Cat Litter tray - how freq do you change it?

Comments

• Trina90
    Trina90 Posts: 541
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 27 May 2019 at 2:46PM
    _shel wrote: »
    !!!!!! to the rules. I have 4 cats, 3 trays and they mostly go outside!
    OK if you have outdoor cats I guess - I have indoor cats! Plus some cats are just fussier than others (I don't even follow the rule myself.. I have 2 cats, 2 litter trays!.. but then one of mine does have accidents every now and then so think I'm gonna have to follow it soon, or risk ruined flooring!)
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000 2016: £130,000 2017: £116,000 2018: £105,000 2019: £88,000 2020: £69,000 2021: £51,195 2023: MORTGAGE FREE!
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,249
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Must say I hate the smell of cat litter trays, which is why I have a dog who 'goes' outside;)

I though cats liked going outside by choice.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• Trina90
    Trina90 Posts: 541
    Forumite
    melbury wrote: »
    Must say I hate the smell of cat litter trays, which is why I have a dog who 'goes' outside;)

My childhood cat never had a litter tray. She just went outside to go.

My boys don't go out because of their weird breed. They are Ragdolls, which don't fare well as outdoor cats.
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000 2016: £130,000 2017: £116,000 2018: £105,000 2019: £88,000 2020: £69,000 2021: £51,195 2023: MORTGAGE FREE!
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,609
    Forumite

Then you have gardeners complaining about cats crapping in their gardens. So you pick up your dog sh*t smell and all without a problem.
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

My moggie has the freedom to go out 24 / 7 as she has access, so it might sound bizarre to you that she has a litter tray. My cat use to the back gardens to do her business, but once a few new families moved into the street with cats, she did not feel confident or comfortable to do so. I had to introduce a littler tray to her, or i would of received lots of packages in the home.
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • auldblerk
    auldblerk Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Ditto. We use Cat's Best litter - not the cheapest, but it clumps well so all the pee is removed, and what's left doesn't smell.

I'm sure if we used a non-clumping litter, and just spread the pee around, fussy madam wouldn't go near it !

Same here and I use the same litter, 'cat's best', I clean the stuff up daily and as immediate as possible otherwise you're asking for trouble !

I wouldn't let my cat out here, somebody would eat it
  • trinidadone
    Forumite
    what are the differences in cat litter, apart from the price and colourful packaging???
  • auldblerk
    I recommend clumping litter as what has been previously mentioned, the pee usually turns into a ball-like lump and you simply scoop it up and dispose; similarly, the poo can be scooped and thus only getting rid of the minimal amount of litter each time
  • trinidadone
    Forumite
    witrh clumping litter, do you still change once a week?
  • auldblerk
    witrh clumping litter, do you still change once a week?

Do you mean throw out all the litter in the tray once a week ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure