Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oops a daisy
    • By oops a daisy 10th Mar 06, 12:20 PM
    • 2,427Posts
    • 3,467Thanks
    oops a daisy
    1.99 Plumming and Drainage Insurance Cover
    • 10th Mar 06, 12:20 PM
    1.99 Plumming and Drainage Insurance Cover 10th Mar 06 at 12:20 PM
    I have just been sent a letter offering Plumming & Drainage cover for just 1.99 per month for the first year. Annual charge is 23.88 so there is not extra interest charge for paying monthly. Cover is limited to 4000.00 for blocked or cloopsed drains outside your home ( 2 claims per year of 2000 ) and up to 2000 for plumming or drainage emergencies inside your home ( 2 claims per year of 1000 )
    The letter is from Northumbrian Water introducing HOMESERVE GB LTD. There is a freephone number to HOMESERVE 0800 073 2169 quoting reference number NOSP61D for this special offer.

Normal price is 64.99 per year so it would revert back to that upon renewal.

Just thought I would pass the information onto anybody who might interested.

OOPS A DAISY
Page 3
  • Captain Leaky
    I can confirm this -Severn Trent came out and rerouted and renewed our sewage pipes for nothing - some 5+K's worth of work. The key for this is to check your property title deeds and any easements contained therein. In our case, I live in a pre-1937 semi with a 'shared drain'. This means that Severn Trent treat this as a Public Sewer rather than a 'Private drain'. As has already bee said, the Govt changed the law whereby the water utilities will adopt ALL drains/sewers, regardless s to whether they are inside or outside your boundaries. The law comes into effect during 2011.
  • pianotuner
    Unnecessary cost of Drains/ Burst Pipe Insurance
    An update on Homeserve: My policy renewal arrived last week, up to 94 from 80 last year! Enough is enough. I had in previous years checked my Home Insurance policy and come to the conclusion that I wasn't covered for drains/water pipes. The above increase from Homeserve prompted me to ring my Home Insurers (Frizzells aka Liverpool Victoria), to see if they could provide cover. I was assured that I was ALREADY covered, for accidental damage (although if caused by subsidence, the excess is admittedly 1000).

It would seem that the only Homeserve benefits are 1) no excess, and 2) they will arrange fast access to a plumber. How much is that worth? Not 94!!

I rang Homeserve with this info, asking that the policy be cancelled. I was immediately offered a reduced quote - to 60!! I still cancelled.
    • Luckycat13
    • By Luckycat13 5th Feb 11, 12:31 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Luckycat13
    Plumbing and Drainage Insurance
    I have been reading about the insurance companies offering cover for damage and breakages to pipes and drains. My understanding is that all this is already covered by your normal house insurance or at least mine covers this as we have private drainage and I checked that if anything went wrong would they cover it and they said yes. So suggest everyone reads their policy before paying for something that may not be necessary.
  • Hamlet121
    Expensive
    My Homeserve, Plumbing, Drainage and Water Supply cover costs me 123.19 pa. I was persuaded to take it out because the British Gas HomeCare 400 policy I have didn't provide adequate cover, they said. My house insurance covers everything that Homeserve cover so I think I'll cancel.
    Also I have become increasingly suspicious. Homeserve have been badgering the residents (many very elderly) of a block of flats to take out cover when they don't need it. This behaviour is despicable.
  • hillmen
    Homeserve not to be trusted
    I have had cover with them for over 10 years and belived i was coved for a burst pipe in the supply pipe and the plumbing in the house +drainage, not so in my case .havehad 2 bursts in the supply pipe in the last 6 months ,the last on saturday last, neither repaired by homeserve both done by a plumber up the street after homeserve say not cover by use,but will send a man to have alook for afee of 549.99 our standerd call to fix surply pipe burst on saturday night , after 3 days with no water . man up the street back of holidays call round dig hole repairs pipe fill hole time 2 hours cost 80 lest the cost of last yers cover with homeserve and about 10% of the money i payed to homeserve over the year.
    I would not recermend them at all all they are after you money look at you home insurance cover you may be coved by that and if not find one that that will give cover and move , iam still looking hepl please
  • ian1969uk
    We must have been lucky but we've always had good service from Homeserve.

Electrical sockets, shower heating units, a burst pipe under the kitchen floor, a blocked drain at the back of the house.

All fixed by Homeserve with the minimum of fuss and I feel we've had very good value for our cover from them.
  • westendguy
    Just thought I would post to say I received notification today from AnglianWater that due to a change in the law, from October 2011 they will be adopting certain private sewers and lateral drains that are currently the responsibility of the householder.

https://www.anglianwater.co.uk/household/wastewater-services/Private-sewers-and-lateral-drains.aspx

Naturally (they say) this will result in a "small increase" in bills, but not apparently untill 2014.

Presumably this should also apply to other water authority areas, but it might be worth reviewing your need for, or existing drains cover in the light of this.
  • Mrs Ali
    I just want some help to understand exactly what is covered in the drainage and plumbing cover. At times when a cover is sold it looks very promising but once a claim is made then we realise that many things were not covered.
    I was looking for cover for my house and i want to know that when the cover provider says drainage problem out side your house, does it mean anything like if a pipe underneath my house is blocked or burst, will it be replaced! I know they have a money limit for everything but do they dig it and replace the existing faulty pipe.

Thanking you in anticipation
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 22nd Jun 12, 5:02 PM
    • 6,466 Posts
    • 2,985 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I just want some help to understand exactly what is covered in the drainage and plumbing cover. At times when a cover is sold it looks very promising but once a claim is made then we realise that many things were not covered.
    I was looking for cover for my house and i want to know that when the cover provider says drainage problem out side your house, does it mean anything like if a pipe underneath my house is blocked or burst, will it be replaced! I know they have a money limit for everything but do they dig it and replace the existing faulty pipe.

Thanking you in anticipation
    Originally posted by Mrs Ali
    What is covered is already covered by the council/water company. This goes for the 1.99 plan at least.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

267Posts Today

3,451Users online

Martin's Twitter