Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 3
  • Kill For A Seat
    Thanks: I just had to shell out an extra 65 because the bloody thing doesn't default to today's date, so I arrived at the station to realise the tickets were for tomorrow..

Silly me for assuming that when it says 'Split on-the-day & advance tickets' you'd have used the same format as the app, you know, for walk-on tickets for travel today. I doubt I'll be the only person who makes this mistake: let me know when you clarify it on the site? I appreciate that Martin and team have saved me over 65 over the years, but this is a black mark!

Silky
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 26th Sep 14, 2:48 PM
    • 18,662 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    I have done this journey many times with tickets bought through the trainline.com.
    Originally posted by MozartsForge
    If you were to buy through one of the train operating company's websites, you would save even more by avoiding the trainline's fees.

• yorkie2
    • By yorkie2 26th Sep 14, 10:28 PM
    • 1,404 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    yorkie2
    Indeed and with barriers at Newcastle you will get caught. Though I seem to remember a case where East coast dropped the extra charge made on someone who was stopping short but I think thats because the press were all over it. Not really heard of them doing so at other times though.
    Originally posted by Jeff Bridges hair
    A passenger is permitted to use station facilities, which doesn't constitute a break of journey. There is a pub at Newcastle station (or was, last time I was there!), for example. This is on the unpaid side of the gateline. Staff should let you through to use station facilities in the unlikely event that the ticket does not actually work the gate anyway.

However, as you say, finishing short isn't permitted. So if you then left the pub and didn't go back through the gateline, and instead exited the station, that would be a breach of the T&Cs, albeit an undetectable one, but not one we can condone of course.

The correct action as defined in the NRCoC is to charge an excess to the lowest priced ticket that does permit break of journey (e.g. the difference between the Advance and Super Off Peak Single, if the latter allows BOJ). However it is rail industry policy to allow passengers to exit without charge, unless there is evidence of an attempt to avoid the correct fare.

The Professor in the case you refer to was incorrectly charged a new Anytime ticket. This charge was, of course, dropped immediately. This was both incorrect under the NRCoC and also under the rail industry (including East Coast's) policy on the matter.

A member of EC gateline staff claimed that " Prof. Evans was always free to leave the station, just like everyone else in a similar situation" and that he asked to be issued with a ticket for publicity purposes. Another member of EC gateline staff also claimed this. However the Professor concerned disputed this claim.

Either way, whoever is telling the truth about the incident, the policy is to allow passengers to exit without charge, but the NRCoC does allow for an excess to be charged, but not a new ticket.
    • FLOPPYJOE
    • By FLOPPYJOE 27th Sep 14, 12:11 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    FLOPPYJOE
    Totally agree about booking direct with the normal train companies.A for instance a single Doncaster to Edinburgh on Sunday 14th December is 15.50 direct with East coast the same journey through this ticket split is 17.40p and then the trainline.con are wanting a booking fee on top of 1.50 making it 18.90.Dream on train line.com you are a rip off joke.Book the journeys directly through each train companies own website,thats the best way of saving money
    • yorkie2
    • By yorkie2 29th Sep 14, 11:10 PM
    • 1,404 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    yorkie2
    Totally agree about booking direct with the normal train companies.A for instance a single Doncaster to Edinburgh on Sunday 14th December is 15.50 direct with East coast the same journey through this ticket split is 17.40p and then the trainline.con are wanting a booking fee on top of 1.50 making it 18.90.Dream on train line.com you are a rip off joke.Book the journeys directly through each train companies own website,thats the best way of saving money
    Originally posted by FLOPPYJOE
    In most cases the tickets are the same price booked with any website, except as you quite rightly say Thetrainline adds ludicrous booking fees.

In the case you cite, East Coast offer a discount of up to 11% off their own Advance fares when booked through their website. However this is an exception. Other exceptions include EMT offering 1 off their own Advance fares and TPE increase the discount for 16-25 Railcard holders from 34% off to 50% when booked through a special link on their site, again only applicable for their own Advance fares. But, in nearly all other cases, the fare will be the same....

...unless it's cheaper to "split", in which case Trainsplit will be cheaper. However at present Trainsplit cannot offer split Advance fares, nor Travelcards, but these developments are in the pipeline.
  • Nev Shaw
    TicketySplit
    Very good but it is cheaper using The Trainline website direct.

