Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    archived user
    PPI rejections
    • 4th Oct 19, 1:10 PM
    PPI rejections 4th Oct 19 at 1:10 PM
    Is anyone else getting notified that there were PPIs taken out in their name and attached to various accounts only to be told something like 'we have decided there is nothing to pay even though we can't find the original paperwork and here is a leaflet on how to complain through the Ombudsman?

I have never knowingly taken out a PPI type of account, but have had 2 rejections recently. It seems companies are just passing the buck on to us to contact the Ombudsman to take complaints to another level. If they were mis-sold then the companies should be paying out. Isn't this what the whole PPI fiasco recently was about??

We have been encouraged by the likes of Martin on this website and on TV to try and make complaints only to be told 'yep you had one, we can't find the paperwork, so Nope we ain't paying out' (this was Nationwide). What has been the point of all the hours spent completing the original complaint forms?
Page 1
    • Rainbowgirl84
    • By Rainbowgirl84 4th Oct 19, 1:19 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 1,842 Thanks
    Rainbowgirl84
    • 4th Oct 19, 1:19 PM
    • 4th Oct 19, 1:19 PM
    You have to remember that Martin Lewis promotes himself.

Hours filling in forms?...it took minutes. What proof do you hold that you were missold PPI? If you have any take it to FOS as you've been informed you can do. You don't get an automatic refund just for complaining!
    • zx81
    • By zx81 4th Oct 19, 1:20 PM
    • 24,169 Posts
    • 26,891 Thanks
    zx81
    • 4th Oct 19, 1:20 PM
    • 4th Oct 19, 1:20 PM
    Your complaint is only upheld if you were mis sold.

Not all complaints succeed.

If the company no longer has the evidence, you can provide your own.
    • SonOf
    • By SonOf 4th Oct 19, 1:22 PM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 2,049 Thanks
    SonOf
    • 4th Oct 19, 1:22 PM
    • 4th Oct 19, 1:22 PM
    Is anyone else getting notified that there were PPIs taken out in their name and attached to various accounts only to be told something like 'we have decided there is nothing to pay even though we can't find the original paperwork and here is a leaflet on how to complain through the Ombudsman?
    If they cannot find records of you paying PPI then you would expect a rejection.
    (having PPi and paying PPI are two different things. e.g. credit cards can have PPI but it doesnt mean you paid PPI).

It seems companies are just passing the buck on to us to contact the Ombudsman to take complaints to another level.
    The stats do not appear to back up your assumption.

The FOS uphold rate for PPI has never been lower. It is just a quarter of cases now (even less for mortgage PPI). If firms were just passing the buck, as you suggest, the FOS uphold rate would be higher. Firms would also be at risk of fines from the FCA.

If they were mis-sold then the companies should be paying out.
    Correct. And if they were not missold or there is no evidence of PPI being paid, then there is nothing to pay out.

We have been encouraged by the likes of Martin on this website and on TV to try and make complaints only to be told 'yep you had one, we can't find the paperwork, so Nope we ain't paying out' (this was Nationwide).
    People have been complaining about PPI for nearly 20 years. Data protection requires firms to destroy data that is no longer required. That means records start being deleted after around 6-10 years. So, at this late stage, you would expect records from decades ago to be light to non-existant.

What has been the point of all the hours spent completing the original complaint forms?
    If you have records of you paying PPI then the bank must use those. If both have no records, then its game over.
    What type of PPI was it?
    How long ago are we talking about?
    • meer53
    • By meer53 5th Oct 19, 3:09 PM
    • 9,562 Posts
    • 14,007 Thanks
    meer53
    • 5th Oct 19, 3:09 PM
    • 5th Oct 19, 3:09 PM
    I have never knowingly taken out a PPI type of account, but have had 2 rejections recently.

If you've never knowingly taken out PPI what are you going to complain about ? And why are you surprised about the rejections ?
  • archived user
    • 6th Oct 19, 6:27 PM
    • 6th Oct 19, 6:27 PM
    Thanks for your reply - although it is a bit weird.

I said I have never knowingly taken out a PPI. However I HAVE had them taken out by financial companies without my knowledge - hence the complaints! But the companies are not paying out. So not only were they "missold" I was not actually aware of them until I sent off speculative PPI complaint forms.
    • brettcta
    • By brettcta 6th Oct 19, 6:57 PM
    • 3,727 Posts
    • 3,560 Thanks
    brettcta
    • 6th Oct 19, 6:57 PM
    • 6th Oct 19, 6:57 PM
    ‘Never knowingly taken out PPI’ is a poor complaint point in my experience. Its listed on every credit card statement that carries a balance (I.e. isn’t paid off in full), it’s quoted on credit agreements as an added extra to the full breakdown own the loan costs and where it’s charged on overdrafts, it’s clearly listed.

