Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures
    • 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures 9th Aug 07 at 5:10 PM
    Please report your PPI Reclaiming sucesses/failures here

This thread lists 1000s of stories, click the 'last' link above for the most recent

Not done it yet? Read the full Loan PPI Reclaiming and Credit Card PPI Reclaiming

How to report your success/failure?

1. Click reply to enter you story.

2. Report your story in the following format:
    • What were you reclaiming: (eg. loan, credit card, store card)
    • Who was the provider: (e.g. Capital One, NatWest)
    • How much did you get back: ????
    • Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: ????
    • And then write your brief reclaim tale
    REMEMEBER BY DOING THIS YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE TOO SCARED TO RECLAIM HAVING BEEN MISSOLD.

What if I just want to discuss PPI reclaiming/ask a question?

Please do NOT post questions in this thread. Questions may be asked in the PPI reclaiming discussion thread where, although not guaranteed, it is more likely somebody may be able to help you.

Happy to tell your story in a newspaper/on TV?

There are over 20m PPI policies in the UK and its a £5bn a year industry; yet I believe a very substantial proportion of those were missold and I want to spread the word. We need to make PPI reclaiming as big as bank charges reclaiming and Mortgage Exit Fee reclaiming.

I need your help

To spread the word, I need case studies, people who've been placed on hold or succeeded and are willing to tell their story to encourage others to take on the banks and reclaim.

If you're willing to do this, please e-mail casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com (sorry but we can't answer questions at this email address) with as much of the following info as you can:

* how much was your loan/card balance
    * how much did you get back
    * who was your lender
    * a daytime phone number - we often need to reach people at very short notice
    * whether you are happy to appear in the papers,tv or both
    * where you live
    * did you use our template letters
    * did you go to the Ombusdman, court or use a claims handler

We really appreciate anyone that can help us with this but of course also please report your story below.

Thanks
    Martin
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 06-06-2012 at 6:58 PM.
Page 1884
    • hethmar
    • By hethmar 4th Oct 19, 3:16 PM
    • 10,401 Posts
    • 9,828 Thanks
    hethmar
    Thanks for the replies.

I claimed within time and I was sent sparse details by Santander. They state I had PPI on one policy out of three they had found but dont say what for or when.

Basically I wanted to know how you go about getting further details and where I go from here.

Re the policy I mentioned and I doubt its the one santander came up with as its so long ago -but - I can distinctly remember that it stated that only employees were covered not self employed. But by the by as I think they wouldnt have even picked up on that one nearly 30 years ago

Sounds like only route is to try to speak to them direct Thanks for your input.
    • aerofly
    • By aerofly 8th Oct 19, 1:41 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    aerofly
    After taking your advice on the website I’ve just been successful in getting £146 compensation for PPI on my old Lloyd’s credit card.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th Oct 19, 11:59 PM
    • 24,909 Posts
    • 14,425 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    After taking your advice on the website I’ve just been successful in getting £146 compensation for PPI on my old Lloyd’s credit card.
    Originally posted by aerofly
    Don't spend it all at once..
    • ruach54
    • By ruach54 11th Oct 19, 4:51 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ruach54
    amazing reclaim success
    Many many thanks to Martin and Resolver for help in reclaiming PPI from various companies. I applied to 9 different companies from August 2018 to August 2019 and was successful in 6. In total over £13,000 paid back which has been life changing. I kept telling all my friends to apply before the deadline. Thank you so much!
    • Jassers
    • By Jassers 11th Oct 19, 9:29 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Jassers
    Ppi
    Since starting the claims process I have now finalised the total received as £14540.00. 14 grand woohoo!!Has cleared all y debts and set me on clear path for the future without any financial worries. Literally changed my life as no more money worries. Thanks all to this site - would not have claimed without aseeing al the advice and blog stories. Happy retirement from now on.

Just need to fill in the R40 tax reclaim form and hope to get £200 back as ordinary rate taxpayer on pensions.
    Last edited by Jassers; 11-10-2019 at 9:37 PM.
    • Tatlasis
    • By Tatlasis 12th Oct 19, 8:00 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tatlasis
    How long
    Brilliant news. How long did the process take.
    • Sally3
    • By Sally3 13th Oct 19, 12:14 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Sally3
    May I also ask did you manage to retrieve statements from Barclaycard from the 1990's or did you have copies yourself?
    My case is currently being considered. I challenged the amount refunded and supplied statements. I'm awaiting a decision. The PPI was from 1996-2004.
    Not expecting further redress but, you never know!!
    Sorry I didnt know there was a reply here. I only had an account number. They even linked that to another account I had no idea about and I got PPI for that one too. They are, so far, the only bank that have been on the ball quickly.
    • Sally3
    • By Sally3 13th Oct 19, 12:18 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Sally3
    Hi commoditygirl, did you make a Subject Access Request for your statements or did you already have them? Kind regards
    Originally posted by topoftherock
    No I had no statements I only quoted an account number, they linked it to another and I got the PPI out of the blue for the two!
    • 0netrack
    • By 0netrack 26th Oct 19, 1:42 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    0netrack
    PPI Unexpected Offer
    Hi everyone,

I put in a PPI claim to Halifax for an old bank account, a credit card and one loan. I knew that when I set up the loan in about 2003 I had declined PPI (which seems to really upset them, they claimed I should have it and no-one turns it down!).