Tickets to London and back on TicketySplit 114.90

ON The Trainline website 96.40 using there help to use single tickets.

NEED MORE WORK....

This does not take into account the 1.50 booking fee and therefore cost even more.

This is not saving money... must try harder
    Last edited by Nev Shaw; 30-09-2014 at 8:02 PM. Reason: More info
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 30th Sep 14, 8:26 PM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    Tickets to London and back on TicketySplit 114.90

ON The Trainline website 96.40 using there help to use single tickets.

Originally posted by Nev Shaw

Pretty useless feedback if you don't say what the journey is
  • Racquetschamp
    Do your research
    I still think it's worth doing your own research, especially if you can be flexible with times. I got a ticket from Preston to Newcastle with 16-25 railcard down to 7.55, for a ticket which was quoted as 40 on East Coast, but I didn't use ticketysplit. This is one of the regular journeys that I book so I knew to split the ticket at Carlisle. The tool is handy for helping you find out where you could split your ticket if you don't already know, but always check yourself via the operators for the prices. It's well worth the bit of time it takes.
  • Puffin9687
    Colchester to Wakefield Check
    5th November: Colchester to Wakefield: 7-23 depart.
    14-85 via this site, with no (as expected) split available.
    14-55 if booked via East Coast.
    I don't know what the additional booking fee is for Trainline but there is no booking fee on East Coast.
    Can get there for 8-50 on the same day using East Coast if I'm willing to travel later (13-23 depart)

So I think my best option is to use this tool (in addition to my own research) to see if there is a split available, and then book via East Coast. Depending on the total cost of my booking session I may then also get 'reward' points to go towards my next East Coast free train journey!

Conclusion: May be useful for those who don't travel regularly by train, but not so useful for those of us who do quite a lot of travelling by train, especially for our regular journeys.
    • Jeff Bridges hair
    • By Jeff Bridges hair 3rd Oct 14, 2:03 PM
    • 5,952 Posts
    • 7,233 Thanks
    Jeff Bridges hair
    A passenger is permitted to use station facilities, which doesn't constitute a break of journey. There is a pub at Newcastle station (or was, last time I was there!), for example. This is on the unpaid side of the gateline. Staff should let you through to use station facilities in the unlikely event that the ticket does not actually work the gate anyway.

Originally posted by yorkie2
    Yes, I know that but the advance ticket they were talking about would not let them have any reason to get off the train at Newcastle given its a direct XC service from Temple meads- unless of course it was with connections.

The Professor in the case you refer to was incorrectly charged a new Anytime ticket. This charge was, of course, dropped immediately. This was both incorrect under the NRCoC and also under the rail industry (including East Coast's) policy on the matter.

A member of EC gateline staff claimed that " Prof. Evans was always free to leave the station, just like everyone else in a similar situation" and that he asked to be issued with a ticket for publicity purposes. Another member of EC gateline staff also claimed this. However the Professor concerned disputed this claim.

Either way, whoever is telling the truth about the incident, the policy is to allow passengers to exit without charge, but the NRCoC does allow for an excess to be charged, but not a new ticket
    Memory isnt pin sharp with all the details on it as was a couple of years go.
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
    • yorkie2
    • By yorkie2 3rd Oct 14, 4:40 PM
    • 1,404 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    yorkie2
    Yes, I know that but the advance ticket they were talking about would not let them have any reason to get off the train at Newcastle given its a direct XC service from Temple meads- unless of course it was with connections.
    Agreed, unless the passenger is feeling ill, it might be tricky to justify.
    Memory isnt pin sharp with all the details on it as was a couple of years go.
    I thought it felt like a couple of years ago, but amazingly it's now 4 years ago (almost to the day)! Time flies...
  • smiley-sue
    Great starting point
    Great tool and easy to use but the prices quoted are not always the best. Haverfordwest to Cardiff quoted as part of the split at 12 but on both websites I checked normal price was 10. On the second half of my journey price quoted was 22, price quoted on websites 34!
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 4th Oct 14, 12:05 AM
    • 18,662 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Great tool and easy to use but the prices quoted are not always the best. Haverfordwest to Cardiff quoted as part of the split at 12 but on both websites I checked normal price was 10. On the second half of my journey price quoted was 22, price quoted on websites 34!
    Originally posted by smiley-sue
    Was that 12 perhaps the minimum fare with a 16-25 railcard?
    From that railcard's T&Cs:
    A 12 minimum fare applies for journeys starting between 4.30am-10am Monday to Friday excluding Advance Fares. This minimum fare does not apply on Public Holidays or throughout July and August.
    Unless you can be more open about the origins and destinations and splitting points then that feedback is not as useful as it could be.
    • Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 4th Oct 14, 8:57 AM
    • 20,522 Posts
    • 44,068 Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum
    May not be much but saved 4 on exactly the same journey & changes between Oxford & Nottingham on a Student Railcard.

