Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 4th Jan 07, 5:39 PM
    • 8,116Posts
    • 42,310Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Split Ticketing: Report successful routes here
    • 4th Jan 07, 5:39 PM
    Split Ticketing: Report successful routes here 4th Jan 07 at 5:39 PM

This thread is specifically for reporting successful

SPLIT TICKETING ROUTES

as mentioned in my

For OTHER ISSUES please use the
    Cheapest Train Fares Discussion Thread

To add a comment just click reply

Last edited by MSE Martin; 09-01-2007 at 8:35 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 2
  • Hip Priest
    Travelling from London
    Tickets out of London attract a premium price so it essential to split your journey unless you are travelling on the old Southern Region (basically south of the Thames) of from Fenchurch Street where Network Card discounts apply throughout apart from morning rushhours.
    For other directions buy a ticket to the edge of the Network Card boundary if you can.
    From Paddington buy a ticket to Reading/Didcot/Oxford/Banbury then other ones to your destination
    From Marylebone best deal are "Just 15" tickets all the way to Birmingham and back although these are time restricted
    From Euston buy to Milton Keynes, or if time is not an issue via Northampton.
    From St Pancras buy to Luton/Bedford
    From Kings Cross buy to Stevenage or if time is not an issue to Huntingdon
    From Liverpool Street buy to Manningtree

By following this rule my day trips from the Capital to all points to watch football are generally halved in price.
    • DjP
    • By DjP 11th Jan 07, 1:03 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    DjP
    Hmmm

Thanks anyway

but I've never managed to make any of these work

Milton Keynes????

London to Preston super saver return (Young Persons)
    £41.50

London to Milton Keynes super saver return (YP)
    £14.85
    Milton Keynes to Preston super saver return (YP)
    £35.05
    Total = £49.90

LOSE £8.40

hmmm

thanks anyway
  • Hip Priest
    Naturally if you have a nationwide card this affects things but I've made the following savings (ticket prices are approx and will have changed)
    London to Yate (Glos) I paid 27 via Didcot rather than 39 from London
    London to Rugby via Northampton I paid 17 rather than 30 direct
    London to Ipswich via Manningtree I paid 27 rather than 51 direct
    London to Kettering via Bedford I paid 20 rather than 50 direct
    • froggy27
    • By froggy27 11th Jan 07, 2:55 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    froggy27
    My partner works in the North and we live in Surrey/Soutwest london border... he used to pay for about 60gbp return but now with a bit of planning... and after reading it on MSE few months back we book singles each way and the price has gone down a lot.. At the moment GNER is having special offers and Doncaster-London going friday and back Monday were at 7.50gbp each way.....needless to say we booked it for few weeks to come!!!
    A friend is a present which you give yourself (R.Stevenson)
    Happiness seems made to be shared (Jean Racine)
  • ermintrude75
    Split ticketing
    Norwich to Midlands destinations (e.g. Nottingham, Birmingham):

Split at Peterborough and Leicester. (Not sure how this is affected by the relatively recent Central Trains cheap advance tickets though).

Norwich to London:

If there are no cheap One tickets left (singles as low as 5, so worth checking with them direct), you can get an Anglia Day Pass (off peak only) to Cambridge for 9, and a return or two singles to London from there. It takes longer but savings can be substantial for periods that are off-peak commuter-wise but still busy (e.g. bank holiday weekends).
    • rtwuk
    • By rtwuk 11th Jan 07, 9:03 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    rtwuk
    Chiltern Line stations south of Banbury

Also try splitting tickets at Birmingham Snow Hill.

I did Gerrards Cross <> Kidderminster a year or so ago (leaving at 07.18 on a weekday and back the same day), and it was cheaper to split at Birmingham Snow Hill and get 2 returns Gerards Cross<>Birmingham Snow Hill and Birmingham Snow Hill<>Kidderminster.

This was before the 15 cheap ticket return referred to earlier in this thread
    • rtwuk
    • By rtwuk 11th Jan 07, 9:05 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    rtwuk
    Don't split in London.

