Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 4th Feb 19, 11:57 AM
    • 13,611Posts
    • 16,673Thanks
    Cornucopia
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)
    • 4th Feb 19, 11:57 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***) 4th Feb 19 at 11:57 AM
    Hi All,

This is the new Lidl and Aldi buying thread. Please report any good/bad deals, good/bad offers and good/bad products.

I've broadened the scope slightly, so that discussion of customer service issues and experiences won't be off-topic. But please remember that the thread works best when it's the sum of our knowledge about Lidl and Aldi, and not other supermarkets.

Thanks.

The old thread is here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5394929
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 10-02-2019 at 9:36 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Feb 19, 6:19 AM
    • 31,353 Posts
    • 65,335 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 10th Feb 19, 6:19 AM
    • 10th Feb 19, 6:19 AM
    Neither food nor grocery, I can highly recommend the Aldi Kirkton House throw blankets. They are super-soft and very warm, so much so that I bought the blanket-with-arms version to keep me nice and toasty working at my desk.

I think the worst of the winter weather is over for 2018/19 but it will get plenty of use in years to come. For c£15 and very low running costs (ie to launder) it's a v good buy.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • nerox
    • By nerox 10th Feb 19, 9:33 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    nerox
    • 10th Feb 19, 9:33 AM
    • 10th Feb 19, 9:33 AM
    Lidl & Aldi cornflakes are both disgusting
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 10th Feb 19, 9:42 AM
    • 13,611 Posts
    • 16,673 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 10th Feb 19, 9:42 AM
    • 10th Feb 19, 9:42 AM
    I stopped by Lidl yesterday to pick up three of the weekend deals that I already know are excellent:

- Deluxe Granola (I draw the line at the chocolate variety, but the Nutty and Berries varieties are very nice).

- Soft Dried Apricots.

- Italian Antipasto Platter.

I tried one of the new Lidl ready meals (the ones like Slimming World) and it was very good. Mine was the Chicken Tikka Masala with Cauliflower Rice. One slightly odd thing (that I hope Lidl might change in due course) is that the main vegetable in the curry is cauliflower. So, overall, a lot of cauliflower in the whole dish, though I suppose you could swap out the cauliflower rice in its separate container for something else and have it later.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 10-02-2019 at 10:09 AM.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 10th Feb 19, 1:04 PM
    • 13,611 Posts
    • 16,673 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 10th Feb 19, 1:04 PM
    • 10th Feb 19, 1:04 PM
    New product at Lidl:

- Alpro Soya Yogurt (500g) - £1.25. I have a feeling that despite being a branded product, this is quite a good price even for the plain variety.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 10-02-2019 at 1:22 PM.

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Feb 19, 5:07 PM
    • 31,353 Posts
    • 65,335 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 10th Feb 19, 5:07 PM
    • 10th Feb 19, 5:07 PM
    I agree that Aldi cornflakes are not tasty, Lidls are ok but no great shakes.
    I stopped by Lidl yesterday to pick up three of the weekend deals that I already know are excellent:

- Deluxe Granola (I draw the line at the chocolate variety, but the Nutty and Berries varieties are very nice).

- Soft Dried Apricots.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Agreed - but my line is drawn after the nut variety. I inspected the content of the pink pack, and its nearly 50% sugar

I'm sure it tastes lovely though, no good for me as I could eat cereal to the exclusion of every other food (and frequently did, as a student).

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 10th Feb 19, 8:42 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 904 Thanks
    PLRFD
    • 10th Feb 19, 8:42 PM
    • 10th Feb 19, 8:42 PM
    I got some nutty granola yesterday and some ouzo from the Greek week section it’s only 50cl but it is nice.
    • CAZBEAR
    • By CAZBEAR 11th Feb 19, 7:53 AM
    • 390 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    CAZBEAR
    • 11th Feb 19, 7:53 AM
    • 11th Feb 19, 7:53 AM
    New product at Lidl:

- Alpro Soya Yogurt (500g) - £1.25. I have a feeling that despite being a branded product, this is quite a good price even for the plain variety.

Yes, it is...... I think I paid £1.60ish in Tesco last week
    Best headline ever on local paper??

"Weight loss group doubles in size"
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 11th Feb 19, 8:33 AM
    • 7,914 Posts
    • 3,933 Thanks
    Stompa
    • 11th Feb 19, 8:33 AM
    • 11th Feb 19, 8:33 AM
    New product at Lidl:

I don't know how it compares, but Aldi have Soyummy soya yogurt (500ml) for 95p.

https://dairyfreekids.ie/product-watch-june-and-july/

Having never had soya yogurt before, I gave it a try last week. It didn't seem very yummy to me, but perhaps I just don't like soya yogurt.
    Stompa
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 11th Feb 19, 9:15 AM
    • 13,611 Posts
    • 16,673 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    ...I inspected the content of the pink pack, and its nearly 50% sugar
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I don't want to put you off, but according to the packs, there's not a huge difference between the two varieties: Nutty is 8.9g of Sugar, and Berries is 9.7g (both per 45g portion, which is quite a meagre serving from my POV).

Unrelated: it seems like there's now some distance between L & A on dried fruit (the snacking packs, not the baking packs). It's slightly difficult to tell because these shelves are very untidy in my local Lidl, but it looks like L has reduced pack sizes to 150g-175g, whilst Aldi still has 300g for around the same price. (Who knows how long that will remain the case, though).
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 11-02-2019 at 9:22 AM.

• sweetcarer
    • By sweetcarer 11th Feb 19, 12:19 PM
    • 1,074 Posts
    • 6,197 Thanks
    sweetcarer
    Is it just mine or is all Lidl shops - has the Sondey(sp?) Breakfast Biscuits been discontinued?
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Feb 19, 2:44 PM
    • 31,353 Posts
    • 65,335 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Any comments on the cottage cheese in either? I bought some the other day from Morrison's, and can't remember it ever being as mild. Many have a bit of a tang to them that they could do without.

• treboeth
    • By treboeth 11th Feb 19, 3:49 PM
    • 1,227 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    treboeth
    Has anyone used the Aldi Ocean Rise tinned pink salmon?
    My mother enjoys John West pink salmon but the price is continuing to rise to the point where she begrudges buying it
    • thedogsmum
    • By thedogsmum 12th Feb 19, 6:27 AM
    • 348 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    thedogsmum
    Any comments on the cottage cheese in either? I bought some the other day from Morrison's, and can't remember it ever being as mild. Many have a bit of a tang to them that they could do without.
    I tried the Lidl, when it was 30% off, and wis I hadnít! Very tangy, which I donít like. Mind you, my favourite is Longley Farm, which isnít tangy at all.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Feb 19, 7:25 AM
    • 31,353 Posts
    • 65,335 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I tried the Lidl, when it was 30% off, and wis I hadnít! Very tangy, which I donít like. Mind you, my favourite is Longley Farm, which isnít tangy at all.
    Originally posted by thedogsmum
    That's exactly what prompted my post (the pineapple version)!

• thedogsmum
    • By thedogsmum 12th Feb 19, 8:16 AM
    • 348 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    thedogsmum
    That's exactly what prompted my post (the pineapple version)!
    I fully expected there to be some sweetness in the pineapple one, but was more than somewhat disappointed....
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Feb 19, 8:30 AM
    • 31,353 Posts
    • 65,335 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I fully expected there to be some sweetness in the pineapple one, but was more than somewhat disappointed....
    Originally posted by thedogsmum
    That's what I liked about it: it didn't feel like I was eating a dessert, nor a pickle

• 2childmum
    • By 2childmum 12th Feb 19, 9:25 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 2,195 Thanks
    2childmum
    I don't want to put you off, but according to the packs, there's not a huge difference between the two varieties: Nutty is 8.9g of Sugar, and Berries is 9.7g (both per 45g portion, which is quite a meagre serving from my POV).

Some of the extra sugar (or maybe all of it) in the pink packet will be from the dried fruit, so it isn't necessarily less healthy
    May spend - £291.40/£320.00
    June spend - £106.40/£320.00
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 14th Feb 19, 2:35 PM
    • 13,611 Posts
    • 16,673 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Some new products at Aldi, today...

- Tuna Chunks in Spring Water (3 x 80g) £1.39

- Vegan Sausages (chilled). Two varieties, 6 sausages. £1.49

- Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. £1.99

I can confirm the "SoYummy" Soya Yogurt mentioned above. 3 varieties (Plain, Vanilla and Blueberry). 95p for 500ml.

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Feb 19, 7:13 PM
    • 31,353 Posts
    • 65,335 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I think I was looking at the ingredient list on the revese, and by quick calculation at the checkout deduced that the sugar content could only be 16% max. The ingredient list on the reverse of the pink packet looked scarier - can't find an image online to verify this though!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

142Posts Today

2,051Users online

Martin's Twitter