Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Naomi
    • By MSE Naomi 29th Aug 19, 10:17 AM
    • 313Posts
    • 71Thanks
    MSE Naomi
    Banks struggle to handle last-minute surge in PPI complaints - MSE News
    • 29th Aug 19, 10:17 AM
    Banks struggle to handle last-minute surge in PPI complaints - MSE News 29th Aug 19 at 10:17 AM
    Hours ahead of the PPI deadline, Santander's PPI enquiry form has been "temporarily unavailable" while customers of other banks are reporting website problems and waits of up to 90 minutes on the phone. The deadline to claim is 11.59pm TODAY (Thursday) - so here's what to do if you're affected...
    Read the full story:
    'Banks struggle to handle last-minute surge in PPI complaints - what to do if you're having problems'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 3
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 29th Aug 19, 11:34 PM
    • 7,104 Posts
    • 8,331 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    Spotted you years ago mate.
    Originally posted by peterbaker
    Accusing people of being banking apologist just because they donít agree with your rant is as silly as me assuming you are mad at the deadline because you work for a CMC and your gravy train is ending.

For the record I have never worked for a bank and I have never had PPI, just happy I no longer have to listen to endless CWC adds on Planet Rock or get anymore unsolicited calls from parasites trying trying to get me to claim compo for something I never had.
    • adam_thedon
    • By adam_thedon 29th Aug 19, 11:44 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    adam_thedon
    Eight years? The PPI scandal goes back at least two decades...
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude

Yes I know, I was referring to the 2011 high court ruling that made it very public knowledge and everyone and their mother knew to complain
    • peterbaker
    • By peterbaker 29th Aug 19, 11:47 PM
    • 2,795 Posts
    • 1,442 Thanks
    peterbaker
    Accusing people of being banking apologist just because they don’t agree with your rant is as silly as me assuming you are mad at the deadline because you work for a CMC and your gravy train is ending.

For the record I have never worked for a bank and I have never had PPI, just happy I no longer have to listen to endless CWC adds on Planet Rock or get anymore unsolicited calls from parasites trying trying to get me to claim compo for something I never had.
    Originally posted by Keep pedalling
    I don't work for a CMC but I know insurance and I also worked for a large retail bank and complained powerfully in the bank about what I discovered was happening almost from the outset. Our banks have been controlled by crooks for decades, and the regulators and government are disgracefully soft. Accusing me of ranting because I can say so with authority is what is silly.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 29th Aug 19, 11:47 PM
    • 24,903 Posts
    • 14,421 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Well bully for you - so as an expert reclaimer, you cannot abide anyone newcomer trampling on "your" turf, is that it? Why be so condescending? You were once the gullible customer who took loans front ended with single premium PPI, remember?
    I admit I've become very jaded over the years.

I have, though, helped literally thousands of people with PPI complaints.

I'm not sure you can say the same 12 minutes before the final deadline...
    • brettcta
    • By brettcta 29th Aug 19, 11:49 PM
    • 3,718 Posts
    • 3,555 Thanks
    brettcta
    You are ranting though Peter, it’s the sort of wibble you’d expect to read from someone with a shiny tin foil hat.

Have a day off.
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
    • peterbaker
    • By peterbaker 30th Aug 19, 12:03 AM
    • 2,795 Posts
    • 1,442 Thanks
    peterbaker
    I admit I've become very jaded over the years.

I have, though, helped literally thousands of people with PPI complaints.

I'm not sure you can say the same 12 minutes before the final deadline...
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Well I can - any time I like, thanks. It also looks like with at least one bank, Santander, it is not too late even though the deadline is now passed ... they say this:

"The deadline for submitting PPI complaints and claims is 29 August 2019.

However, due to the high volume of customers contacting us about PPI you can continue to make a PPI complaint or to submit PPI enquiries using the details below."

(https://www.santander.co.uk/personal/support/customer-support/ppi)

I wonder if the online claim forms at all the bank websites will still be accepted tomorrow ... I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the better part of valour dictates that they all allow some hours of grace at least. I wonder if they will contact MSE to confirm it?
    Last edited by peterbaker; 30-08-2019 at 12:11 AM.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 30th Aug 19, 12:13 AM
    • 24,903 Posts
    • 14,421 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Well I can
    "Can" what exactly?
    • brettcta
    • By brettcta 30th Aug 19, 12:27 AM
    • 3,718 Posts
    • 3,555 Thanks
    brettcta
    Ours was taken offline at midnight. There’s at least one bank that won’t be taking complaints tomorrow.
    helpful tips
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
    • peterbaker
    • By peterbaker 30th Aug 19, 12:27 AM
    • 2,795 Posts
    • 1,442 Thanks
    peterbaker
    I see Co-op have closed down their online form:
    "PPI Deadline 29 August 2019
    The FCA set a deadline to complain about PPI of 29 August 2019. As this date has passed, you are no longer able to check if you had PPI or complain about the sale of a PPI product.

However, if a situation prevented you from being able to enquire or complain about the sale of your PPI product prior to the deadline, the Bank may choose review your sale. If you submit a complaint, you must provide details of your circumstances in step 5, ‘About the PPI sale’, by using our online form below.

The Bank requires all information available to assess whether we choose to review your sale."
    MBNA too:
    Section A - Reasons for your submission
    The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) set a deadline of 29 August 2019 to complain about PPI. As this date has passed, there are only a small number of scenarios where we may still look at a PPI complaint.

These include:

Exceptional Circumstances

We can consider your complaint if you provide us with any exceptional circumstances that explain why you made the complaint after 29 August 2019.

Declined Claim

If you made a claim on your PPI policy that was live after 29 August 2017 and the claim was rejected in part or in full.

If you think either of these options apply to your PPI complaint, use the box below to tell us about this. Please provide as much detail as you can, including any relevant dates. If you need any help with the form, please call 0800 917 6592.
    Same with Lloyds:
    "How to make a PPI complaint after 29 August 2019
    Even though the PPI deadline has passed, there are a small number of scenarios where we may still look at a PPI complaint submitted after the PPI deadline. These include:

Exceptional Circumstances
    If the reason you did not complain before the deadline is due to exceptional circumstances. This means something really important happened. Such as, you were seriously ill for an extended period before the deadline.

Declined Claim
    If you made a claim on your PPI policy that was live after 29 August 2017 and the claim was rejected.

If you think your PPI complaint falls into one of the above scenarios, you can make a PPI complaint by using our online complaint form."
    RBS have pulled theirs despite the outages earlier:
    "The PPI complaints deadline has passed
    The FCA set a deadline of 29 August 2019 for PPI complaints.

Generally, if you didn’t make a complaint on or before 29 August 2019, you can no longer claim money back for PPI by complaining to us or the Financial Ombudsman Service.

However, you may be able to complain after the deadline if there is a significant reason or exceptional circumstance as to why you couldn’t complain before this date.

For further information regarding exceptional circumstances, the Financial Ombudsman Service has more on this on their website."
    Barclays original page still seems to be up ... as does HSBC ...

Oh well ... it's late let's see whose are still up in the morning, if any ...
    Last edited by peterbaker; 30-08-2019 at 12:45 AM.
    • brettcta
    • By brettcta 30th Aug 19, 12:54 AM
    • 3,718 Posts
    • 3,555 Thanks
    brettcta
    Regardless of any running overnight, they can quite rightly reject them if they’re received after midnight.
    helpful tips
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    • Bermonia
    • By Bermonia 30th Aug 19, 8:28 AM
    • 857 Posts
    • 772 Thanks
    Bermonia
    I don't work for a CMC but I know insurance and I also worked for a large retail bank and complained powerfully in the bank about what I discovered was happening almost from the outset. Our banks have been controlled by crooks for decades, and the regulators and government are disgracefully soft. Accusing me of ranting because I can say so with authority is what is silly.
    Sounds like the ramblings of a disgruntled employee Ďaskedí to leave their employ
    • peterbaker
    • By peterbaker 30th Aug 19, 9:47 AM
    • 2,795 Posts
    • 1,442 Thanks
    peterbaker
    Sounds like the ramblings of a disgruntled employee Ďaskedí to leave their employ
    Originally posted by Bermonia
    I'd admit to rumblings rather than ramblings. Then it's exactly that if you like. Are you surprised? They started down that trail within weeks of me joining. We are talking of a big bank having its methods seriously questioned from within. I left under agreed terms over two years later almost exactly to the day that Martin's campaign caused the banks to finally fold in the courts. Guess why it took so long? They were so in the wrong. It was quite a journey. They like to employ special compliant types and sometimes they get far more than they bargained for both inside and outside their employ.
    • cashbackking1979
    • By cashbackking1979 30th Aug 19, 4:27 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    cashbackking1979
    I'm now confused. I've never taken out PPI, as I saw that it was unnecessary in my circumstances.