If you travel through London, consider not splitting in London.

Example Edinburgh<>Gerrards Cross return via Kings Cross and Marylebone is cheaper with one through return ticket than Edinburgh<>Kings Cross, tube tickets and Marylebone<>Gerrards Cross.
  • moonrakerz
    On the Bath to London front the following are all possible:

Saver Return (most trains, return within one month): 45 (30 railcard)
    by lg06111985
    Not quite fare splitting - but don't forget the alternative route as well. There are two through trains a day from Bristol to Waterloo (and back !) with South West trains via Salisbury.
    I know it takes longer, but the fares start from 17.70 !
    • alanrowell
    • By alanrowell 11th Jan 07, 10:01 PM
    • 5,299 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    alanrowell
    Not quite fare splitting - but don't forget the alternative route as well. There are two through trains a day from Bristol to Waterloo (and back !) with South West trains via Salisbury.
    I know it takes longer, but the fares start from 17.70 !
    by moonrakerz
    And for people visiting Bath you might (depending on ticket) be able to break your trip & visit Stonehenge / Avebury as well as Salisbury Cathedral
  • LisaChristie
    Hi All

My mate needs to go from Redhill to York, think he may have to go through London. Which is the cheapest way of getting his ticket?

GNER won't let him search online as it's over 3months away.

Thank you

Comp Wins so far in 2007:
    Jessica Parker Perfume and Body Lotion/Food Steamer
    • sparkymark
    • By sparkymark 12th Jan 07, 10:36 AM
    • 232 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    sparkymark
    Norwich to London:

If there are no cheap One tickets left (singles as low as £5, so worth checking with them direct), you can get an Anglia Day Pass (off peak only) to Cambridge for £9, and a return or two singles to London from there. It takes longer but savings can be substantial for periods that are off-peak commuter-wise but still busy (e.g. bank holiday weekends).[/QUOTE]

UPDATE

The Anglia plus one day pass has been £11.00 for a while now (also singles start from £6.00 since Jan 2nd, book in advance specified train only)
  • SAG
    Leeds to Cambridge
    Do have to change in Peterborough anyway, but much cheaper to buy the GNER bit to Peterborough as singles then saver return from Peterborough to Cambridge.
    GNER website also has 10% discount when buying their tickets on line AND no charge for paying buy credit card (neither did Virgin Trains site last time I used it).

Hope this helps (it's my first post!)
  • dalumsden1
    Glasgow Qn Street to Perth, Perth to Dundee

The guy selling the tickets advised me this was the cheaper option without me enquiring.
    If I had words to make a day for you,
    I'd sing you a morning golden and new.
    I would make this day last for all time,
    Give you a night deep with moonshine.
  • the_geary
    Ely to Edinburgh
    Going via the GNER website and getting their extra 10% off, by splitting the Ely-Edinburgh trip at Peterboroug, I managed to get singles 2xEly-P, 2xP-Edin, and back the same... for less than the saver return and advance tickets that were given on National Rail site.
    The best bit - the GNER sections are also first class!

Took a bit of to-and-froing between pages to check out properly, could have done it even cheaper but was keen to go First Class (long journey-more room ). There are cheaper tickets all along the direct GNER London-Scotland route, so well worth looking at splitting the journey.
    • firesidemaid
    • By firesidemaid 26th Jan 07, 3:07 AM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 3,133 Thanks
    firesidemaid
    kettering to margate (?)
    don't ask why!.......

anyway, it brought up some interesting finds......

the full price for dates in late march was 58.60 saver. my mum was also travelling to meet me but from newton abbot to margate.

i could get hers for 34.00 (2 singles) and could get cheap midland mainline singles for me from kettering to london (6 each), but the timings meant i couldn't get a cheap break ticket from victoria to margate.

solution: bought 2 singles from swindon to margate and back at 12.00 each (tried loads of options and found this the cheapest). i will only use the london to margate bit, but it's cheaper! means i can still do the whole journey and meet mum in london total 36.00.

