Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 17th Feb 19, 7:51 PM
    • 3,473Posts
    • 4,958Thanks
    ceredigion
    Santander Refer a Friend
    • 17th Feb 19, 7:51 PM
    Santander Refer a Friend 17th Feb 19 at 7:51 PM
    The Santander referral code scheme is back.
    https://www.santanderreferafriend.co.uk/terms.php

Just going through the terms and looks like a couple can refer each other five times
Page 2
    • colsten
    • By colsten 18th Feb 19, 7:58 PM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,440 Thanks
    colsten
    I would recommend people save copy of the version of the T&Cs on the day they request their switch. I don't think Santander would change them mid-offer but better to be on the safe side in case they did.

Also, make sure your codes are at least a day old before your friend requests a switch, and don't request a switch today as there's a bit of an odd clause saying "to be valid a Code must have been generated prior to the date the Friend applied for the Current Account Switch".
    • pphillips
    • By pphillips 18th Feb 19, 8:02 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    pphillips
    It is.
    If it doesn't say you can't, you can.
    Originally posted by ceredigion
    Yes, sorry, thatís what I meant.
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 18th Feb 19, 8:57 PM
    • 1,008 Posts
    • 675 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    How many people can I refer?

You can refer up to five people per year......

Can one people be five persons five times?

Terrible drafting or Santander don't care as long as they 'buy' more switchers and they are willing to pay £50 per people person.

Worth a try I suppose, doubt they care as long as they get the switchers, otherwise they would offer more that £50 a pretty low incentive and demand direct debits.

It's a switcher lite offer.
    • pphillips
    • By pphillips 18th Feb 19, 10:23 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    pphillips
    How many people can I refer?

You can refer up to five people per year......

Can one people be five persons five times?

Terrible drafting or Santander don't care as long as they 'buy' more switchers and they are willing to pay £50 per people person.

Worth a try I suppose, doubt they care as long as they get the switchers, otherwise they would offer more that £50 a pretty low incentive and demand direct debits.

It's a switcher lite offer.
    Originally posted by Yorkshire Pud
    I guess they've just got masses of amazon vouchers to shift that they bought at knockdown prices. If Santander don't care then I guess I don't either (as long as i get the vouchers)
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 18th Feb 19, 11:29 PM
    • 1,008 Posts
    • 675 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    I guess they've just got masses of amazon vouchers to shift that they bought at knockdown prices. If Santander don't care then I guess I don't either (as long as i get the vouchers)
    Originally posted by pphillips
    One fly in the ointment. In my experience Santander are very hot on not letting folks open multiple current accounts and so decline applications after the second account has been opened. Their online application process picks this up or did in my case in the past.

If you want to switch five external accounts into just one existing Santander account, well who knows!

If you close all the newly opened accounts then you are no longer a customer so can't refer or you still have an account so don't need a second after you just closed your second account recently.
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 19th Feb 19, 1:15 AM
    • 792 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    whats a ynab
    Originally posted by runaroundpauper
    You Need A Budget, a budgeting app.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.

Pedant point: There is no such word or construction as "I's", the word to use is "my".
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 19th Feb 19, 10:07 AM
    • 7,929 Posts
    • 9,935 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    I think its better for people just to do/try to do what they would like to do and see what outcome is without continually speculating on Public Forum what outcome might be or cast one's mind back to what ever experience he/she had in the past re opening multiple accounts, lets face it others could cast minds back to when was very easy to open multiple accounts with certain current account providers including Santander for incentive reasons.

Some people have great success in opening multiple accounts whereas others dont, speculating on Public Forum wont help positive outcome, it may hinder a positive outcome, companies do read these forums.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 19th Feb 19, 10:46 AM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,440 Thanks
    colsten

Some people have great success in opening multiple accounts whereas others dont, speculating on Public Forum wont help positive outcome, it may hinder a positive outcome, companies do read these forums.
    Originally posted by bristolleedsfan
    hear, hear
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 19th Feb 19, 11:40 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    youngretired
    How long should it take to get your codes sent to you have completing the form? I completed it last night and haven't received anything yet?
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 19th Feb 19, 12:04 PM
    • 7,929 Posts
    • 9,935 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    How long should it take to get your codes sent to you have completing the form? I completed it last night and haven't received anything yet?
    Originally posted by youngretired

Those who filled in the form earlier part of yesterday morning seemingly received codes sometime yesterday afternoon, someone mentioned to me he requested codes yesterday afternoon hadn't received by midday today
    Last edited by bristolleedsfan; 19-02-2019 at 12:09 PM.
    • davethorp
    • By davethorp 19th Feb 19, 12:43 PM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    davethorp
    I requested my codes at about 11:00 yesterday morning. Received them at about 16:00 yesterday afternoon

• soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 19th Feb 19, 4:09 PM
    • 2,545 Posts
    • 1,266 Thanks
    soulsaver
    Filled in the form at just past midnight yesterday and found reply in junk mail timed at 16:37 yesterday.. have you checked?

Bro did paperwork yesterday afternoon, hadn't seen owt lunchtime today.
    • Scrounger
    • By Scrounger 19th Feb 19, 4:21 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    Scrounger
    Q. Do I need to set up any direct debits or pay in a certain amount of money to qualify for the £50 amazon.co.uk gift card?

A. No, provided you complete a CASS switch, ensure your non-Santander account is closed, and meet the other terms of the offer youíll receive the incentive.
    Thankfully, no requirement for DD's makes 'switching' more straightforward for serial switchers.

Scrounger
    • dul50n
    • By dul50n 19th Feb 19, 4:57 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dul50n
    Just received my codes having signed up yesterday evening

The blurb says "Share each one of these unique codes with a different friend or family member....."

Shame I was hoping to refer the wife five times
    • dul50n
    • By dul50n 19th Feb 19, 7:00 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dul50n
    Don't know if I can be bothered with this

It doesn't look like they have an online switching service for existing account holders you have to go into branch, maybe even make an appointment
    • drob4
    • By drob4 19th Feb 19, 7:20 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    drob4

It doesn't look like they have an online switching service for existing account holders you have to go into branch, maybe even make an appointment
    Originally posted by dul50n
    Someone on the previous page switched via telephone.

Does anyone know the tax implications of receiving all these £50 referrals?
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 19th Feb 19, 7:22 PM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 5,306 Thanks
    Zanderman
    Originally posted by drob4
    It's not a £50 referral - it's a £50 Amazon Voucher referral.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 19th Feb 19, 7:34 PM
    • 31,023 Posts
    • 19,027 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    Originally posted by drob4
    I believe HMRC deem them not to be 'ongoing' payments, so are not taxable.
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 19th Feb 19, 8:39 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    youngretired
    I received my codes today about 4pm, the email was in my spam.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 19th Feb 19, 9:09 PM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,440 Thanks
    colsten

Originally posted by dul50n
    If you apply for a new Santander current account online, the switch application is part of it (if you want it to be).

Switching to an existing account can be done on the phone - dedicated switching team 0800-085-2202.

Be prepared to answer random, detailed, questions about your existing Santander account, as part of the ID check. E.g. Exact overdraft limit, the exact amount of one of your last transactions, when did you open the account etc. The whole process should take no more than 10 minutes max though. Obviously, also have the sort code, account number and debit card of the account you want to switch to hand.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

250Posts Today

3,247Users online

Martin's Twitter