But what's to stop anyone claiming they had a PPI product 20 or more years ago?

I certainly wouldn't keep records that long, and I think financial institutions only keep them for 6 years....

Is this a carte blanche case of making up claims and getting big payouts?
    Originally posted by keiran
    No. You can't invent something that didn't happen.

Banks often do have evidence that goes quite far back surprisingly.

I work at the FOS and where people are making spurious claims the lender will just say they can't find any record of PPI and show us screenshots proving this. Then the complaint is just binned effectively.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 30th Aug 19, 6:02 PM
    • 2,512 Posts
    • 2,976 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    I'm now confused. I've never taken out PPI, as I saw that it was unnecessary in my circumstances.

I certainly wouldn't keep records that long, and I think financial institutions only keep them for 6 years....

Is this a carte blanche case of making up claims and getting big payouts?
    My old former bank had enough information from nearly 20 years ago.

Don't forget that if people can't remember anything from the time it was taken out then there is little chance of a 'big payout', it's not taken as gospel that PPI was sold/missold without some information to support the Complaints.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 30th Aug 19, 10:12 PM
    • 24,903 Posts
    • 14,421 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Well the deadline yesterday has effectively stopped all PPI complaints regardless of whether they have any validity...
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 12th Oct 19, 11:05 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    Confession: I don't believe I've ever even had PPI, but I've put in a speculative claim to Nationwide just in case they sold me a policy with my long-cleared mortgage 20 years ago. Not expecting anything, but I was a lot less financially-savvy back then so who knows.
    Originally posted by Fingerbobs
    I've just had a letter from Nationwide confirming receipt of my complaint, and stating that I have had PPI. However, I don't believe it. I suspect it's a standard boilerplate letter sent out to all complainants. Still not expecting anything.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Oct 19, 11:13 PM
    • 24,072 Posts
    • 26,785 Thanks
    zx81
    I suspect it's a standard boilerplate letter sent out to all complainants.
    It's not. .
    • SonOf
    • By SonOf 13th Oct 19, 12:27 AM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 2,021 Thanks
    SonOf
    I've just had a letter from Nationwide confirming receipt of my complaint, and stating that I have had PPI. However, I don't believe it. I suspect it's a standard boilerplate letter sent out to all complainants. Still not expecting anything.
    To be blunt, it doesn't matter what you think, there is no evidence to support your views based on the number of Nationwide cases that result in redress. I assume the bit I have highlighted was a typo.
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 13th Oct 19, 11:48 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    It's not. .
    Originally posted by zx81
    Yes it is. Having read the letter again, I'm certain it's a standard letter. It consists of two pages of very general information covering the possibility that I raised the complaint myself or that they raised the complaint on my behalf, and is not personalised to my case in any way, aside from the reference number at the top.
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 13th Oct 19, 11:50 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    To be blunt, it doesn't matter what you think, there is no evidence to support your views based on the number of Nationwide cases that result in redress. I assume the bit I have highlighted was a typo.
    Originally posted by SonOf
    Sorry, I'm lost. What "views" are you referring to speficically? I don't recall expressing any views.

There is no typo.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,225Posts Today

9,069Users online

Martin's Twitter