(plus we got room in newly opening travelodge in margate for 15 per night)
    • firesidemaid
    • By firesidemaid 26th Jan 07, 3:08 AM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 3,133 Thanks
    firesidemaid
    kettering to margate (?)
    don't ask why!.......

anyway, it brought up some interesting finds......

the full price for dates in late march was £58.60 saver. my mum was also travelling to meet me but from newton abbot to margate.

i could get hers for £34.00 (2 singles) and could get cheap midland mainline singles for me from kettering to london (£6 each), but the timings meant i couldn't get a cheap break ticket from victoria to margate.

solution: bought 2 singles from swindon to margate and back at £12.00 each (tried loads of options and found this the cheapest). i will only use the london to margate bit, but it's cheaper! means i can still do the whole journey and meet mum in london and we travel on same train to margate - total £36.00.

(plus we got room in newly opening travelodge in margate for £15 per night)
  • benhill
    Truro - Cardiff (and back!)
    Hope this makes sense, as I did it in notepad, and am just pasting across. Whilst these are specific times, the journeys are fairly regular and so can be done at any other time (I reckon). The travelling days are Friday and then Monday.

Choosing to take the return leg from Newport makes sense for me as I live equidistance from Newport and Cardiff; it costs just the same from Cardiff though.

Ben

2nd March:

Truro - Plymouth : 10:06 - 11:17 4.50 Virgin Trains
    Plymouth - Bristol Temple Meads : 11:50 - 13:51 1 + 0.50 Megatrain
    Bristol Temple Meads - Newport : 14:24 - 15:00} First Great Western
    Newport - Cardiff Central : 15:05 - 15:20}2.50 First Great Western

5th March:

Newport - Bristol Temple Meads : 09:44 - 10:17 3.50 First Great Western
    Bristol Temple Meads - Plymouth : 10:44 - 12:48 1 + 0.00 Megatrain
    Plymouth - Truro : 13:09 - 14:21 3.50 First Great Western

_____

16.50 (without Young Person's railcard)

(it was around 67!!)
    • ajdj
    • By ajdj 28th Jan 07, 8:01 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 1,224 Thanks
    ajdj
    Chiltern e-tickets by text message
    Can't see it mentioned anywhere but Chiltern have introduced tickets by text message. They send a bar code by text which is scanned on the train by the conductor.

You can book right up to the night before you go and get a great selection of times (loads more than print your tickets option).

Example, I've just booked 2 single tickets for my trip to London from Birmingham for £10 total (tickets are £5 each way). Means it is cheaper than Chilterns £15 cheap return tickets. Cheapest Virgin option was singles totalling £33.
    • MushyPeas
    • By MushyPeas 30th Jan 07, 3:50 PM
    • 3,091 Posts
    • 7,891 Thanks
    MushyPeas
    Liskeard/Plymouth to London?
    Hiya

I make the trip from the South West to the smoke, and return, every week. I've looked at splitting at Bristol, but it doesn't seem to be any cheaper. Has anyone else managed to reduce the price on such a journey?

Thanks in advance!
    Previous debt: 14K Debt free: Sept '03 MFW#42 Mortgage OP savings 4271.18/12000 2019 Started dating OH Mar '12, married Oct '12, Walnut born Dec ' 12 SPC 12: 99 38.05/500 Make money Jan: 412.34/310 Feb: 88.79/280 May: 215.52/310 June: 18.98/300
  • LCLC
    London to Norwich Splitting
    I was quoted 39.50 for the above trip, cheap day return.
    Through splitting I found that London-Waterbeach was 18.50; Cambridge to Norwich (stopping at Waterbeach) was 17.40... Total therefore a bit less...
    however, the real saving was that when I got to Cambridge, there's a ticket called a Ranger, which is unlimited travel for a day in the region, i.e. that got me to Norwich from there, for another 11. Sadly didn't know about that, and it's not available online. Go figure.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,725Posts Today

8,440Users online

Martin's Twitter