Refusal to refund / exchange - Business in administration

Hi Folks,
I bought an alternator for my car 3 months ago from MotorMania. It's never been right since day one, sometimes charging , sometimes not. Anyway last week it died totally. I rang Motormania to order a new one under warranty. They agreed and arranged for me to pick it up yesterday.
I got a phone call on Saturday saying that as they were in administration now I had two choices.

1. Return the alternator , purchase a new one and when the manufacturer of the alternator refunds them for the alternator I would get my money back.

2. Return alternator and wait for the manufacturer to send out a replacement. No definite time scale was offered , but I got the impression we were talking weeks, not days.

Neither of these options I am happy with. I have no trust in them whatsoever anymore. I cant go with option 2 as it would render the vehicle immobile. There is no way I will go with option one as I am not paying twice for a defective part and I very much doubt I'll see any refund.

The guy was adamant that they were not obliged to offer anything else as there were in administration.

Is this true ?

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Motormania which was a trading name of Richard C Hartley Limited is indeed currently in administration.

(Note that other businesses also trade under the name Motormania and their business is not affected)

Now assuming the business you bought from is the one in administration, I can advise you that notwithstanding the administration, your statutory rights are not affected.
    However, enforcing them may be somewhat difficult.

What I would suggest is that you first contact the administrators, Grant Thornton on 0121 232 5177.

It may be that the administrators agree with your claim and offer you a refund or replacement, but if they don't you will just fall into the pot of other creditors wanting their money and I'm afraid in that case you will not get any refund or replacement.

How did you originally pay for the item you purchased? If that was by credit or debit card, it may be possible for you to recover the money paid for the faulty item from the card provider, so worth a try asking them.

I would suggest you go any buy another alternator elsewhere in the meantime to keep your car on the road.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport