Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Julio72
    • By Julio72 23rd Aug 19, 11:07 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Julio72
    0 WOW
    Thoughts on Lidl?
    • 23rd Aug 19, 11:07 AM
    0 WOW
    Thoughts on Lidl? 23rd Aug 19 at 11:07 AM
    I have been shopping at Tesco for the past few years but recently I have been trying to save money and decided that I would switch supermarket to save a bit more money each month. I have seen that Lidl is the cheapest supermarket and I was wondering if anyone has any experience shopping there? I've heard the quality isn't as great but I'm not really too fussy when it comes to food so I don't think I would mind so much.

Page 2
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 5th Sep 19, 1:24 PM
    • 7,067 Posts
    • 19,917 Thanks
    Doc N
    I have been shopping at Tesco for the past few years but recently I have been trying to save money and decided that I would switch supermarket to save a bit more money each month. I have seen that Lidl is the cheapest supermarket and I was wondering if anyone has any experience shopping there? I've heard the quality isn't as great but I'm not really too fussy when it comes to food so I don't think I would mind so much.

Originally posted by Julio72
    Thoughts on Lidl? Every bit as good as Tesco but about 30% cheaper. Pretty much the same products, from the same suppliers, and certainly not in any way inferior to Tesco.

Very long checkout queues though, because they're trying to force people to use their automated checkouts, which are diabolical and simply don't work properly. They're far too slow and far too prone to calling over an assistant to sort them out.

Aldi has very similar prices and much better customer service. It also tries to appeal to Waitrose customers (very successfully) while Lidl remains more downmarket. No more downmarket than Tesco, Asda and Morrisons though.

Lidl also scores much worse than Aldi in Which? for customer service. I'd agree - in our local Lidl the staff make little attempt to communicate with customers and are sometimes downright rude.

You'll gather that I much prefer Aldi, but we do still use Lidl. Forget Tesco and the others though - unless you like paying a third more for much the same thing.
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 5th Sep 19, 10:59 PM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    The main difference between Lidl (and Aldi) and Tesco is their ethos, Tesco are geared towards getting the maximum they can out of each customer that walks through the door consequently they want them to spend as much time as possible in the store whereas Lidl are geared to getting as many customers as possible through their stores and consequently want each customer to spend as little time as possible in the store.

I know which kind I prefer and then you add on how much cheaper they are......

........and then there is the middle aisle
    Originally posted by martinthebandit
    I get in & out of Tesco faster than I do in Aldi.
    The queues in Aldi are horrendous.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 5th Sep 19, 11:04 PM
    • 2,726 Posts
    • 2,365 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Originally posted by Zero Sum

Whereas my local aldi opens a till if there is anyone who cannot get on the conveyor.

Lidl, whereas I do like it they do not like to open tills even it 3 are queueing at the back. Horrible to go at peak times. I mean like 20 mins to get though a till!

Tesco, not one near. I go to a local but that is different. And TBH I find tesco the most expensive these days (there is one near work). And I mean more expensive than say M&S or Waitrose (which are only expensive becuase they have damn nice things the others do not even stock, go like for like and they are cheaper (especially waitrose)).
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 6th Sep 19, 6:35 AM
    • 7,067 Posts
    • 19,917 Thanks
    Doc N
    Originally posted by Zero Sum
    Like the other poster, I never have to queue at Aldi. Unlike Lidl, where they don't give a damn, Aldi always put staff straight into tills if anyone's waiting.

Have you not been back for a while perhaps?

We can do a full Aldi shop inside 15 minutes. Tesco takes three times that and charges 30% more. No thanks.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 6th Sep 19, 8:48 AM
    • 8,770 Posts
    • 7,666 Thanks
    Norman Castle

Lidl, whereas I do like it they do not like to open tills even it 3 are queueing at the back. Horrible to go at peak times. I mean like 20 mins to get though a till!

Originally posted by Carrot007
    "Lidl" is German for compulsory queue.

I stopped shopping there because of the queue. Any till with less than 3 people waiting was closed.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 6th Sep 19, 7:32 PM
    • 1,569 Posts
    • 2,486 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    I prefer Aldi - unlike Tesco, all of their meat is sourced from the UK.
    Originally posted by JGB1955
    Interesting..... is that a new thing?

When Aldi was selling horse meat in its burgers I wonder where they were getting it as there are no (to my knowledge) certified horse abattoirs for human consumption in the U.K.

Which reminds me.... was it Aldi or Lidl that was putting donkey in the salami?? As per the horse abattoirs not sure if there are any donkey ones here either so can’t be 100% UK

Edit: just been told that they were Spanish or maybe Polish donkeys..... which I guess makes sense as UK donkeys would be on the beach giving children’s rides which I’m sure would make them too tough for salami.
    Last edited by Mr_Singleton; 06-09-2019 at 7:54 PM.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 6th Sep 19, 7:53 PM
    • 7,067 Posts
    • 19,917 Thanks
    Doc N
    Interesting..... is that a new thing?