So I really wasn't expecting anything, meaning I was surprised when I opened a letter today offering me a payout. It's not a huge amount, just over £100, but what is confusing me is why they have given it me! I won't go into all the details, but this is a summary:

The letter mentions two Loans (I only remember 1 - the second appears to be refinancing the first which I have no recollection of). Under decision, for the first loan it says '30 Day Cancellation - No Premiums Paid or Premiums Refunded'. The second says 'No PPI'. Unfair relationship assessment is blank for both. And then next to the second loan, the 'Amount you'll receive' is just over £100.

Appendix A confirms both of these assessments in slightly more detail. So far, there is no reason for any payment!

Appendix B gives the full breakdown. The text at the top says as follows: 'My offer for [second loan ref] includes a refund for the extra amounts you paid when you refinanced your loan, plus additional compensatory interest. The outstanding balance on the loan you refinanced was higher because you had PPI. So, your next loan amount and the repayments for it were larger. As some of the cost of your PPI from your first loan was refinanced into your later loan, part of the amount you paid for PPI (including any commission and profit share) from an earlier loan appears in the figures for your later loan. This is detailed in the breakdown below.'

But how can this be true if I didn't have any PPI on the first loan?

The most relevant bits in the calculation tables appear to be as follows (figures rounded):

'The cost of the single premium PPI policy added to the loan (N/A for regular premium PPI policies). ~ £1,100 [This amount is for the first loan and doesn't appear to carry down anywhere else, but I'm surprised to see it, especially in reference to the first loan]

All the rest are in the second loan column:

'Amount added to the loan that you would not have borrowed without PPI on your previous loan(s)' ~ £30.00

'The extra amount you paid when you refinanced/early settled your loan due to the PPI on previous loan(s) linked to this loan' ~ £17.00

'Other direct losses: If you've incurred further losses as a result of your PPI policy, it will be added here. This type of loss is often referred to as consequential loss' ~ £10.00

The rest is interest, then tax deducted.

While I am sure many would say I should just be grateful that I got some money when I never even took out PPI, this all just seems a bit odd. Firstly, I don't recall every refinancing or taking out a second loan. Unfortunately I don't have any of the paperwork for the loan still to check at what point the loan reference numbers changed. Secondly, if there is PPI associated with my loan, this is not just a case of miss-selling - I specifically asked them to remove the PPI product and I remember it very well.

What does everyone think? Should I just shut up and take the money? Would it at least be worth referring to the Financial Ombudsman? To be clear, I'm not after more money, I just feel that this may require further investigation, especially given that I declined the PPI product.
    • hollowhead
    • By hollowhead 26th Oct 19, 2:08 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 1,727 Thanks
    hollowhead
    I have been trying to reclaim on a few store cards. I was t working in the 90s but they say they need proof that I wasn’t working ! Any ideas how I could get proof?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 26th Oct 19, 3:55 PM
    • 24,909 Posts
    • 14,425 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I have been trying to reclaim on a few store cards. I was t working in the 90s but they say they need proof that I wasn’t working ! Any ideas how I could get proof?
    Originally posted by hollowhead
    Decades on, it's going to be very difficult proving a negative unless you were a student.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 26th Oct 19, 5:28 PM
    • 24,909 Posts
    • 14,425 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Would it at least be worth referring to the Financial Ombudsman? To be clear, I'm not after more money, I just feel that this may require further investigation, especially given that I declined the PPI product.
    Originally posted by 0netrack
    To what end would you refer this to the Ombudsman? The breakdown of your refund seems clear enough to me. You agreed to and then cancelled the PPI on your original loan, but then subsequently took a consolidation loan which attracted more interest and costs than it would otherwise have done. Your £100 refund is simply to put you back into the position you would have been in if you hadn't ever had PPI in the first place. It's a minimal amount even with the 8% interest you've received after 16 years because you were only ever out-of-pocket minimally. There is no refund of actual PPI, however, because you didn't pay any.

You can hardly refer what amounts to an upheld "complaint" to the Ombudsman and, if you do, they'll just explain exactly as the Bank have done based on the records. The Ombudsman can't investigate your accusation of mis-selling since the sale was cancelled!
    I specifically asked them to remove the PPI product and I remember it very well.
    Originally posted by 0netrack
    and they did!
    Their records that you cancelled the PPI 16 years ago during the cooling off period obviously trump your faulty memory of events, a fact borne out by you also failing to remember that you later re-financed the loan with a further one.

Just enjoy your refund (and don't spend it all at once )
    • middlewife
    • By middlewife 10th Nov 19, 8:22 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    middlewife
    Santander personal loan success
    I submitted a series of claims for personal loan ppis taken out over the last 30 years with Alliance & Leicester, Cahoot, Abbey National and Santander. Like many others Santander confirmed policy numbers where we had taken out PPI but would not confirm when or with which provider. No matter, I submitted them anyway and just left the boxes blank. My reasons for claiming were that either the insurance was added without my consent, or without adequate explanation and was irrelevant as my OH was made redundant twice during that period and managed to find work before the exclusion period expired each time, so rendering the policies useless. I also claimed Plevin.
    I was somewhat stunned to receive a letter relating to just ONE of the 5 policies informing me I was refunded £3304 !! Considering that the maximum we ever borrowed was 20K and the average was 10K I am gob-smacked. Especially as Santander is our mortgage provider and have done nothing to help us when OH was made redundant, refusing all requests to either remortgage or extend loan terms or convert to repayment. I am so glad I did this, hope others also have success
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

181Posts Today

2,052Users online

Martin's Twitter