Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 17th Feb 19, 7:51 PM
    • 3,461Posts
    • 4,945Thanks
    ceredigion
    Santander Refer a Friend
    • 17th Feb 19, 7:51 PM
    Santander Refer a Friend 17th Feb 19 at 7:51 PM
    The Santander referral code scheme is back.
    https://www.santanderreferafriend.co.uk/terms.php

Just going through the terms and looks like a couple can refer each other five times
Page 1
    • colsten
    • By colsten 17th Feb 19, 10:29 PM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    colsten
    • 17th Feb 19, 10:29 PM
    • 17th Feb 19, 10:29 PM
    Also looks as if existing Santander customers can be referred, and you can switch into an existing Santander account.

FAQ: https://www.santanderreferafriend.co.uk/faqs.php
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 17th Feb 19, 11:50 PM
    • 786 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    • 17th Feb 19, 11:50 PM
    • 17th Feb 19, 11:50 PM
    Ooh, this looks good. I've got a spare account I could use for this, and get the OH to refer me.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.

Pedant point: There is no such word or construction as "I's", the word to use is "my".
    • pphillips
    • By pphillips 18th Feb 19, 12:20 AM
    • 614 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    pphillips
    • 18th Feb 19, 12:20 AM
    • 18th Feb 19, 12:20 AM
    Just going through the terms and looks like a couple can refer each other five times
    Originally posted by ceredigion
    Can we get confirmation on whether Santander will give out £500 in gift cards to a couple who refer each other 5 times?
    • colsten
    • By colsten 18th Feb 19, 11:37 AM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    colsten
    • 18th Feb 19, 11:37 AM
    • 18th Feb 19, 11:37 AM
    Can we get confirmation on whether Santander will give out £500 in gift cards to a couple who refer each other 5 times?
    Originally posted by pphillips
    Have you read the T&Cs and the FAQ?
    • colsten
    • By colsten 18th Feb 19, 11:40 AM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    colsten
    • 18th Feb 19, 11:40 AM
    • 18th Feb 19, 11:40 AM
    Anyone needing referral codes, you can check on this thread on the referrer's board https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5966162
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 18th Feb 19, 4:23 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    youngretired
    • 18th Feb 19, 4:23 PM
    • 18th Feb 19, 4:23 PM
    Does anyone know if you can switch into an existing account without a visit to the branch from past experiences?

All it says online is that if you open an account then you will be asked during the application process and if a existing customers to go into the branch. I know Barclays required a branch visit but all other banks generally allow an online form or phone call.

I don't think my husband can be bothered to do this incentive if a branch visit is required, we've done all the other switch incentives.
    • pphillips
    • By pphillips 18th Feb 19, 6:04 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    pphillips
    • 18th Feb 19, 6:04 PM
    • 18th Feb 19, 6:04 PM
    Have you read the T&Cs and the FAQ?
    Originally posted by colsten
    Yeah I read them and it doesn't say that it's restricted to one referral per person but my question was if a couple recommended 5 account switches to each other then would Santander actually give them £500 each in gift vouchers?
    • Martin_93
    • By Martin_93 18th Feb 19, 6:22 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Martin_93
    • 18th Feb 19, 6:22 PM
    • 18th Feb 19, 6:22 PM
    Yes you can do the switch into an existing account via the phone , just done it myself call 0800 085 2202
    Last edited by Martin_93; 18-02-2019 at 6:29 PM.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 18th Feb 19, 6:36 PM
    • 31,014 Posts
    • 19,020 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    Yes I'm sure we can, in due course.
    Yeah I read them and it doesn't say that it's restricted to one referral per person but my question was if a couple recommended 5 account switches to each other then would Santander actually give them £500 each in gift vouchers?
    No they wouldn't (are you sure you've "read them"?).
    • pphillips
    • By pphillips 18th Feb 19, 6:41 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    pphillips
    Yes I'm sure we can, in due course.No they wouldn't (are you sure you've "read them"?).
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    Yes I read them twice now, you read them and tell me if you find anything. Santander really should say one referral per person in the terms, otherwise what are their lawyers thinking of?
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 18th Feb 19, 6:59 PM
    • 2,678 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    Ed-1
    Yes I read them twice now, you read them and tell me if you find anything. Santander really should say one referral per person in the terms, otherwise what are their lawyers thinking of?
    I'm with you. I can't see anything in the terms that prohibits the same recommended person using different codes and URNs to qualify multiple times.

The intention is obviously for one code to be used per person but the terms don't appear to rule different codes, same person out:

https://www.santanderreferafriend.co.uk/howitworks

Get your codes

Fill in our form and we’ll send your unique codes to share with your friends and family. You can get up to a maximum 5 unique codes. Use one code per person, each code can only be used once.
    • runaroundpauper
    • By runaroundpauper 18th Feb 19, 7:00 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    runaroundpauper
    Ooh, this looks good. I've got a spare account I could use for this, and get the OH to refer me.
    Originally posted by tempus_fugit

whats a ynab
    • pphillips
    • By pphillips 18th Feb 19, 7:08 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    pphillips
    I'm with you. I can't see anything in the terms that prohibits the same recommended person using different codes and URNs to qualify multiple times.

The intention is obviously for one code to be used per person but the terms don't appear to rule different codes, same person out:

https://www.santanderreferafriend.co.uk/howitworks

Get your codes

Fill in our form and we’ll send your unique codes to share with your friends and family. You can get up to a maximum 5 unique codes. Use one code per person, each code can only be used once.
    Originally posted by Ed-1
    Also I might have several different people refer me to Santander and none of them will know whether or not I have already been referred by someone else.
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 18th Feb 19, 7:27 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    youngretired
    I know if you recommended someone and they switched into a joint account, then the other account holder requested a switch into the same joint account that only 1 of the account holders can get the incentive, as that is in the T&C's.

I would imagine that if you wanted to get 5 incentives then you would have to switch into and open if required 5 different accounts.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 18th Feb 19, 7:29 PM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    colsten
    Perhaps it's worth going back to the basics of T&C reading, and remember that there is as much value in what is not stated as there in what is stated.
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 18th Feb 19, 7:32 PM
    • 2,678 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    Ed-1
    I know if you recommended someone and they switched into a joint account, then the other account holder requested a switch into the same joint account that only 1 of the account holders can get the incentive, as that is in the T&C's.

I would imagine that if you wanted to get 5 incentives then you would have to switch into and open if required 5 different accounts.
    Originally posted by youngretired
    As far as I can see it would just need to be 5 different switches (i.e. URNs). The account is irrelevant as long as it is one of the eligible ones.
    • pphillips
    • By pphillips 18th Feb 19, 7:46 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    pphillips
    Perhaps it's worth going back to the basics of T&C reading, and remember that there is as much value in what is not stated as there in what is stated.
    Originally posted by colsten
    That’s not how terms and conditions work.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 18th Feb 19, 7:48 PM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    colsten
    That's how Terms and Conditions have worked since they were first invented, and that's hundreds if not thousands of years ago!
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 18th Feb 19, 7:58 PM
    • 3,461 Posts
    • 4,945 Thanks
    ceredigion
    It is.
    If it doesn't say you can't, you can.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

122Posts Today

3,113Users online

Martin's Twitter