When Aldi was selling horse meat in its burgers I wonder where they were getting it as there are no (to my knowledge) certified horse abattoirs for human consumption in the U.K.

Which reminds me.... was it Aldi or Lidl that was putting donkey in the salami?? As per the horse abattoirs not sure if there are any donkey ones here either so canít be 100% UK
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    May I suggest you Google the words Tesco and horsemeat. I'm sure you'd like to be aware of all the facts, rather than your biased edited version.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 6th Sep 19, 8:07 PM
    • 1,569 Posts
    • 2,486 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    JGB1955 stated that Aldi meat was 100% from the U.K. unlike Tesco. As the UK produces no horse meat for human consumption somebody is telling fibs!
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 6th Sep 19, 8:11 PM
    • 13,620 Posts
    • 16,690 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    JGB1955 stated that Aldi meat was 100% from the U.K. unlike Tesco. As the UK produces no horse meat for human consumption somebody is telling fibs!
    The horsemeat scandal was 2013, and Aldi's UK meat policy is more recent than that.

No one is "telling fibs".

Personally, I still have doubts about the horsemeat scandal (mainly the sheer amount of horsemeat that would have been required to adulterate large volumes of meat products to levels in excess of 60%).
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 06-09-2019 at 8:14 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 6th Sep 19, 8:30 PM
    • 3,736 Posts
    • 3,152 Thanks
    Sharon87
    I shopped in Aldi for the first time since I was a kid recently. I got so much good food. I got free range chicken for much cheaper than the regular supermarkets. I don't know how they can charge so cheaply for it.

I had a whole conveyerbelt's worth of food and it came to £29. It was mostly fresh food. The salad bags were cheap and lasted the same amount of time than Sainsburys ones.

I went Sunday afternoon and it was a bit busy in store, but didn't have to queue much at the checkout. As I arrive, one person was paying as one other person was loading their food. So not too long of a wait.

I'll definitely be going back at some point - maybe every other week. It's worth the £3 bus journey - I save a lot more than that on the food!
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 6th Sep 19, 8:52 PM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 17,216 Thanks
    worried jim
    "Lidl" is German for compulsory queue.

I stopped shopping there because of the queue. Any till with less than 3 people waiting was closed.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    Luckily for me they are very close by and I am there @ 08:00 as they open on Friday morning, big shop done and home by 08:20. I wouldn't go another time of day, often when I leave the car park has 2-3 spaces left by 08:20, especially on a Saturday. No issues with the tills- shop like a man, pay like a man, no fannying about for me.
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 6th Sep 19, 9:16 PM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    Whereas my local aldi opens a till if there is anyone who cannot get on the conveyor.

Tesco, not one near. I go to a local but that is different. And TBH I find tesco the most expensive these days (there is one near work). And I mean more expensive than say M&S or Waitrose (which are only expensive becuase they have damn nice things the others do not even stock, go like for like and they are cheaper (especially waitrose)).
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    But theres 6 people at the conveyor all with full trolly of stuff = big queue

Sainsburys is more expensive than Tesco.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 6th Sep 19, 9:16 PM
    • 12,305 Posts
    • 32,835 Thanks
    suki1964
    Our Lidl is lovely, will be even nicer when it opens its new long awaited store

Our meat and fish is all Northern Irish and I have never as yet had a bit of meat that wasn't good, and a hell of a lot cheaper then Tesco

Most of the Deli goods are from NI as well, along with the Bakery and produce ( obviously not stuff thats not grown here ). Fish is from Eire and a lot of the "specials" are from there

Ours being a small store, it only has 4 checkouts and only ever 4 staff on at a time, but they open tills if theres 3 waiting to load their shopping. We don't have self checkouts here yet so cant respond about those. What I do know is our Sainsburys only ever has 2 checkouts open ( out of 16 manned tills) which forces you to use the 3 self checkouts

I prefer the shopping experience in Lidl, in and out, shopping 90% done, no messing. No spending hours in aisles comparing prices and products, they have what they have, buy it or go elsewhere - simple
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 6th Sep 19, 9:21 PM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    Like the other poster, I never have to queue at Aldi. Unlike Lidl, where they don't give a damn, Aldi always put staff straight into tills if anyone's waiting.

Have you not been back for a while perhaps?

We can do a full Aldi shop inside 15 minutes. Tesco takes three times that and charges 30% more. No thanks.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Went last week. Its always the same.
    And when they open another till it takes 10 mins for staff member to actually turn up.
    And like for like they dont charge 30% more. Basics like eggs & milk are the same price.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 6th Sep 19, 9:32 PM
    • 1,569 Posts
    • 2,486 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    I got free range chicken for much cheaper than the regular supermarkets. I don't know how they can charge so cheaply for it.
    Originally posted by Sharon87
    You know full well how they do it.... chickens are raised in utterly barbaric conditions, workers are are abused etc etc.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 6th Sep 19, 9:42 PM
    • 13,620 Posts
    • 16,690 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    You know full well how they do it.... chickens are raised in utterly barbaric conditions, workers are are abused etc etc.
    Unless you have evidence I'd prefer that you don't make accusations like that.
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 6th Sep 19, 9:43 PM
    • 7,067 Posts
    • 19,917 Thanks
    Doc N
    Presumably you're yet another Tesco worker hacked off by the impact of Aldi and Lidl.

