Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • QQQ
    • By QQQ 6th Oct 19, 11:25 AM
    • 299Posts
    • 18Thanks
    QQQ
    0 WOW
    Cheap yet reliable dishwasher tablets and rinse aid
    • 6th Oct 19, 11:25 AM
    0 WOW
    Cheap yet reliable dishwasher tablets and rinse aid 6th Oct 19 at 11:25 AM
    Finish tablets and rinse aid work great however I cannot say the same about their price. Is there an alternative brand or supermarket own line which washes as good and costs much less?
Page 1
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Oct 19, 12:31 PM
    • 20,903 Posts
    • 123,965 Thanks
    maman
    • 6th Oct 19, 12:31 PM
    • 6th Oct 19, 12:31 PM
    Finish tablets and rinse aid work great however I cannot say the same about their price. Is there an alternative brand or supermarket own line which washes as good and costs much less?
    Originally posted by QQQ
    I buy mine from Lidl. Aldi dishwasher tablets are fine too but Lidl sell great dishwasher salt (in easy dispenser box) and rinse aid so I tend to go there and stock up from time to time.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 6th Oct 19, 12:44 PM
    • 909 Posts
    • 763 Thanks
    mac.d
    • 6th Oct 19, 12:44 PM
    • 6th Oct 19, 12:44 PM
    I've used Lidl's dishwasher tablets & salt too and had no problem. Though haven't tried any other rinse aid yet.
    • nanto3girls
    • By nanto3girls 6th Oct 19, 12:45 PM
    • 5,314 Posts
    • 81,080 Thanks
    nanto3girls
    • 6th Oct 19, 12:45 PM
    • 6th Oct 19, 12:45 PM
    I'm using Morrisons dishwasher tablets and rinse aid.
    They are very good. Using Finish salt because it was on offer.
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 6th Oct 19, 3:32 PM
    • 2,758 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    • 6th Oct 19, 3:32 PM
    • 6th Oct 19, 3:32 PM
    Aldi & Lidl.
    Finish products are way way overpriced.
    • QQQ
    • By QQQ 6th Oct 19, 3:44 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    QQQ
    • 6th Oct 19, 3:44 PM
    • 6th Oct 19, 3:44 PM
    Aldi & Lidl.
    Originally posted by greyteam1959
    Does the same apply to rinse aid?
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 6th Oct 19, 4:31 PM
    • 14,158 Posts
    • 43,727 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 6th Oct 19, 4:31 PM
    • 6th Oct 19, 4:31 PM
    Why go to the extra expense of rinse aid? I buy all in one tabs .

I buy ASDA all in one and they are £5 fir 60 tabs.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Oct 19, 5:58 PM
    • 20,903 Posts
    • 123,965 Thanks
    maman
    • 6th Oct 19, 5:58 PM
    • 6th Oct 19, 5:58 PM
    Why go to the extra expense of rinse aid? I buy all in one tabs .

I buy ASDA all in one and they are £5 fir 60 tabs.
    Originally posted by sarah1972
    DH says it's because the warning lights irritate him.
    • QQQ
    • By QQQ 6th Oct 19, 6:27 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    QQQ
    • 6th Oct 19, 6:27 PM
    • 6th Oct 19, 6:27 PM
    But is there definitely no difference in the wash results between all-in-one tabs and all-in-one tabs plus salt & rinse aid? Especially in hard water areas?
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Oct 19, 7:22 PM
    • 20,903 Posts
    • 123,965 Thanks
    maman
    But is there definitely no difference in the wash results between all-in-one tabs and all-in-one tabs plus salt & rinse aid? Especially in hard water areas?
    Originally posted by QQQ
    We're in a hard water area and use Lidl Classic dishwasher tabs plus their rinse aid and salt. Sometimes I've done 'belt and braces' and used all in one tabs. You'll only know if you're happy with Lidl if you give them a go. I've not used expensive products for years so hard to comment on the difference.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 6th Oct 19, 9:33 PM
    • 5,349 Posts
    • 6,757 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Another vote for Aldi everything - tabs, salt and rinse aid. If anything, I find their tablets a little too strong, but they certainly remove tea stains etc which some others I've tried can miss.
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Oct 19, 10:07 PM
    • 20,903 Posts
    • 123,965 Thanks
    maman
    Another vote for Aldi everything - tabs, salt and rinse aid. If anything, I find their tablets a little too strong, but they certainly remove tea stains etc which some others I've tried can miss.
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    I'd agree but I think it's worth an occasional trip to Lidl as I'm impressed with the dishwasher salt dispenser box.

