Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 27th May 19, 12:22 AM
    • 3,256Posts
    • 1,161Thanks
    trinidadone
    Cat Litter tray - how freq do you change it?
    • 27th May 19, 12:22 AM
    Cat Litter tray - how freq do you change it? 27th May 19 at 12:22 AM
    I have a litter tray and daily i try to pic out the solids, and turn the litter over to soak up the urine, but i was wondering, how freq do you change the litter in the litter tray?
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
Page 2
    • auldblerk
    • By auldblerk 27th May 19, 8:16 PM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 1,290 Thanks
    auldblerk
    witrh clumping litter, do you still change once a week?
    Originally posted by trinidadone
    Do you mean throw out all the litter in the tray once a week ?
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 27th May 19, 8:35 PM
    • 18,849 Posts
    • 40,457 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Our cat has a tray but uses it once in a blue moon.
    Can go months between uses ....
    Weekly Distance Walked 19km / Total For Year 1290 km

Quod scripsi, scripsi
    • BreconBlodwin
    • By BreconBlodwin 27th May 19, 8:42 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    BreconBlodwin
    I have a litter tray and daily i try to pic out the solids, and turn the litter over to soak up the urine, but i was wondering, how freq do you change the litter in the litter tray?
    You sir, if you don't mind me saying so, have a touch of class about you.

I'd like to say I'd do the same but since I've been putting upright newspaper cuttings of Vince Cable or Layla Moran in the tray my moggie has been twice as regular therefore making my attempts, at most, futile.
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 27th May 19, 9:58 PM
    • 3,256 Posts
    • 1,161 Thanks
    trinidadone
    Do you mean throw out all the litter in the tray once a week ?
    Originally posted by auldblerk
    Yes, i mean through out the old litter and apply fresh new litter
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
    • ben501
    • By ben501 28th May 19, 7:09 AM
    • 598 Posts
    • 987 Thanks
    ben501
    witrh clumping litter, do you still change once a week?
    I'd say it still depends on the type of litter. One of my cats' trays has Golden Grey, and that clumps so well there's no need to change the rest. Just empty the clean litter into another tray occasionally to give the tray a wash. It still looks (and smells) like new litter.
    • auldblerk
    • By auldblerk 28th May 19, 7:26 AM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 1,290 Thanks
    auldblerk
    I'd say it still depends on the type of litter. One of my cats' trays has Golden Grey, and that clumps so well there's no need to change the rest. Just empty the clean litter into another tray occasionally to give the tray a wash. It still looks (and smells) like new litter.
    Originally posted by ben501
    Agree, I was going to state that too, not necessary to throw the rest out.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 28th May 19, 7:33 AM
    • 13,648 Posts
    • 16,726 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Thread moved to Pets & Pet Care.
    I'm a Board Guide on the The Money Savers Arms, Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there.

Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • SallyDucati
    • By SallyDucati 28th May 19, 3:53 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    SallyDucati
    I use Catsan non-clumping. 2 cats, 2 trays. I pick out the solids daily (or more if I'm in) and completely replace at least twice a week. I use Catsan as I've found it controls the smell much better than clumping stuff- I've never heard of 'Golden Grey' though?
    • TripleH
    • By TripleH 28th May 19, 4:48 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    TripleH
    3 indoor cats, one space ship, poo removed daily, full change twice a week.

That works for us, our oldest would let us know if she is dissatisfied with service (or we forget to empty).
    Wherever you go, whatever you do Richard Marx is right there waiting for you.

Sweet dreams!
    • Blinkyspears21
    • By Blinkyspears21 29th May 19, 5:58 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Blinkyspears21
    We try to change our litter tray daily because if we don't and our kitties smell their tray not so clean anymore, they pee on our rags because they think they are similar to the litter trays.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 29th May 19, 11:33 AM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 7,592 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Must say I hate the smell of cat litter trays, which is why I have a dog who 'goes' outside

I though cats liked going outside by choice.
    Originally posted by melbury

Fussy madam has access to the garden when we are around for back up. However, when she needs to 'go' she runs back into the house to use her litter tray. She's way too much of a lady to do her business in public !
    • SallyDucati
    • By SallyDucati 29th May 19, 11:47 AM
    • 211 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    SallyDucati
    Fussy madam has access to the garden when we are around for back up. However, when she needs to 'go' she runs back into the house to use her litter tray. She's way too much of a lady to do her business in public !
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    Mine are fussy too!
    • TripleH
    • By TripleH 29th May 19, 1:44 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    TripleH
    Our oldest one is very fussy, you pee at the front and poo at the back of the tray. She has taught our middle one the correct procedure but sadly her brother is not well trained (at least he does do it in the tray so we should be grateful for small mercies).