For the record though that's not how they do it. Highly efficient retailing and a much smaller range of goods is how they do it. And much lower margins.
    • tallmansix
    • By tallmansix 6th Sep 19, 10:50 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    tallmansix
    decided that I would switch supermarket
    Originally posted by Julio72
    Supermarkets aren't like energy suppliers where you switch from one exclusive supplier to another, the savviest shopping comes from using a range of several supermarket for their individual strengths rather than exclusively using just a single supermarket.

I use Tesco, Iceland, Asda, Morrisons Sainsburys, M&S, Aldi and Lidl when required and rotate around 2-3 different ones per week to get different products and different deals.

I find the small range of goods and short BB dates in Aldi and Lidl a problem sometimes along with the lack of brand name goods but there are some savings to be made.

Not everything is as it seems though, last week for example I picked up a 6 pack of apples in Aldi that were cheaper than the same type in Tesco and quickly put them back when I saw how small they were in comparison.

Having a prepared shopping list and and a good memory for prices is my best tool for saving money on the weekly shop - in particular understanding £/kg rather than pack price which can be misleading when comparing goods across the supermarkets.

My current favourites:
    Tesco - most convenient for shop and scan and stuffing the till with random coupons to save money and 10p off a litre of fuel which saves another £10 a month.
    Iceland warehouse - bulk buys and brand name frozen goods
    Morrisons - had 10% cashback recently through Nat West

I'm fortunate to get a discount at all except Aldi/Lidl through my employer, 4% at Tesco then clubcard points make it up to 7% off. Asda 4%, Sainsbury 5% and both Iceland /M&S 7.5% off so Lidl and Aldi are usually bottom of my list.
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 6th Sep 19, 10:53 PM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    Presumably you're yet another Tesco worker hacked off by the impact of Aldi and Lidl.

For the record though that's not how they do it. Highly efficient retailing and a much smaller range of goods is how they do it. And much lower margins.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Im not sure. They have less staff so do save on that, but they also have more (and smaller) stores. Where I live Tesco have a metro store in city centre, and big store on retail park. In the same area Aldi have 4 stores. Is that efficient?
    Also self service, why dont Aldi have these? Surely theyre more efficient?
    And if they did, people like me who only go in for bits & bobs who dont wish to stand in big queues might go in more often. As their cattle market approach puts me off from going there.
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 6th Sep 19, 11:09 PM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    Supermarkets aren't like energy suppliers where you switch from one exclusive supplier to another, the savviest shopping comes from using a range of several supermarket for their individual strengths rather than exclusively using just a single supermarket.

I use Tesco, Iceland, Asda, Morrisons Sainsburys, M&S, Aldi and Lidl when required and rotate around 2-3 different ones per week to get different products and different deals.

I find the small range of goods and short BB dates in Aldi and Lidl a problem sometimes along with the lack of brand name goods but there are some savings to be made.

Not everything is as it seems though, last week for example I picked up a 6 pack of apples in Aldi that were cheaper than the same type in Tesco and quickly put them back when I saw how small they were in comparison.

Having a prepared shopping list and and a good memory for prices is my best tool for saving money on the weekly shop - in particular understanding £/kg rather than pack price which can be misleading when comparing goods across the supermarkets.

My current favourites:
    Tesco - most convenient for shop and scan and stuffing the till with random coupons to save money and 10p off a litre of fuel which saves another £10 a month.
    Iceland warehouse - bulk buys and brand name frozen goods
    Morrisons - had 10% cashback recently through Nat West

I'm fortunate to get a discount at all except Aldi/Lidl through my employer, 4% at Tesco then clubcard points make it up to 7% off. Asda 4%, Sainsbury 5% and both Iceland /M&S 7.5% off so Lidl and Aldi are usually bottom of my list.
    Originally posted by tallmansix
    Similar for me.
    Although if its the same savings scheme i have, the iceland one isnt available for me???
    Tesco seems to fluctuate between 4 & 5%. On top of that i can generate free clubcard points from cash recycling via their current account
    And occasionally have had 10% for morrisons via Halifax

I honestly dont think Aldi/Lidl are anywhere as cheap as they/people make out.
    There are some decent bargains to be had, but the quality is hit & miss (especially with longevity on fresh stuff). And to prove it, if you ever watch programmes like shop well for less, on the blind taste tests their products generally get voted in the middle. So not really anything special.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,526Posts Today

7,223Users online

Martin's Twitter