There will be a film over time on glasses but I only put cheap kitchen glasses (like IKEA) in the dishwasher. Everything comes out clean
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 7th Oct 19, 6:31 AM
    • 5,349 Posts
    • 6,757 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I'd agree but I think it's worth an occasional trip to Lidl as I'm impressed with the dishwasher salt dispenser box.

There will be a film over time on glasses but I only put cheap kitchen glasses (like IKEA) in the dishwasher. Everything comes out clean
    Originally posted by maman
    We're a bit short of Lidl branches my my area, so I've no experience with their products. I do agree about glasses, and even printed mugs which, despite being marked 'dishwasher safe', often fade quite quickly. I don't think I'd risk the Minton with anyone's dishwasher powder!
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 7th Oct 19, 6:43 AM
    • 14,158 Posts
    • 43,727 Thanks
    sarah1972
    Originally posted by QQQ
    No difference that I could see when I tried.

But you said all in one plus salt & rinse aid? That would just result in way too much salt and rinse as its already in tabs.

It should be either standard tabs + salt + rinse aid or all in one tabs and nothing else.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Lily54
    • By Lily54 8th Oct 19, 7:56 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    Lily54
    I use Aldi tabletsand I buy my rinse aid and salt in Poundstretchers, the rinse aid is about 69p in my store.
    • Petula
    • By Petula 8th Oct 19, 8:24 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 841 Thanks
    Petula
    I use Finish Powerball (I think that’s what they’re called �� - used to seeing the box and grabbing, lol).

Every so often you can find them in Home Bargains/B&M/Poundland, a big box of 110 tabs for 8.99 - sometimes 9.99 - but I wait for the 8.99 �� and buy a few boxes to put away. Haven’t bought anything else in the last 3 years.
    • QQQ
    • By QQQ 8th Oct 19, 8:37 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    QQQ
    I use Finish Powerball (I think that’s what they’re called �� - used to seeing the box and grabbing, lol).

Every so often you can find them in Home Bargains/B&M/Poundland, a big box of 110 tabs for 8.99 - sometimes 9.99 - but I wait for the 8.99 �� and buy a few boxes to put away. Haven’t bought anything else in the last 3 years.
    Originally posted by Petula
    Does that mean you tried cheaper Lidl/Aldi tablets, they did not impress you so you prefer much more expensive (even when it's £8.99 for 110 tablets) Finish?
    • Petula
    • By Petula 8th Oct 19, 9:18 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 841 Thanks
    Petula
    Does that mean you tried cheaper Lidl/Aldi tablets, they did not impress you so you prefer much more expensive (even when it's £8.99 for 110 tablets) Finish?
    Originally posted by QQQ
    Iíve not tried others (as of yet anyway). Weíve only had a dishwasher for the 3 years I mentioned and I have just bought the Finish at what I thought was a good price @ 8.99 for 110 tablets. I didnít see prices mentioned for the various tablets in the thread, if they are priced less I may well give them a try
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 8th Oct 19, 9:58 PM
    • 12,318 Posts
    • 32,864 Thanks
    suki1964
    I also use Lidls bog standard tablets and use salt and rinse aid - also from lidl

I have a slimline dishwasher so I prefer plain tablets as I break them in half and just use half
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 8th Oct 19, 10:52 PM
    • 851 Posts
    • 2,312 Thanks
    kimplus8
    I use the Morrison own brand 'all in one' tablets and they do the job just fine and dandy. It was £4 (on offer from £5) for the family pack of 60 tabs.
    The get everything clean and don't leave any smears or residue on anything.
    Mum to 8 troopersDave Ramsey and Martin Lewis are my Money Saving Heros.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,271Posts Today

8,146Users online

Martin's Twitter