others to give an informed view, position and advice. People will be happy to help in most cases but dragging information out of posters who are being particularly obtuse can be frustrating.

Trip Advisor closed your thread within a few hours.
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k12977784-Senior_Disabled_denied_wheelchair_at_Middle_East_a irport-Air_Travel.html
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 13th Oct 19, 11:26 PM
    • 4,923 Posts
    • 12,354 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Manners maketh the person
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 14th Oct 19, 6:42 AM
    • 12,437 Posts
    • 8,106 Thanks
    Caz3121
    After booking with an agency, they subsequently contacted the airline to book wheelchair and transit lounge facilities for their wait at the connecting airport, which was confirmed over the phone with a representative of the airline.

They were then refused entry to the transit lounge because 'they were not on the list' and were asked to pay extra. They refused to pay and ended up sitting in a general waiting area which caused them considerable discomfort whilst they waited for their flight.
    Airline was Gulf Air. Incident happened at Bahrain airport.
    free lounge access is given based on status or class of travel. If passengers do not have status they can purchase access
    https://www.gulfair.com/at-the-airport/falcon-gold-lounge
    If they paid for lounge access and were refused then they would be entitled to a refund of the payment.
    If they had not paid (and did not qualify on status/travel class) then it is correct that they were asked to pay for access.
    • Dr Crypto
    • By Dr Crypto 14th Oct 19, 9:25 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Dr Crypto
    Did they get a lounge on the return leg? There’s certainly no entitlement to lounge access just because the passenger is a wheelchair user.
    I doubt you’ll get very far unless you know the Bahrain disability laws and even then certainly no compensation unless as a goodwill gesture. Being marched off by security probably doesn’t help.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 14th Oct 19, 12:19 PM
    • 20,386 Posts
    • 47,253 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I thought you said they travelled with Gulfair, not Jet Airways?

Or are you just posting random quotes that fit your agenda?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 14th Oct 19, 6:38 PM
    • 6,307 Posts
    • 5,740 Thanks
    mgdavid
    And now there's a deafening silence from the guttersnipes!

no point in replying when the OP is not listening...
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,949Posts Today

10,119Users online

Martin's Twitter