We have only had 1 wet accident out the litter tray and that was when our middle one was a kitten, got over excited and wet the our bed.

I suspect the solid 'accidents' are to inform us we have forgotten to empty the tray and are being informed of this.
    Wherever you go, whatever you do Richard Marx is right there waiting for you.

Sweet dreams!
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 29th May 19, 2:45 PM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 7,592 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Our oldest one is very fussy, you pee at the front and poo at the back of the tray. She has taught our middle one the correct procedure but sadly her brother is not well trained (at least he does do it in the tray so we should be grateful for small mercies).

We have only had 1 wet accident out the litter tray and that was when our middle one was a kitten, got over excited and wet the our bed.

I suspect the solid 'accidents' are to inform us we have forgotten to empty the tray and are being informed of this.
    Originally posted by TripleH

I thought if was only our fussy madam who did that !
    • charlotte1994
    • By charlotte1994 29th May 19, 4:08 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    charlotte1994
    Cats don't like it if the litter tray gets too dirty, they also don't like the feel of the clumps as it can get stuck between their toes. I do mine every 2 days (depending). We have 3 litter trays and 2 cats. One of the trays is hardly ever used, one is used all the time. So the one which is hardly used is cleaned every few days.
    • notclover
    • By notclover 3rd Oct 19, 10:48 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    notclover
    We used to have a cat and I'd clean out our her litter tray almost daily! If not, then every other day. She's a fussy (but still lovable) one. I really miss her, though.
    • pinkteapot
    • By pinkteapot 8th Oct 19, 9:54 AM
    • 6,690 Posts
    • 8,786 Thanks
    pinkteapot
    We only do a full change once every three months!

Cat's Best clumping litter. Only one cat and two trays. We scoop daily and top up the litter when it starts getting low.

Full change and tray-clean once every three months.

The litter recommends a full change every 8 weeks but as we've only one cat using two trays we do it less often.

We make sure the litter's deep enough that the pee balls don't touch the bottom of the tray, so once scooped out they don't leave pee residue on the tray, if you see what I mean.
    • gettingready
    • By gettingready 9th Oct 19, 12:20 AM
    • 11,005 Posts
    • 16,367 Thanks
    gettingready
    The 'rule' is actually one litter tray for each cat then +1. So one cat should have 2, two cats should have 3.
    Originally posted by Trina90
    Yeah.. this way I should have 7. Who has space for that?

No idea where that "rule" came from (cat litter boxes manufacturers?) but my 6 happily share one box if/when needed. I just scoop all the time to make sure it is clean for them.
    • ben501
    • By ben501 9th Oct 19, 10:29 AM
    • 598 Posts
    • 987 Thanks
    ben501
    Cats will stop using the litter tray if you do not keep it clean.
    Originally posted by donnac2558

Following a recent find, I have to disagree with this. My two have 3 trays to choose from, one with generic clumping litter, one with non clumping, and one with Golden Grey.

I've just been out to find a plastic trough for some winter bedding plants. I located one from last winter that's been hidden away for the last 6 months. It was only hidden away from me. The cats have been using it on occasion as a litter tray. To make it worse they never buried their deposits. To say it was festering would be an understatement.

I can only assume that even though they have a selection of trays to use, they've discovered this extra 'tray' and decided that it's a suitable alternative, despite it's condition. It had been used recently too, new piled on old, so they really don't care about 'clean'.

I wonder what they'll do now I've reclaimed it for it's proper use.
    • GreenQueen
    • By GreenQueen 9th Oct 19, 1:19 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 2,260 Thanks
    GreenQueen
    I wonder what they'll do now I've reclaimed it for it's proper use.
    Originally posted by ben501
    keep using it?!
    A Clutter Free Life - 2019 in 2019 - 558/2019
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

873Posts Today

7,088Users online

Martin's Twitter