You not remembering taking it out does not mean it was missold.
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for 6.34)
  • archived user
    • 9th Oct 19, 11:15 AM
    • 9th Oct 19, 11:15 AM
    Update - just found a very old copy of a mortgage application. I did not tick the 'PPI' type of insurance, although the company did take one out (very pushy mortgage broker - I remember saying that I was not interested in any additional products). I also never received any information regarding this insurance (I keep records). So all those who did not like my wording of "I never knowingly took out any PPI" - imagine I am blowing you a BIG raspberry for being totally unhelpful. At least I now have proof that I did not take one out and can take the matter further. Closing my account as the site have been pretty unhelpful.
    • The_squirrell
    • By The_squirrell 9th Oct 19, 11:27 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    The_squirrell
    • 9th Oct 19, 11:27 AM
    • 9th Oct 19, 11:27 AM
    Update - just found a very old copy of a mortgage application. I did not tick the 'PPI' type of insurance, although the company did take one out (very pushy mortgage broker - I remember saying that I was not interested in any additional products). I also never received any information regarding this insurance (I keep records). So all those who did not like my wording of "I never knowingly took out any PPI" - imagine I am blowing you a BIG raspberry for being totally unhelpful. At least I now have proof that I did not take one out and can take the matter further. Closing my account as the site have been pretty unhelpful.
    Originally posted by OscarWest

Good luck!

Its the broker that you need to complain to though. And even if its post regulation, you will be too late. It would also have shown as a separate payment on a bank statement if you paid monthly, and if so you could have cancelled at any time. Oh, you could also have taken your business elsewhere at the time, if you weren't happy with the broker. Oh again......you could also have complained at the time. This is probably not very helpful I know.
    Last edited by The_squirrell; 09-10-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    I work in Data Protection and spend my days dealing with CMC's. Only here trying to help!!
    • meer53
    • By meer53 9th Oct 19, 11:42 AM
    • 9,562 Posts
    • 14,007 Thanks
    meer53
    Good luck, the deadline for making a PPI complaint has been and gone. Hope this helps.
    • SonOf
    • By SonOf 9th Oct 19, 11:45 AM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 2,049 Thanks
    SonOf
    Update - just found a very old copy of a mortgage application. I did not tick the 'PPI' type of insurance, although the company did take one out
    That is normal. Brokers never use the lender's insurance products as they are usually poor quality and expensive. They would use products from the marketplace (if independent) or their own insurer (if tied).
    very pushy mortgage broker - I remember saying that I was not interested in any additional products
    Brokers have a duty to make you aware of risks and ways to mitigate them. If you dont want anything then you say so. They cannot force you into having something.

I also never received any information regarding this insurance (I keep records). So all those who did not like my wording of "I never knowingly took out any PPI" - imagine I am blowing you a BIG raspberry for being totally unhelpful.
    Broker issues a quote at point of sale. This is followed up with a copy sent to your address by the provider with the cancellation rights. And a letter telling you the direct debit dates (mandatory to inform you at least 10 days before the due date). Then there is the actual monthly direct debit itself. So, that includes documents issued by multiple parties that you claim you never received and a direct debit from your bank that you never saw.

You may blow a raspberry but you are lacking credibility. And with complaints that have little or no evidence of wrongdoing, credibility does come into play. It isn't posters here being unhelpful. It is them being realistic.

At least I now have proof that I did not take one out and can take the matter further.
    Two issues you have here.

1 - it appears you complained to the lender and not the broker. The lender has no liability for complaints of products sold by other retailers (the broker). You are now too late to raise the complaint with the broker as the PPI deadline has passed.
    2 - Brokers were only regulated from January 2005. If you bought before that date, you complaint would have failed, even if it was missold, as it was pre-regulation.

Closing my account as the site have been pretty unhelpful.
    The responses have been very helpful and accurate. Just because you do not like the answers does not mean they are wrong.

Out of interest, did you actually pay PPI on the mortgage?
    Lender didnt sell you any as it was via a broker. You say you have no records of any being sold. You havent actually mentioned if you were paying a direct debit to an insurer for MPPI. Perhaps the reason you didnt get documents was because you were not paying PPI.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 9th Oct 19, 10:02 PM
    • 24,942 Posts
    • 14,446 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Closing my account as the site have been pretty unhelpful.
    By all means try elsewhere, but the answers will be just as "unhelpful"; especially as the deadline for new PPI complaints has now passed.
    Sorry.
    • Davy Jones II
    • By Davy Jones II 9th Oct 19, 10:23 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 757 Thanks
    Davy Jones II
    Well done for getting that off your chest.

Given that PPI complaints are out of time what exactly are you planning to do now?
    • societys child
    • By societys child 10th Oct 19, 11:11 AM
    • 6,448 Posts
    • 7,631 Thanks
    societys child
    what exactly are you planning to do now?
    I think he's taken his ball home . .

• zx81
    • By zx81 10th Oct 19, 11:17 AM
    • 24,169 Posts
    • 26,891 Thanks
    zx81
    That's a shame.

After his big raspberry, I was looking forward to seeing what other oversized soft fruit he had to show us.
    • SonOf
    • By SonOf 10th Oct 19, 11:17 AM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 2,049 Thanks
    SonOf
    My opinion is that he doesn't even have PPI and is just wasting everyone's time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,329Posts Today

7,620Users online

Martin's Twitter