Will be more when my daughter buys her own tickets.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
    • jamesbrownontheroad
    • By jamesbrownontheroad 5th Oct 14, 7:26 AM
    • 582 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    jamesbrownontheroad
    I tested the new Tickety Split this morning, using some regular routes that I know to split both Advance and Off Peak single fares on.

It still needs some work. It couldn't spot the following example...

03/11/2014: 0651 Norwich - Nottingham 0926. Cheapest fare currently available 26 Advance Single (25 on website of East Midlands Trains).

0651 Norwich - Peterborough 0822 12 Advance Single (11 on EMT website)
    0826 Peterborough - Nottingham 0926 10 (9 on EMT website) Advance Single = 22 (20 on EMT website)

Frankly, it's disappointing that MSE have had to shack up with thetrainline to enable this software. No company has done more to confuse the traveling public about finding cheap train fares than thetrainline, with misleading advertising that implies only they have access to the cheapest train tickets before whacking booking fees on top of every sale.

Sorry to be a bore, but if you're reading this thread, NEVER use thetrainline.com ... always book direct with the train operators to save the booking fee and to take advantage of operators' discounts on their own Advance fares.

The example above is another example of why MSE should compile a crystal clear list of which train operators offer discounts on their own Advance fares. As other forum users have noted, East Coast discount their own Advance tickets by up to 11% and (in my example above) East Midlands Trains discount their own Advance tickets by 1. This makes splitting tickets on a return journey with EMT even better value, as a 2 discount on two Advance single fares becomes a 4 discount on four Advance single fares!
    Last edited by jamesbrownontheroad; 05-10-2014 at 7:37 AM. Reason: East Coast discount corrected
  • Duvetdo
    Saved nearly 100!
    Taking Martin's advice I booked a journey from Bristol to Stratford via Birmingham New Street. Total cost (First Class) 124.

Split the journey, Bristol to Birmingham and then Birmingham to Stratford - 37!

The only part of the journey it was possible to go First Class was the first leg, so they wanted to charge me 87 to go First when the train didn't have a First carriage. Cheeky so-in-so's.

Cheers MSE!
    • JenE
    • By JenE 6th Oct 14, 7:02 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    JenE
    Just saved 37 getting to Peterborough (from Leeds) on Wednesday - total return cost with East Coast 112, after ticketysplit (split in Doncaster) 75! And going first class on the way there!
    Just shows the madness of the ticketing system - thank you MSE
    Last edited by JenE; 06-10-2014 at 7:05 PM.
  • CM2010
    Hi. It is a shame this search doesn't include an advanced search option with via or avoid. I save quite a bit on train tickets from SW to SE by avoiding London. Most train operator websites offer this facility. So agree with other comments - useful to use - but also useful to do own research.
  • Kati
    Didn't work very well
    Original price: 145
    TicketySplit price: 80.50
    My price (exactly the same journey but split at a more obvious station): 42.20

Think I'll just keep spliting manually for now.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 7th Oct 14, 11:13 AM
    • 18,662 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Original price: 145
    TicketySplit price: 80.50
    My price (exactly the same journey but split at a more obvious station): 42.20

Think I'll just keep spliting manually for now.
    Originally posted by Kati
    Once again we have feedback which is no use to anyone.

Why haven't you stated the journey?

Where are the two splitting points you mention?

Why did you not mention the ticket types?

Unfortunately the developer will be unable to investigate your issue and correct the problem without information.
    Last edited by wealdroam; 07-10-2014 at 1:56 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,545Posts Today

7,304Users online

Martin's Twitter